Anyone here shoot a 7-08?

njc110381

Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you hunt with a 7-08? I've been getting well and truely fed up with myself over buying this .243 in place of my 6.5 and I don't like it and, well, there's this 7-08 and..... :oops::whistling::rolleyes:

So, does anyone here use one? If so how do you get on with it? I don't want to go back to 6.5x55, I've had one of those, and this 7-08 looks good. I've not put my money where my mouth is yet but it's not going to be long before I do. Ideally I could do with some field experience based comments to reinforce the idea.

If I make another .243 type mistake I'm going to be.... well lets just say "annoyed"!

I'd be very grateful for your input. :good:

The .243 will be easier to shoot off hand, it will do the job when you try those heavier bullets. The 7-08 rem is superiour on Large deer ie Reds and normally handles a 140 grn bullet the best. The energy it gives with a 140 grn bullet exceeds that of the 308 with a 150 grn bullet at 200yds due to the better BC. It will be harder to shoot off hand and chest shooting roe it will often suck the guts through the diaphram into the lungs- never seen a .243 do that yet. As a big deer gun awesome is that what you need though :good:

I am in the process of selling mine presently as i just don't do the amount of large deer i once did, the .243 is superiour in all other regards though - give it time and try those noslers and prohunters :good:

personally Neil i think your a gun tart :yes:

I'll take that one on the chin I think. Well what can I say? :lol:

It will be harder to shoot off hand and chest shooting roe it will often suck the guts through the diaphram into the lungs:good:

Suck the guts into the lungs? Not seen that before? What causes that issue? Pressure? I've never seen my 7x57R do that but then they are loaded milder. More info on that would be good but I'm pretty sure the .243 will go anyway simply because I've lost faith in it. :/

If you want to know more give me a shout.

May well do, cheers!

Edit... Oh and good luck John. I hope you get what you're after :good:

Edited by njc110381

Neil, I put the forms in last week, asking for target/zero/fox/deer/wild boar. I got an email today asking for written info about the wild boar. As that would only be an expensive treat now and then I wrote back to say drop it, I'll use estate rifles if I ever go.

I shot a 7mm-08 at Bisley, only one group at 100 yards, and it felt good! I like shooting right out to 1000 yards, and the club's .308 beats me up too much, so the 7mm-08 seemed a good choice as I want it both for hunting and targets. If all I wanted was a target gun I would probably have gone for one of the 6.5 cals.

Edited by john_r

It makes a mess of what I shoot. As it's been pointed out that's down to my bullet choice but I don't know - I just don't like it as much as the other rifles I've had. As soon as I used it I felt a bit let down and I've grown a disliking for it every time I've used it since.

It's no fault of the gun. It shoots great, I had it cut down a bit to make it a good Foxing rig and it still shoots great. It's a CZ550 which I like the feel of, has a nice trigger etc. I really can't put my finger on it but I just don't like it and that's that really. I'm very impulsive, if I don't like something and I set myself against it there ain't much can be done to change my mind!

I've never disliked a rifle like I dislike this one. Usually I get bored and change them but this time I've not liked it from the off? :look:

Suck the guts into the lungs? Not seen that before? What causes that issue? Pressure? I've never seen my 7x57R do that but then they are loaded milder. More info on that would be good but I'm pretty sure the .243 will go anyway simply because I've lost faith in it.

shame you can't bring yourself to put proper deer bullets in the .243 and just get on with it, i once hated mine till i found out the score. I doubt i will ever be without one now though.

The guts being sucked into /through the diaphram is fairly common with bigger cals on Roe if the bullet is placed further back or the beast is stood at an angle. I think its the hydrostatic shock wave that does it.

Seriously on Roe using the correct bullets i doubt there is a better calibre than the .243, i have used the 7-08 many times on them also but it just isn't as good a tool. Yes it will do them and generally they are acceptable but it is not as good as the .243 at the job and thats just a fact. If we were talking Reds then the boot is on the other foot :good:

your judging the .243 incorrectly here, forget the bullets you have used and try as suggested being very much an all round rifle you have to remember that bullet constuction and selection makes a massive difference. yes i realise that you might not see a few gains extra weight as much but it is not the weight its the intended purpose and criteria of design - do not compare to 95-100 grn hunting bullets in 6mm with the similar weights from 6.5 mm say because you would be very wrong, its not all about weight but the purposes they were built for :yes:

a lot comes down to what you want a rifle for obviously you don't want one rifle for everything as you do chop and change a lot. Mine is mostly a fox gun I use on deer, haven't shot that many deer with it yet but so far they haven't been messy but haven't gone anywhere. Thats with 85grn soft points and 100grn so basically deer bullets. I wouldn't entertain anything lighter and indeed though I like the idea of using much lighter vmax's on foxes so far the soft points shoot so well I haven't used anything else.

do not compare to 95-100 grn hunting bullets in 6mm with the similar weights from 6.5 mm say because you would be very wrong, its not all about weight but the purposes they were built for :yes:

I know what you mean. I had some 95gr bullets that I used in my 6.5 and they were crazy things, there was no way I'd shoot a Deer with them because I'd have lost the whole front end I recon!

I think I just need to move on. It may well be that the .243 could be made much better with the right ammo but I'm past that point now. It's just time for something new in my mind.

Rather than supporting the .243 (which I appreciate as you're only trying to reassure me that my rifle isn't all that bad) what did you make of the 7-08 when you had it? Reading about it on the 'net brings in some good reviews. It's just something I'd like to try as I can use the bullets in my combi gun too, so I will reduce the number of bullets that I need to hold in stock as long as I can find one that they both like.

there was an element of seriousness with it from an outsiders view your gun rational is indeed comedy central. You can justify a new different gun to yourself so easily yet bung up a post for views on a new one. Simply you are already getting it in your mind so no point anyone mentioning anything :oops:

You've just bought a .223 got a hornet now going for something bigger on some spurious reasoning, with the funny thing being you're getting rid of the best fox caliber that if you see a decent roe etc it is legal for. .223 and hornet aren't now if you take the new one after deer and all you see are foxes it will no doubt do the job but not in quite the same laser like fashion. Its more about gun collecting than purpose to me but what do I know other than I go out for a walk for foxy I can deal with anything with one gun :yes:

Enjoy your gun collecting and building up the collection :good:

Just out of interest to you guys who shoot 243, I have found the meat damage to be far greater than using a larger calibre,ie .30 for example.

I can only assume its down to the bullet traveling slower. And as your shooting for the pot surely its got to be more profitable,less waste having less damage due to large ammount of bruising and blood clotts.

:unsure:

dougy

depends entirely on bullets, use a heavy one they will be travelling a reasonable amount slower plus there isn't that much edible on the rib cage if you avoid the shoulders. Certainly I've not had much problem of loosing much on the ones I've shot so far thats with 85grn soft points and 100grn soft points. Its a catch 22 people seem to say its lacking knock down power yet on the other side it does too much damage :huh:

Soft points with me have always exited and exit holes haven't been larger than 2" square yet swap for a lighter bullet and you have one that knocks foxes sideways

ah I'm a bit slow this morning so the larger caliber runs a similar velocity with a bigger bullet delivering 800ftlbs more energy and it does less damage, I guess this is assuming both are using deer bullets not varmint ones which could be the issue :oops:

Or perhaps its just weight of bullet go much lighter with the .243 and you have to drive them a lot faster to get the required energy which may be where the rumours come from and probably the issue in this case