maxus stock

gemini52

bought a browning maxus hunter brand new from ab guns in mancester nice bit of kit.took it on clays shot like a dream put 24 gram steel thro it no problem 21 gram went thro fine,had a really good first shoot with it took it out last week should have stayed in and watched eastenders with the wife. a piece of broken clay decided to nearley blind me,luckily i always wear glasses not so lucky with the gun ended up with a nice dint in the stock its about 10 mil long and quite deep some people have said you can use an iron and a wet tea towel to steam the dint out any members tried this out any feedback would be sorly needed

What a shame mate, to damage an absolutely beautiful and great gun. You must be gutted :o :o :o

Could have been much worse though mate, if you weren't wearing them glasses, hope your OK.

P.S. I haven't got any feedback on the iron and wet tea towel. Newer tried it, but may be worth remembering it

Hi, I refinished a cz American stock that had a few marks in the varnish, it came up realy well, spot on. As I was about to put it back together I was stood up, stock on a blanket on the floor while putting the dovetail block back in the action, as I turned it over it fell out.......ding!! straight in the middle of the butt!!! ****** **** ******* **** gosh, that was unlucky!

It was realy deep and sharp but the iron and damp cloth did raise it all out, give it a try, all is not lost. Did have to refinish it again though.

atvb Paul.

The other trick I have seen, on a video clip on youtube perhaps? is to heat up a knife blade, something like a butter knife and use that instead of the iron. Obviously you still need to use a damp cloth. I think a knife was used because you can be more precise than an iron.

cheers,

What a shame mate, to damage an absolutely beautiful and great gun. You must be gutted :o :o :o

Could have been much worse though mate, if you weren't wearing them glasses, hope your OK.

P.S. I haven't got any feedback on the iron and wet tea towel. Newer tried it, but may be worth remembering it

cheers mate it could have been a lot worse had some good feedback on the hot iron so goin to give it a try

Hi, I refinished a cz American stock that had a few marks in the varnish, it came up realy well, spot on. As I was about to put it back together I was stood up, stock on a blanket on the floor while putting the dovetail block back in the action, as I turned it over it fell out.......ding!! straight in the middle of the butt!!! ****** **** ******* **** gosh, that was unlucky!

It was realy deep and sharp but the iron and damp cloth did raise it all out, give it a try, all is not lost. Did have to refinish it again though.

atvb Paul.

cheers mate had some feedback on the hot iron, its oiled so should be easy to refinih i hope

The other trick I have seen, on a video clip on youtube perhaps? is to heat up a knife blade, something like a butter knife and use that instead of the iron. Obviously you still need to use a damp cloth. I think a knife was used because you can be more precise than an iron.

cheers,

cheers mate its on the back so a knife would be better goin to give it a try

If it is just a dent - the damp cloth plus heat should work, provided no wood has been lost- ie gouged out by the clay. Good luck with it.

hi yes had some good feedback the stock has a oil finish so going to give it a try hopefully refinishing should not be to difficult cheers