Black Rabbit

Hi guys was doing some rabbit control last night and i shot a black rabbit, its wild and only the 2nd ive ever seen, well chuffed. I was wondering what to do with it was considering having a go at taxidermy or poss using the skin for something was hoping for some good suggestions. The problem i have is i wouldnt know where to start with taxidermy and dont know how to remove all the skin in one go. Thanks :good: looking forward to any good suggestions.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/169881-taxidermy-first-attempt/page__p__1439670#entry1439670

This was my first attempt - it looks a lot better now than when i posted these pictures.

doing the whole body in one go might be a bit difficult if youve never done it before. try just the head like i did and keep the pelt seperate.

If you dont think you can do it, just pop it in the freezer until youve practised on normal rabbits first :good:

Hi guys was doing some rabbit control last night and i shot a black rabbit, its wild and only the 2nd ive ever seen, well chuffed. I was wondering what to do with it was considering having a go at taxidermy or poss using the skin for something was hoping for some good suggestions. The problem i have is i wouldnt know where to start with taxidermy and dont know how to remove all the skin in one go. Thanks :good: looking forward to any good suggestions.

:hmm: Eat it they all look the same without the coat :blink:

Edited by magman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All the current colours of pet/show rabbits are derived from the wild rabbit. Wild colour (Agouti) Black,Blue,White, Black/White (Dutch pattern), Grey/White (Dutch pattern) Orange/White (Dutch pattern), Black/Tan, Orange, Fawn (Tan pattern) etc.... can all be seen in the wild. Most people think that these are pet rabbits, Indeed, some of these will be escapees but most will not, especially those in rural areas. Black rabbits are very common and it is said that it will brink bad to the person that shoots one.

I have never seen a black rabbit at my place until this year when i spotted a very young one in with the ponies, that was about 5 months ago and its still there. I have shot lots of normal ones in that field but i have decided to leave that one to see what happens and see if the black rabbit population increases. Then i will shoot them.

There have been black rabbits on my farm for the last 40 or so years that I can remember. Not loads of them, just see one now and then.

Also quite a few with big white patches on them. I've shot a few of the ones with white patches (and I mean loads bigger patches than normal) but don't remember ever shooting a black one.

Maybe I couldn't see them while lamping. :yp:

Edited by 39TDS