deer cold store

Just a quick question to anybody who shoots deer. Were do you hang them when you have shot them as not everyone has access to a cold store. The local butcher has been hanging mine and also teaching me how to cut it into joints of meat and all he wanted was abit of venison (a bottle of malt went his way to)

Usually its cool enough in my utility to get em skinned and to the game dealers but then most fallow and roe are shot when the weather is cooler anyway. I have access to a chiller if needed after a cull though and may invest in some sort of mobile chilling chest to go into the back of a vehicle. Last month I was part of a Munty cull,we had quite afew first thing and by 10o'clock the woodants had found them even though they were hung in a tree( hotter in the vehicles) If its a brace of munties or a Roe I will skin them and have them located in friends freezer within 12hrs usually,its funny how you suddenly have loads of friends. :hmm:

Ps, if you mean hanging them once skinned, I don't know if the game dealer does but like my venison less gamey

Edited by Redgum

FridgeJPG.jpg

Similar to mine, off the bay as well. A caravell cooler, probably fit 3 or 4 roe . Out of interest, and sorry to go off topic a little. Anyone know where to get a replacement thermostat same as the one at the top in the pic. Mine wanders a bit. :rolleyes:

Redgum yes I ment hanging sorry for the confusion. So do you butcher yours asap. I was always taught to hang it for two weeks by my granddad

Similar to mine, off the bay as well. A caravell cooler, probably fit 3 or 4 roe . Out of interest, and sorry to go off topic a little. Anyone know where to get a replacement thermostat same as the one at the top in the pic. Mine wanders a bit. :rolleyes:

Some cracking chillers the other chaps have,brilliant idea. No cockercas, never hang me own deer, if its not eaten its frozen or sold. I'm the same with pheasants, my old chap tells tales of his father would hang pheasants till the heads fell off :oops: Not my cup of tea. I might hang a munty in the winter just out of interest.

Thermostat or digital display?

When I got mine the digital display didn't work - it just needed a new battery.

And before you go for thermostat, stick a catch on the door to improve the seal - I reckon you might have a lazy seal on the door.

Thermostat or digital display?

When I got mine the digital display didn't work - it just needed a new battery.

And before you go for thermostat, stick a catch on the door to improve the seal - I reckon you might have a lazy seal on the door.

Both , the temp seems to range from -1 to 10 deg but I'll have a look at that, Cheers :good:

carcasses have to be hung for a certain period to allow the meat to set properly, cutting up venison fresh is a bit of a sacriledge however you have to do it without a chiller. I tend to hang for the minimum which is about 48 hours fine in a shed over winter but summer is a definite no no. Last roe was in a friends chiller, due to the rush still with legs and head but fits nicely shot at 8am and in by 10.30 despite being 100 miles away :oops:

IMG00137-20110423-1929.jpg

I have left them for a week in a cols shed and also butchered them on the same day - to be honset I cna't tase the difference in the meat it is all fantastic.

Tenerdloins should be removed as soon as possible BTW.

It's personal choice, if you hand venison skinned it dries out too much for my liking, but each to their own.

Of course if you are enterprising enough you can just leave three of them in your boot on a hot Sunday morning, and still manage to flog them afterwards :thumbs:

I am just about to pick up a second hand drinks chiller for just this very purpose. When I get it I will put a strong bar at the top to support deer, and keep the shelves for other game.

So far I have done OK without, but doing more stalking now so I want to get it right. The first day is really not much to worry about anyway, as the carcass will be losing heat for most of that time. To be honest I am more concerned about keeping the flies off it in the warmer weather, but even then you would always be washing meat before cooking/eating.

The first day is really not much to worry about anyway, as the carcass will be losing heat for most of that time.

Good point, I shot a roe early doors in the colder weather, hung it in my shed and went out there about 3 hours later to have the tenderloins out, as I removed them the haunch behind was still very warm.

In winter i hang them in an out building in a large fly net (this later goes in washer) how long depends on how cold it is, you don't want them freezing hard and you don't want them warming up over about 5 degrees. Always like to leave them 24 hrs with skin off, it lets the meat set and far better to butcher. In summer i have been known to fetch them straight in skin them in the bath, rinse it down with the shower hose then butcher and bag the cuts straight in freezer. This is purely to aviod flies and acessive heat, i have had a carcass spoil once with fly blow mearly traveling down the motorway in my roof box ( the blighters must have got in the box during loading)

Been very lucky, about 2 Years ago we hired in a bloody great trailer chiller, the guy who delivered it asked at the shoot if anyone could store his fleet (about 10) - we did a deal that allowed us to use them whenever we liked and we stored them for free in a barn :good:

Here is mine... also from ebay for the picely sum of £30 and a favour off Stealth Stalker and his Sprinter van!

A local coffee shop was closing down, and I managed to nabb this bad boy.

Takes Roe and Muntjac with ease, along with Pheasants, Rabbits and other shot game.

post-2887-0-63956900-1306312155.jpg

I got outbid on 2 of the ******* yesterday, didn't want 2 but they started cheap and ended up not cheap :oops:

really for any game at this time of year they are essential unless you like processing stuff in a rush before work

Edited by al4x

I got outbid on 2 of the ******* yesterday, didn't want 2 but they started cheap and ended up not cheap :oops:

really for any game at this time of year they are essential unless you like processing stuff in a rush before work

That kept happening to me too, often getting way too close to £200! Seemed the only ones that went for lower prices were far away.

I got lucky the other day though, one had a starting figure of £100, so I bid and that is what it went for. I collect on Friday, hope it works out OK!