Mad?

libs

Righto, so as of september time this year I will be living in a shared house with 3 other lads down in Bournemouth and we're thinking of getting a project vehical SORN'd on the drive to work on. General opinion points towards an old Landy, well.. because how can one get more British without mounting the Queen?

This is all just a pipedream at the moment and no money has been put down so this may just come to nothing. But it can't hurt to lust after a piece of history.

My question to you all is, what could we get for around £750 - 1000? And how well could 4 lads with a bit of common sense, a Haynes manual and every tool under the sun do at getting a rusty/dying motor back to workable condition? Body-work not an issue...

Cheers :blush:

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Get something with the tail end of a ticket and needing some work.

Problem is, if restoring any old 4x4 then you are actually talking "welding". Can you weld?

What about a Suzuki SJ? Old school but not very English.

Alternatively, spend the summer hatching a plan to steal George's refurbed landy off here and ring it / give it a new identity and not get caught :lol:

You'd get a scabby Series 3 Land Rover for that money. I picked one up for 500, needed a decent amount of chassis welding, a lot of gaskets replaced and most of the consumables. Did most of it myself and spent another 600 (including paint for a respray), but ended up with a half decent truck worth a couple of thousand (at least thats what it sold for).

...or, an early Discovery, likely to need a new boot floor, rear arches and sills repaired etc, but the diesels are good, spacious work horses.

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Thats the main problem, not wanting to spend thousands is a key issue.

Get something with the tail end of a ticket and needing some work.

Problem is, if restoring any old 4x4 then you are actually talking "welding". Can you weld?

I've got an Arc which I'm OKish with and my mates got a MIG system..He's also on a design course which may come in handy with 24/7 workshop access.

What about a Suzuki SJ? Old school but not very English.

Open to any options, but Land Rovers do strange things to my man veg so that would be ideal

Alternatively, spend the summer hatching a plan to steal George's refurbed landy off here and ring it / give it a new identity and not get caught :lol:

Damn, now when it goes I'm suspect #1

The problem with joint projects in the work, skills, money spent and overall reward will never split equally. It will end up in arguments and hurt friendships.

It would be better for you to buy a car, work on it yourself and let others help if you want. There won't be arguments about who hasn't done what, and who gets the car at the end of the day.

Also, I'm guessing you'll be at Uni. Are you really sure you'll have the money for - well - anything?

Interesting responses thanks chaps. I do understand that with money and time involved it could get a bit difficult to split things equally 4 ways and avoid arguments..

I'm starting to think a whole vehical may be a tad much and we could maybe start with something smaller, and old motor bike or even just an engine to tinker with.

Whatever happens I'll keep you updated if its in anyway interesting.

:good:

If you can tear enough time away from studies (Beer, Girls, and other assorted things) I could work We made a Beer can Pyramid, Christmas tree, networked the whole house (way before Wi-Fi) then did other peoples! and did a few other bits (ended up with a degree eventually) :blush:

I would go for a series Rag top by the time summer comes you will have a pile of junk or a great motor something like http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2901803.htm I would go for tax exempt one if you can http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/land-rover-tax-exempt-project-/300566877706?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item45fb2e960a#ht_1459wt_983 be prepared to compete with many others but if you can do it!

Edited by HDAV

Hands off libs!

You can frequently get 2a's and 3's for around that price and not have to do a great deal to em. I chose nearly purely on the fact I didn't have to weld anything as I'd never done it before, though I don't think it is as hard as it sounds. And also transmission was good and engine ran ok.

Many people want to get rid of not too bad ones because they've bought so many land rovers that they've ran out of space and their other halves are nagging, and these go quite cheap! Also, people's hobby cars which have failed MOT on something fairly minor and they can't be bothered to fix it and left them, then got bored and sell em. Also Get bargains like that.

If you've got the time and the tools then there's not much stopping you, as parts are cheap still (I'd wager a fair bit cheaper than disco parts actually), and all easy to fit/fix.

There's such a variety of conditions of vehicles etc that you just have to take a bit of a gamble. Also depends on how far you want to go. Just try and get one where at least something doesn't need doing to it (like electrics, or brakes, or steering etc) or it will go on and on and you'll rack up the costs.