new kill for a new scope

steve3562

Have a little more respect for your quarry please :rolleyes:

Pigeons (especially feral) can become used to people around, and theres no need to start calling them dumb *** etc.. its how they are :thumbs:

Good shot, and im glad you aimed at the correct kill zone.

Count your blessings because the next shot may be a 35 yarder through branches and twigs and suchlike.

I had a shot like this on Sunday evening, I spotted 2 crows land in a tree up ahead, with thick cover of twigs and branches between me and them, about 30 yards away. I knew I couldn't get my looped .22 pellet through to them from the place I was standing as too many branches were in the way so I moved slightly until I found what appeared to be a perfect "pellet tunnel" between all the trees.

I could sight one of the crows heads and had approx 6 inches of branchless headroom which I calculated would allow my pellet a perfect, unhindered passing. It was a shot to nothing, either a head shot or a complete miss, so I pulled the trigger.

My calculations turned out to be right, too, as down flopped a cleanly head shot crow, immediately putting a big grin on my face :rolleyes: The other crow flew off at the same instant his mate was downed so I didn't get chance to take him out too.

Doesn't have feel good when a plan comes together, huh? :thumbs:

no problem i strongly beleive that you should respect what you shoot and how you shoot it....

if you dont respect what you hunt you shouldnt even bother to get a gun

I think that we need a bit of balance here chaps.

Show me a shooter that 'Respects' a rat that he has shot, and I have never met one yet.

Show me a farmer that 'Respects' a flock of pigeon that is decimating his crops, and I have yet to find such a farmer. I am pretty sure that if we shooters were not there to shoot pigeon, then he would resort to less respectable ways to control pigeon.

What I am trying to say is that whilst I am very much against shooters flinging their dead pigeons in a heap with no respect, pigeons are rightfully classified as vermin. Whilst it is every shooters intention to kill their quarry stoney dead, sometimes this does not happen in spite of hours and hours of practise. You cannot guarantee it.

Whilst most pigeons have very conditioned reflexes not to get shot, there are dumb ones about that just ask for it - a bit like the odd dumb shotgun shooter that leaves empty cartridges scattered about the countryside. If a dumb pigeon comes along, then count your blessings and shoot if before another shooter gets the chance. Survival of the fittest and all that.

A bit more tolerance please - we all have our opinions, and as long as someone does not step too far out of bounds, then respect his statement - if not then a gentle reminder gets a far better reaction and consideration for your point of view.

Don

no problem i strongly beleive that you should respect what you shoot and how you shoot it....

if you dont respect what you hunt you shouldnt even bother to get a gun

im all for a frank and open exchange of views ,as you will know if youve ever read any of my posts. can i just say thought, that like texting, this internet chat stuff is very open to the wrong interpretation, and its very easy to condemn someone for a post, that if it was in the spoken word, would have a very different

slant on it. so please, especially young shots, with the greatest respect , you are our shooting future after all , dont be too quick to condemn and be humble when reqd. :rolleyes:

Theres nothing wrong, as said above, with feeling good and smiling to an honest good shot, you have made the right calculations, and your quarry dropped cleanly. I also feel good when the shot went well.. but that different to laughing at a dead animal for it being dumb etc :lol: some good posts!

Out of interest, what gun/pellets are you using Steve?

boys i think you have miss-understood me here i wasnt litally laughting at the pigeon just ahd a grin on my face! for yoiu question the scope is 3x9-40 mildot, and for you hunter i am using a bsa supersport carbine with the scope above and webley lazadomes= bloody good pellets. i have been out tofay if you want to hear about that add a reply!

thanks steve :lol: