bipod????

foxnet22

hi lads had a drive to one of the farms i shoot at today and decided to take the 17hmr and get some practise in.put up a few paper targets firstly at 35 yrds then 100 yrds then had a few shots at 120 yrds.i noticed that my grouping wasnt looking to good so after every ten shots ran the boresnake through just incase there was dirt clogging the barrel after which the shots seem to be higher.changed ammo frm hordany 17grn to winchester 17grn and these were worse.couldnt seem to get close grouping around the inch bull area.anyhow got home and cleaned the gun as always and as i was looking and thinking if there was a problem i noticed the barrel looked tight on the synthetic stock.tried running a old lotto ticket between stock and barrel and it wasnt going anywhere.removed bipod and hey presto lotto ticket ran up and down no problem.am i correct in thinking the bipod was limiting the floating barrel and effecting shots.anyone else had the same effects using bipod on there cz rimmy,s

Believe this is quite a common issue with the synthetic stock cz's. :good:

But why should it happen ?

If the stud is in the stock and the bipod screws/clamps onto/through the stud ?

I could understand IF the stud was a part of the barrel and screwing the bipod onto the stud pulled the stock up to meet the barrel.

But why should it happen ?

If the stud is in the stock and the bipod screws/clamps onto/through the stud ?

I could understand IF the stud was a part of the barrel and screwing the bipod onto the stud pulled the stock up to meet the barrel.

Because the CZ synthetic stock is flexible the weight of the barrel and mod is enough to flex the stock so it touches the barrel.

You will need to sand the barrel channel out so that at least the thickness of one business card slides in.

I had to do the same to mine, it is worth persevering as mine shot extremely well once sorted, I also fitted a second stud further back on mine as it causes less stock flex.

Neil. :)

I was always under the impression that a floated synthetic stock was pointless, as it doesn't expand with the heat/cold like wood does...

the problem is when the barrel vibrates during bullet travel up the barrel (harmonincs)when it touches the stock it effects the natural movement of the barrel inconsistantly, therfore altering the POI with each shot,

Well something like that :yes:

by removing material from the stock you remove the problem, for a quick fix without removing any stock with sand paper use some thin material (plastic 35m film canister) to raise the stock slightly at the front point and see if it makes any difference :good:

I saw exactly the same problem last week with a centre fire rifle that has a sinthetic stock! I was out with Richie (Archie1234) on one of my permissions trying to help him zero one of his rifles. We could not get anywhere near an acceptable group and couldn't work it out as his rifle is normally extremely accurate. After somewhere like 15 rounds through it we tried to work out what it might be and the only thing different that he had done to the rifle was fitted a bipod 0 Richie does not normally use a bipod! We took the bipod off and it was back on song straight away giving near enough clover leaf groups straight away.

I suspect that this is the same problem with your rifle "Foxnet22"! What is most likely happening is thatwhen you put the bipod on the weight of the rifle is causing the forend to flex a little and touch the barrel. If you wish to keep the bipod fitted you need to sand out the forend and rechech it to make sure that the barrel is fully floating while the rifle has it's weight on the bipod. Once you have done this you will quite likely find that the grouping is greatly improved. It seems to be a fairly common problem with some firles fitted synthetic stocks.

Just one more thing - If it were me I wouldn't bother running a bore snake through or cleaning the barrel too often on a 17HMR - When you do that it can sometimes take a few rounds to bring the barrel back to it's normal accuracy. I only clean my 17HMR barrel if it starts losing accuracy or after about every 250 shots of so!

I hope this helps you! :good:

thanks lads i am now considering not using the bipod anymore.was only using it to steady the rifle whilst practising with the rifle at getting my groups.dont really want to start sanding down etc.so have been busy making some sticks to steady my shots.the mrs been to the shops yesterday and bought herself two extenable washing poles but whilst she,s at work today have been turned into a set of sticks by means of being cut down a bolt added in the middle some cycle innertube around the top and they work spot on with adjustable legs also.best get out shooting before she comes in haha.