Damaged pellets.

SNAKEBITE

There are two schools of thought concerning the shootability of pellets with damaged skirts. One is that they do not shoot accuratley and the second is that the air blast from behind the pellet reforms the skirt and so they are accurate.

What is your personnal experience with this? (Not just opinions :) )

I can only give my experience on 35 ft lb and in answering your Question Snakey I deliberately crushed the Skirts between finger and thumb and noticed no difference to accuracy whatsoever when they were fired ........I did this experiment because I store my pellets in a leather pouch and as a result alot of the skirts get deformed and when loading at night you tend not to notice the damaged ones .....Now damage to the front of the pellet :):oops:

EDIT:

Darn, posted just after the above post. I will still try this, as my theory is that it would take FAC power to re shape the base of the pellet, and 12ftlbs will not effect the pellet much.

It is clear to me however that 12ftlbs is enough to 'stretch' the base just a fraction of a millimeter to fit the barrel tightly. But real damage is another thing.

Depending on the severaty of the damage.

When hunting, I do not chance the life of my quarry with a damaged pellet, so I bring it home and bin it. I dont want to risk injury.. so in goes a propper pellet.

On my plinking range, I often use lightly damaged pellets (eg damaged base, bent or similar) and usually its ok.

I see some myth busting for me here.

I will damage a set of pellets and fire them into soft matiriel to see if they really to expand to fit the barrel correctly and shoot accurate.

Pictures and a write up soon :)

Edited by Hunter

I never check 100% of pellets i shoot, maybe the flyers are becasue of damaged or deformed pellets maybe its just me jerking the trigger. The ones i do spot i couldnt comment on as i dont try my hardest to hit the paper when using them and when im in the field i pay a little more attention and just drop any deformed pellets so really cant comment. But i do think its more in the mind than in the rifle shooting deformed pellets.

ROB :)

THink Im very similar here.

When out in the "field" then its perfect pellets only. I keep them in a film container, foam at the bottom. and foam at the top to prevent any rattles.

On the range again, anything that is heavily deformed is binned. When Im zeroing, its perfect pellets only, same with comps.

Othe than that, if its got a slight "ding" in em then they will be ok.

There are OTHER thing to ake into account relating to accuracy in different guns.

Pellet skirt deformation is only one in sub 12FPE rifles as SOME cheapo thin skirts and a blast of air forces a perfect seal into the landz seems to sort em out.

But the Thicker skirts like H&N FTT are harder to reform so can cause probs if pellet skirt is damaged.

Also in rifles like the Stealth if you just put a pellet in the end of the barrel with your thumb then they are MORE likely to become flyers as each one is seated different. Use a seating tool and they tighten up. Seating tool puts the pellet IN the barrel by approx 4mm and it makes sure the pellet is in the same position every time.

As stated i would think higher power rifles would still manage to flare a damaged skirt into the landz but for sub 12FPE only the thin skirts :)

LG

In theory (speaking as a professional in the aviation industry) any damage should affect the aerodynamic stability of the pellet. Any damage would create more drag on the side of the damage and cause either an unstable spin (wobble) or in the worst case make the pellet swerve. Any movement would of course be proportional to the weight and speed of the pellet and may not show any appreciable loss of accuracy over the relatively short distances we shoot at.

That's theory........ in reality, well who knows :ernyha:

P03

I think the reference is to good quality pellets over poor quality pellets. Harder pellets such as the stainless steel promethius have a much greater penetration effect as they do not deform. But for hunting this wouldnt be my choice. The deformation you get from the pellet upon inpact the better as it delivers more of its energy to the surrounding tissues. Which isultimately what your after. Poor quality pellets will also deform when rattled about in storage. An ideal all round pellet is the Accupel, but you may find other pellets work better in your barrel. So get a Pelpax, they have a large assortment of differing pellets that you can try out.

i noticed it was dented after loading it but you cant get them out again so i had to take the shot. It was SO close it didnt really matter I went for the heart shot anyway just to make sure. After 'autopsy' i found the pellet and it has been dented so much and it went straight through 2 ribs and the centre of the heart. The rabbits are now safe in my freezer :lol:

Edited by beatingisbest

Hi,

But if it had the chance of going 'off' why is the chest shot safer? It could hit a non-vital part of the chest and it could do a runner despite being far away from it's bury. There was obviously some cover nearby so you could get within 10 yards of it so why couldn't it kick it's way into that? :lol:

FM :lol: