6 for the price of 1.

Lancs Lad

Went out yesterday over in the fields waiting for some bunnies.

Out popped 3............but they were not hanging around to be shot.....So, then out came another one..

Pop. Back of the head shot. Down it went.

Took it home, covered in fleas though..........started gutting it, thought it looked a bit funny....

Then realised it was a mummy...........or a mummy to be......................

Still, 6 for the price of 1..............

Never done a mummy wabbit before........quite interesting......

The babies look like aliens.....

Ive - I'm with you to a certain extent there if they're thin on the ground.

However if the bird flu gets a grip there wont be much shooting for quite some time methinks for many of us :lol:

i dont see why it should affect rabbit shooting much! only when and if youre ground is within a catchment area maybees

>>However if the bird flu gets a grip

>only when and if youre ground is within a catchment area

If birdflu gets a grip then just about everywhere in the country will be within 10km of an outbreak and under their current rules the countryside will be out of bounds! So I would say it will have a reasonably large effect on shooting!

However, I dont think that shooting rabbits at this time of year is any different to shooting pigeons or other pests at this time of year.

The weather is so mild now adays that down here the rabbits have been breeding pretty much all winter anyway!

If birdflu gets a grip then just about everywhere in the country will be within 10km of an outbreak and under their current rules the countryside will be out of bounds!
Im hoping that i wont take hold, but if it does i think well be in for another foot and mouth type of countryside closure, no shooting and disinfectant everywhere.

I am yet to get a pregnant bunny, in fact im yet to see a bunny on my patch this year. :lol:

Funny you should say about this.............

I got a rabbit this morning, left it on the tree to pick up later and went for a wander. Saw two baby rabbits but as they were in a part of the shoot where they weren't doing much harm I left them to it and thought how restrained I was :lol:

Upon geting back to the first rabbit and gutting it I found it was carrying. Had I known I would have left it but as I didn't I am not going to lose sleep about it. If you can't handle it don't hunt.

yer its quite common at this time of year, i shot a couple the other day. u can tell they are milkydoe's straight off by holding them up by their back legs they have big bellies and you can see their teats, normally a sure sign.

I hear some people still eat them, just abit more fatty than normal rabbits.

There's such little difference between a large rabbit and a pregnant one that it is very hard to tell unless the rabbit is late in the gestation period. So my shot wasn't planned to kill 7 rabbits but i didnt know she had them. No sleep lost, no lack of bunnis although i would've left it if i had an untrasound scanner handy :lol:

Not a glamoriastion snakey.............Never done a mummy wabbit before....

Noticed that the rabbit was different when I picked it up.........felt the teats........but not in that way you bunch of sickos.....

When I made the first cut, I noticed that she was carrying a lot of fat...........which was HIGHLY unusual as everythign else I have gutted has been very lean.

Draw out the guts and noticed the difference, little cadbury cream egg sized pouches at the back end.

Was intrigued. Realised that it must have been a mummy.....made an incision into the sack and a jelly like substance came out with the embryo contained, was about the size of the tip of my little finger.

I eat everything that I shoot, or it goes to people that do,,,,,,pigeons and wabbit wise that is.

Like other members on here Im more than happy to get the hands in and dress my field meat.

Very interested in the comments about the Bird Flu situation...................how do we stand with this at the moment.........Anyone know about swabbing your kills like wildfowlers do.........

Each to their own but unless there is a real problem I like to let things breed this time of year :rolleyes:

Understand where your coming from Ive, but it depends whether you're shooting for sport or vermin control. If it's sport then let them breed to sustain your sport. If it's vermin control....... then you've just saved 6 pellets :thumbs: .

P03