Changed to .22lr

beanieboy

Funny thing guns

I have a Tula TOZ .22lr which I use for vermin control(wasclly wabbits)in the back garden (BIG back garden) and it seems happy with any thing I stick through it, except for CCI Blazer HV rounds which are very, very noisey cant hit the target at all consistantly got 320 odd sat in the cupboard good thing they were dirt cheap(2 euros for 50 Decathlon were selling them special)actually going to give them to my neighbour who goes range shooting with a 22 winchester type thing. Using subsonic CCI, remington and winchester all ok (and probably made by the same company).

Sodit

Edited by sodit

My cz .22lr american 20", loves eley subs and the worst were cci as these were loud,not accurate and jammed.

The mod i use is the scirroco which works fine although i have heard quieter ones,i just stripped the mod and the baffles have started to deform and this is after 800 rounds.

Watch out for the richochets in your new cz,especially if you are trying to push the range out in these dry conditions.

Good morning all - I am new to this forum, this being my first post. I have had a CZ American .17 HMR for a few years and have only recently started to shoot it in earnest. My son has taken an interest in shooting, and enjoys the rifle, hence the rifles recent outings. Have to say whilst the performance of this gun is very impressive, it seems, imo, just too much gun for rabbits. It is also very noisy and doesn't really allow for one to shoot without drawing attention. Moderators, as you chaps will know better than I, provide limited reduction. Even though the gun has only shot a couple of hundred rounds from new I took it to my local dealer and excanged it for a new .22lr in the same model, also buying a Parker hale moderator. I intend to use subsonic rounds only and would be grateful for some advice as to which one to go for. I know from reading through previous posts on this forum that views are mixed and that I will no doubt have to try a number of different rounds to see what goes best with my rifle [when I get it]. I would however be interested to hear which rounds you consider best in terms of accuracy, hard hitting etc.

PS Can anyone tell me how long the variation on my fac is likely to take for the change of rifle and the inclusion of the moderator? [i am from N Ireland]

Many thanks.

Even two different examples of the same make and model rifle can prefer different ammo so the only answer is to experiment. Your CZ is perfectly capable of a 1/2" group at 70 yrds with no fliers as some sort of guide. My HW60J loves Lapua SK for accuracy though they're horrors for ricocheting. Winchesters come a close second and they're good killers with their huge hollow in the nose. Haven't tried CCI subs but the hi-vel stingers which I occasionally use for tickling foxes are very accurate.

Even two different examples of the same make and model rifle can prefer different ammo so the only answer is to experiment. Your CZ is perfectly capable of a 1/2" group at 70 yrds with no fliers as some sort of guide. My HW60J loves Lapua SK for accuracy though they're horrors for ricocheting. Winchesters come a close second and they're good killers with their huge hollow in the nose. Haven't tried CCI subs but the hi-vel stingers which I occasionally use for tickling foxes are very accurate.

As you say even same make model i also have a HW60J and loves winnys the best , as apposed to yours with Laupa and the other with eleys ,but ive the carbine 13"barrel maybe the difference??

Edited by bongo321

Your dealers not far wrong,its changed alot in the past few months.

What part of N.I. are you in?

Hi

I am from a village in Co Armagh - my local gun dealer sells a lot of rifles, so hopefully he should be near enough when he talks about a 2/3 week turnaround. I wonder is there any issue changing from the HMR to the .22? - some reckon the police are more strict when it comes to the latter as they consider the .22 more dangerous due to ricohet problems.

Hi

I am from a village in Co Armagh - my local gun dealer sells a lot of rifles, so hopefully he should be near enough when he talks about a 2/3 week turnaround. I wonder is there any issue changing from the HMR to the .22? - some reckon the police are more strict when it comes to the latter as they consider the .22 more dangerous due to ricohet problems.

Your best bet is to phone FAE at Lisnasharragh and find out direct.Dont see any problems in changing from the HMR to .22 as there both rimfire's.

Your best bet is to phone FAE at Lisnasharragh and find out direct.Dont see any problems in changing from the HMR to .22 as there both rimfire's.

Yes, I tend to agree - can't see how one could honestly say one rifle is more dangerous than the other. I am always reluctant to ring to progress these matters in case I get their backs up and make things worse! I will however give them a bell if the time exceeds the 2/3 weeks mentioned.

I have shot many Winchester subsonics without problem, but managed to get a single box of Eley which seem to be even quieter and just as accurate.

interesting, I put a Winchester and RWS and an Eley through mine one after the other and they were the quietest to the loudest in that order.

The new Eley boxes get on my nerves, especially when the tray in the box comes away and either flat spots some of the bullets or spills the bloody lot!

I cant get much more than those three but they all perform relatively well.

Will stick with Winchester when these run out though, although the RWS are slower by some margin and avoid those stray cracks on a hot day when the bullet scrapes through the sound barrier!

I am from Armagh aswell,

Y dont you just get the hmr and .22 both on. I did, no questions asked. One for sub sonic close range use and the other for longer range vermin.

Garry

I am from Armagh aswell,

Y dont you just get the hmr and .22 both on. I did, no questions asked. One for sub sonic close range use and the other for longer range vermin.

Garry

Hi Garry

I just bought the HMR on a whim a few years ago, only fired a couple of hundred rounds out of it, I find it much too loud and way too wicked for rabbits. If I kept it I probably would never use it. I changed it for the same model in .22lr [CZ American]. The HMR I traded in would be a hell of a buy for someone as it is in absolute mint condition [depending what dealer will be asking for it].

Hi Garry

I just bought the HMR on a whim a few years ago, only fired a couple of hundred rounds out of it, I find it much too loud and way too wicked for rabbits. If I kept it I probably would never use it. I changed it for the same model in .22lr [CZ American]. The HMR I traded in would

be a hell of a buy for someone as it is in absolute mint condition [depending what dealer will be asking for it].

I like youreself found the same thing and then sold mine too after around 6 months of having it.

Its hard to beat the humble 22lr but having said that Im having a craving for the hmr again because I need a rifle for carrying with me in the tractor for shooting crows out the window whilst spreading slurry. Other than this the rifle for me has no purpose as my other centrefires do the job ten times better.

However instead of applying for another hmr for vermin I am going to apply for a 17 fireball and see if they will allow me one in the hmr's place for long range crow/rabbit etc.

It will be interesting to see what they say, worst they can say is no I suppose.

Garry

However instead of applying for another hmr for vermin I am going to apply for a 17 fireball and see if they will allow me one in the hmr's place for long range crow/rabbit etc.

It will be interesting to see what they say, worst they can say is no I suppose.

Garry

Been considering a .17 Remington aswell,let me know how you get on. :good:

I need a rifle for carrying with me in the tractor for shooting crows out the window whilst spreading slurry.

I do this as well :good: it's a handy way to pick them off. I had been using the shottie,but they seem to have got wise to the fact and now know to keep out of range. Hopefully when I get the hmr it'll give me a bit of an edge.