Steyr 308

kevmag

Mate had a 202 Elegance for a short while.Lovely piece of kit but he was frightened drilling the fore-end(which is very,very thin)to attach a sling swivel for some legs would diminish its resale value(I think in the guns country of origin its usually used from shooting sticks)so he traded it in for a Sako.I wasn't keen on these rifles,until I actually picked one up that is!Simply reeks of quality. :good:

Mate had a 202 Elegance for a short while.Lovely piece of kit but he was frightened drilling the fore-end(which is very,very thin)to attach a sling swivel for some legs would diminish its resale value(I think in the guns country of origin its usually used from shooting sticks)so he traded it in for a Sako.I wasn't keen on these rifles,until I actually picked one up that is!Simply reeks of quality. :good:

Steyr. Not Sauer.

Incidentally, I have one of each :lol:

I've got a styre pro hunter in 270 and I love it. I've had it in some extreme weather in Scotland and its never let me down. The trigger is very smooth and precise and even better when you set it.

the three stage safety is a great asset. I personally think its one of the best rifles you can buy but im sure others will disagree. When it comes to it I will definitely buy another one. Two of my friends have them in 243 and they seem to shoot well with the and have never had any problems either. A definite thumbs up from me :good:

I have the pro hunter mk2 mountain I'm 6.5x55 and it's bloody fantastic, I agree with everything crouch valley has said, it reeks quality And the safety system us superb as us the trigger system.

I'm looking at replacing my Titan .223 with pro hunter as well.

The scout is Also a nice rifle, different beast though, I've shot mungler's .308, and also NSS's .243

Just to open the proverbial can O worms....

I've know of 2 that were/are complete pups :S

A good friend has one which is a PM MK2 in .260Rem - no matter what homeloads he throws at it, it still spits groups no smaller than an inch / inch half at best - And like me, I know he's not happy with it!

The other was on the next bench to myself an Pin at Bisley a couple of years back. Again was shooting some dog awful groups! The owner was simply at Bisley to gain enough evidence on paper for Steyr to take it back.

Couple that with having to deal with the sportsman gun centre on anything, and he was no doubt in for a tough ride.

For me, I'd seen enough to not buy one the last time I was in the market and ended up with the popular Tikka T3 offering.

I'm sure there are great Steyr's out there, and will probably appear on this thread - but I'll probably never own one.

I'm sure there are great Steyr's out there, and will probably appear on this thread - but I'll probably never own one.

It's a man's gun Gary, alas, you can only look.

Back on topic, I have had a .223 Scout Tactical Elite >>here<< which was a very good (but heavy) gun. Amazingly accurate out of the box and with factory ammo - it would clover leaf Winchester silvertips at 100 yards. And yes, I should have never sold it.

And I currently have a Tactical Elite in .308 which is frankly awesome.

I only photograph my rifles as part of the process of selling them, so no photos of that to hand.... although you can just make it out in this photo >>here<<. Yep, any excuse I know. It's the rifle being held by the handsome chap in the photo and obscured by the large boar :lol:

That Picture crops up all over the place.

I swear the picture of the 2 big pigs was shown in the last WI magazine we get through our letter box,

In the lonely hearts section advertising for "Mature Women Home Help needed by hairy males" :lol:

I should of left my camara back at the lodge :yes:

That Picture crops up all over the place.

I swear the picture of the 2 big pigs was shown in the last WI magazine we get through our letter box,

In the lonely hearts section advertising for "Mature Women Home Help needed by hairy males" :lol:

I should of left my camara back at the lodge :yes:

Mate, that photo was so good and for so many reasons :good:

I would put that photo in front of the photos of my wedding and the kids' christenings :lol: