any idea what type of bullet head this is?

anyone idea what type of bullet head this is? very similar size to a .22 but very long, quite light and made of copper..

the pellet is a .22 eley wasp by the way.

(apologies in advance if this is anything obvious / common - just wondered myself)

post-9454-0-35973500-1304545067.jpg

My eyes are not what they were, and I'm not big on technology.

The Cartridge looks like a .22WMR, as for the head, it could be anything, pictures to small for my eyes! :good:

My eyes are not what they were, and I'm not big on technology.

The Cartridge looks like a .22WMR, as for the head, it could be anything, pictures to small for my eyes! :good:

its not a cartridge - the entire thing is the bullet head!! its copper and hollow - you are right about the size of the pic though - try this one ;

post-9454-0-74589300-1304591751.jpg

well- I tried to scale it - I made it approx = 6.5mm or 0.264" // with error maybe 0.257"

Gives possibility of :-

264 Winchester Magnum

6.5 Remington Magnum

6.5 Swedish Mauser ** my best fit ;)

257 Roberts

25-06 Remington

Cannot find anything else near that size ........... unless someone else knows different :blush:

Edited by pigeonstool

is it definitely a bullet? where did it come from?

it came from some derelict buildings / wasteland used by IMI, witton, birmingham, next to the river tame (early 90's) i picked it up along with loads of oddball stuff when i was growing up. the floor around a little wooden hut was literally covered in various sized lead shot, .22 lr heads, oddball munitions - not intact though - all bits., the factory i think had closed a long time before this - it was all derelict buildings. - we used to hand pick the SSG sized ones for the catapult. the entire floor aroud it was infact covered in various bits an pieces, went back a couple of years ago to see a nice new industrial estate on the site.

My vote would be for the 6.5. They use long for calibre bullets. I guess it could be a jacket that hasn't been filled with lead yet, or perhaps a bullet that's been burnt and all the lead has melted and fallen out? Is it hollow from the front or back? FMJ or tracer is the back, hunting/expanding the front.

My vote would be for the 6.5. They use long for calibre bullets. I guess it could be a jacket that hasn't been filled with lead yet, or perhaps a bullet that's been burnt and all the lead has melted and fallen out? Is it hollow from the front or back? FMJ or tracer is the back, hunting/expanding the front.

its hollow from the back - its all copper - no sign of a lead tip etc. i have got a few other bits and pieces that i will try and dig out of the shed which may be of interest - much bigger stuff - looking like ww2 remnants if i remember correctly - also - i think it might have been 'kynochs' old site.

well- I tried to scale it - I made it approx = 6.5mm or 0.264" // with error maybe 0.257"

Gives possibility of :-

264 Winchester Magnum

6.5 Remington Magnum

6.5 Swedish Mauser ** my best fit ;)

257 Roberts

25-06 Remington

Cannot find anything else near that size ........... unless someone else knows different :blush:

The 6.5mm is actually 6.7mm or 0.264 so if its 6.5mm its not the 6.5 Swedish. Looks an interesting bullet though, wouldnt mind giving it a go :)