Chocolate labradors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a chocolate lab that is currently being trained with these people.

I won't go into the reasons why I've got a chocolate one, but so far she is coming along "OK". She walks to heal, stays very well, retrieves extremely well (land and water) and after quite a slog we've just about managed to get her to stop on the whistle. She is from working stock and came from here (Sire was "Casper").

It has however, taken a long time and lot of hard work to get her to this standard and she still has a long way to go. I don't think she'd ever make a peg dog, but for walked up and rough shooting she'll be good enough. From what I am learning (and I am new to dog training), it does seem that chocolate labs **tend** to need a lot more work and learn slower, but there is no reason why she won't make a good dog.

I guess most people don't want to or have the time to put in (along with the usual preconceptions on their working ability or lack of).

Sorry but a colour gene alone cannot effect a dogs ability to work regardless were it origonated from. i have know two great chocs personally. also consider how many great work lines have had a little show blood mixed in at some time, maybee as an outcross, its also a good colour for blending in.

thats more than i've seen on shooting fields never seen one, but I do beat on ones with some very good picker uppers so that may explain it. I have to say if you had one it would need to be very good so you didn't just have the urine extracted all the time, keepers are bad enough with fat labs let alone fat and chocolate :lol:

Edited by al4x

Save yourself the hassle, I've never seen a good one in the shooting field.

I do know of several that are good at eating chips and sleeping in pubs though :yp:

On balance a point well made :good:

Labrador Retrievers are registered in three colours: black (a solid black colour), yellow (anything from light cream to "fox-red"), and chocolate (medium to dark brown). the chocolate labrador is not generally used as a working dog being fat and lazy a bit like a Scouser

I must admit I've never seen one work well in the shooting field, but thats not to say that they don't exist. I did read an article by a proffesional trainer a couple of years ago in which he wrote that a chocolate labrador with a yellow eye should be avoided, apparently they are nuts.

Given that chocolates would blend in better due to colour, why dont we see more of them working?

Chocolate Labs have a reputation for being particularily stoopid and slow off the mark. Most serious trainers of working gundogs wouldn’t waste their time on chocolates. Yes they can be trained (as can almost any dog) but to what standard.

John Halstead may well have trained chocolates as part of his business but I doubt and would be very surprised to learn that he’s ever owned one for the reason above.

The recessive gene that’s responsible for the chocolate colour is also responsible for the fact that they don’t have much between the ears! :yes:

i think this is one of them things thats a personal preference ..me personaly i have only ever had one choc in dozens of blacks but never owned a yellow and would never count out another chocolate as has been said most dogs can be trained but to what standard......funny thing is i have never fancied a fox red one either as it just doesn't look right in my eyes...realy think it's the breeding that's important and not the paperwork unless you are competing....someone on here had yellow labs for sale with no papers and if i was to be in the market for one i would have jumped at it,,

all personal preference

regards

john