Meeting a Farmer Tonight

OddJob

I'm meeting up with a farmer tonight to see if I can get some pigeon shooting permission from him and to see if his land is or could be considered for 22lr/17hmr so that I could get my FAC.

Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom or tips for when I go and meet him? Things to say/things not to say?

Listen to what he wants from you and is looking for , ask him what he would like you to to do, he will only want you on his land if its in his favour.

Do a little homework to understand if you dont already what crops he seeds and vunerable stages of growth and where and when the most vunerable times are for pest damage if it arable land and pop some snippets into the coversation to show you know something of his work and proceedure.

Ask about any areas that have paths, dog walkers , funny neighbours, other shooters etc and if he has any preferences of times of day and days for shooting.

Above all show respect and that your not just a bum with a gun.

Good luck

Agree with all of the above post but the only thing that I would add is to let him know that you would be willing to offer the odd bit of help on the farm, fencing, electrical work, building - Whatever you are able to do - This sort of offer can often make such a difference to a working relationship between you and the farmer!

I am fortunate in the fact that I was brought up in a farming community and was able to use what little knowledge I have with a farmer the other evening - I went out for an evenings walk with the shotgun but when I got to the farm the farmer was having a few problems calving a cow - She was having twins and they both decided to try coming out together. I was able to assist and after 20 minutes both calves were delivered safely, which the farmer was very grateful for and both calves are now doing fine! Things like this can make all the difference!

i have found it best to find out what he wants from you.

its ok offering to help out around the place but the main reason he has agreed to speak to you is regarding pigeon control.

Get that confirmed first then you can ask about 22 and hmr later.

If you dont know each other very well hes not likely to be up for opening up his land for a first timer shooting hmr ect.

Once you have been over a few times and proved reliable he will probly be more inclined to let you shoot hmr or even CF for foxes if there are any.

Also find out who else shoots there couple of farms by me have loads of people shooting there i temd to leave well alone dont need the hassle.

By now you have probly met the guy by now so let us know how you got on

Regards

Spike

I'm meeting up with a farmer tonight to see if I can get some pigeon shooting permission from him and to see if his land is or could be considered for 22lr/17hmr so that I could get my FAC.

Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom or tips for when I go and meet him? Things to say/things not to say?

Good luck, if you need any help, or want to borrow deeks etc. give me a call.

The rest of the advice given is spot on.