Top weekend and nice bag.

sako751sg

Took Friday off so held out on Thursday evening with Rab and the rifle hoping to bag roe number 300.Got to the place at ten past seven with the temperature still hitting 22 degrees and without any wind to speak of.Left it a bit late and there was already a 6 pointer in the middle of the park grazing but on the horizon,so moved him on and went to a nice spot to sit where the roe come out of the wood to munch.Outstanding evening and the smell of the pine trees filled the air,and the only downside was the midges attacking.I had 40 winks with my head on Rab,but just about sunset i freshened up as after that can be the best time for the roe to appear.Sure enough,at 21.45 a head poked through the fenceline of the wood,and at 130 yards i could make it out to be a buck without the glasses.Didnt move for a minute because they always have a good check and sniff before venturing out,but he soon relaxed and started grazing.That gave me the chance to get behind the rifle and squeezed when the shot was right,and he dropped on the spot.A nice wee thick six pointer that scaled 18kg and number 300.Huge sour note was that the farmer from there died that night,and was a top lad and will be sorely missed.

Home and bedded for 1.00,and the alarm ringing at 3.00 after 2 hours kip didnt go down well.Had to get up for a **** anyway,so had a look outside and it was a cracking morning so got the gear on.It was still darkish and the first place i went to showed a bonny 6 pointer lying down about the 120 mark.No stalk required,as i had stopped on the farm track to glass,so just quietly got out of the Jeep,put a pill up the spoot and lay down.The plan was to rise him,but after various animal noises,squeaks and whistles he continued to chew the cud,so i alerted him with a whistle,and took the neck shot.He never moved from the spot and is a nice even head,although light.He scaled at 18.5kg.

Next stop was where i had messed up the shot when forgetting to take off the safety.There were 2 does in the same place as he was that morning,so i hoped he would be hidden in the long grass and started stalking into them.We had went about 50 yards when i looked behind me and noticed a roe walking along the fenceline at the new trees.A quick glass showed it was him,so i doubled back and set up on a nice high bank overlooking him at around the 150 mark.I readied the rifle,took a quick pic and then took the shot.Once again straight down and another 6 pointer weighing in at 18kg.After him i took a walk through the woods,but sacked it pretty sharpish as it was melting even at that time so headed home and sorted out the roe for the dealer and got an hours shut eye.

Mac had asked if we could go for a cast so with school out,we packed the rods and a munchy and headed for the Don.Got there for 5ish and once again the heat was shocking.Pretty poor fishing,and the expected evening rise didnt really materialise although a few wee broonies took the dry fly.Mac had a decent one on the worm and we kept two altogether,but the highlight was a pair of Ospreys hovering above us.

Had a sleep in on Saturday morning,and did very little until Mac asked if we could go out with the .17 in among the rabbits.The old dear from the farm had got her neighbour to phone last week as she had twice saw a fox walking through her lambs,so we took the big rifle along too for a lamp after the rabbits.It was very still and only managed 5,but just coming down dark Rab started sniffing the air and looking behind me.I should have got the .17 ready just in case but instead just kept looking over my left shoulder.On the 5th time of looking round,i froze as a fox trotted less than 30 yards behind us walking up a tramline.We were totally visible to it,and every movement i made lifting up the rifle resulted in the fox stopping and looking,and after the 4th stop and look,i had the gun mounted.By this time she a good 70 yards away so i aimed at the engine room and pulled.The connection sounded good and she ran with her tail vertical but dropped stone dead after 15 yards.A biggish vixen which had clearly been feeding young.

After dropping the fox at the wifies door,and the clock showing half midnight we headed to the neighbour who phoned,and had just started lamping when a set of green eyes stood out from the rest in a park of ewes and lambs.I had gave him a squeak hoping to keep him interested long enough for me to get the big rifle out,but instead he came absolutely flat out towards us into a park of barley.The Hmr was the quickest to hand,so i cycled one,cradled it in my lamping arm,and took a frontal shot after shouting at him to stop at 50ish yards.The thump was very satisfying and again the tail went vertical and i saw him turn and go off the tramline.I didnt tramp into the barley ,but will take Rab up the tramline later and see if he is there.Pretty sure he will be with the reaction to the shot.

Back hame for 2am,just in time for the boxing,and as soon as that had finished we headed out,i think about half three.Well light at this time,and soon spotted 2 bucks chasing at the same place where i messed the safety catch shot.Wind was spot on,but a very difficult stalk in full view with the last 30 having to be crawled.They were in heavy cover,so that helped the stalk as at times there was no way they could see me,but that meant i couldnt tell if i was being watched too.Finally got into position,but had to wait until i knew both bucks were clear for a shot.It must have took about 10 mins,but they did oblige and they were straight forward shots at no more than 60 yards.The first dropped on the spot,and the second one took the shot whilst rubbing a fence post,ran 10 yards and pegged it.Both 4 pointers weighing 17.5 and 16kg.Mature beasts with very poor headwear.I loaded them up ungralloched as i was wanting the puds to bait the foxes at the Mother in laws place.

When we arrived there,a buck and doe were grazing about 300 yards away in one of the horses fields,munching the buttercups,so we decided if we managed to get to the gate that would leave a shot of no more than 100 yards off the sticks.No chance of the bipod with the cover and flatish land,so made slow progress in their direction but they kept heading away as the horses were spooking them with their interested in us.

When we made the gate,i pinged with the range finder and the buck was 163,so i set the sticks and waited till all was spot on and squeezed.Once again straight down,and an 18kg beast once again with poor antlers.

After that we gralloched and baited,and the whole time a doe was feeding less than 100 yards from us.All in all a superb weekend.Mac took plenty pics so will put them up.Im sure ive probably cured a few insomniacs with this post but hey ho.

post-18885-0-24684500-1307264842.jpg post-18885-0-48303500-1307264834.jpg

post-18885-0-41120200-1307264824.jpg post-18885-0-32942700-1307264807.jpg

post-18885-0-49884500-1307264794.jpg post-18885-0-37794900-1307264788.jpg

A serious good weekend mate. Just out of interest, do all your Deer go to the Dealers? The reason I ask is I wonder how you stop the meat from spoiling at this time of year, i.e. do you have a cold room etc.

Cheers all.

A serious good weekend mate. Just out of interest, do all your Deer go to the Dealers? The reason I ask is I wonder how you stop the meat from spoiling at this time of year, i.e. do you have a cold room etc.

Cheers Ollie.

The vast majority go to the dealer fella,with the ones butchered going in the freezer and to any folks that i get shooting from.No cold room as such,but i have a dealer who usually comes out on the spot,or i can deliver.If there is a problem i will butcher and dish it oot.

Nice pics :good:

Whats the jacket you have on :hmm:

Its a Ridgeline Monsoon fella.Top bit of kit and the the only thing i can pick fault with is its not breathable enough.

is that not to many to get in a short space of time ??

Emm,im not sure about this one fella.I havent seen the recommended weekend allowance for roe so cant say aye or nay.If you can maybe provide this information and the source i will comment more. :good:

dave that sounds like the perfect week end buddy(not sure about the fishin tho ) :lol::lol: some nice lookin roe there .went out sat am weather down here was **** over cast and cold but i will post that later keep up the gid work buddy