CZ527 Varmint Laminate

I bought a CZ527 Varmint with a laminate stock there a few weeks ago. This week I got it pillar bedded and had the barrel floated properly as there had been a hatchet job done on it by the previous owner and the barrel was touching the stock.

I'm using a 3.5-10 X 40mm Simmons White tail Classic scope, a Harris HB25Cs Bipod and an ASE JetZ Moderator, I'm also using Hornady 55grain v-max bullets. I was zeroing at 100m. The barrel has a 1:9 twist.

The first group, I was all over the shop just didn't have a good shooting position. I was also shooting off my Harris bipod which is the HB25CS with the 13to27inch extendible legs. Anyway this was the result

020720111044.jpg

I then shot a second group without any adjustment.

020720111045.jpg

This is the third group I shot, I had adjusted the scope and dug the legs of the bipod into the ground.

020720111046.jpg

This is the second last group I shot I was aiming for the red square and was using the set trigger, which I had been using for all the previous groups. I also dug the bipod legs further into the ground and adjusted the sights. The group was an inch high and was nearly 2 inches wide again!

020720111042.jpg

I adjusted the sights and used the bottom left hand corner square as my aiming point. I also didn't set the single set trigger as I had with the earlier groups, I think this helped.

020720111041-1.jpg

Anyway that's the story so far not as good as I would expect but then again I'm in no way blaming the rifle as I need to get a good bit of practice in myself yet. Also I think I should try some different types of ammo like the 55 grain Sako and Fiocchi which I heard were pretty good.

Anyway not to worry, I'll keep persevering a 1 inch group is good enough for me at the moment, the foxes certainly won't be able to tell the difference. I'll have to shop around to get a few different boxes of ammo to try out.

Anyone got any other advice that would help, here's a few foxes which I nailed a few weeks ago.

120620111010.jpg

060620111001.jpg

Edited by deeksofdoom

The Rifle may well take time to settle in, it may just need a little tweak, you also need to find ammo it likes.

The bipod you have is too tall for prone shooting for me, (hence why you dug the feet in I guess) you obviously need to be comfortable when shooting, this too could effect things, also the general conditions of course.

I am long since caring about hole on hole groups, I've been through all that malarkey years ago, my shooting is field based these days and all be it I want accuracy, I have never known any quarry argue with 1" groups!

:good:

Are you going to start rolling your own? Because that's when it becomes more interesting... perfecting your own recipes & getting touching groups.

I'm in Ireland and its illegal here at the moment to reload your own ammunition. Plus the fact that it just wouldn't pay me to buy all the equipment go making home loads for the amount of shooting I do.

I'm in Ireland and its illegal here at the moment to reload your own ammunition. Plus the fact that it just wouldn't pay me to buy all the equipment go making home loads for the amount of shooting I do.

That's a shame, can you get slightly heavier factory loads?

otherwise fully run it in & get used to using it & I'm sure the grouping pattern will improve.

That's a shame, can you get slightly heavier factory loads?

otherwise fully run it in & get used to using it & I'm sure the grouping pattern will improve.

Thanks Marcy its second hand, so I guess the barrel is already well run in. I'll just have to practice.

Thanks Marcy its second hand, so I guess the barrel is already well run in. I'll just have to practice.

Has the varmint got a set trigger like the american? A very light trigger does mean tighter groups for me.

I have a CZ527 American 1 in 12" & at 100yds it shoots a 3" group with 55gn factory ammo & 4" group with 62gn factory

but the best recipe I've found for home loads includes a 40gn nosler head & that gets me sub 1" to date.... but I still havn't finished testing my loads, I've also got to get the barrel threaded for a moderator that I've acquired so I should get better grouping when it's fitted.

Has the varmint got a set trigger like the american? A very light trigger does mean tighter groups for me.

I have a CZ527 American 1 in 12" & at 100yds it shoots a 3" group with 55gn factory ammo & 4" group with 62gn factory

but the best recipe I've found for home loads includes a 40gn nosler head & that gets me sub 1" to date.... but I still havn't finished testing my loads, I've also got to get the barrel threaded for a moderator that I've acquired so I should get better grouping when it's fitted.

Jesus, 3" and 4" groups sound bad, my rifle is a 1:9 twist. If you read the original post again, when I stopped using the single set trigger the groups got better.

Jesus, 3" and 4" groups sound bad, my rifle is a 1:9 twist. If you read the original post again, when I stopped using the single set trigger the groups got better.

You're right it is bad, I was hoping to get hole in hole groups at that distance! things are improving... a bit more adjustment with the grains of powder & I should be there or there abouts.

As for not reading the posts between the photo's properly...sorry it was a school boy error!

You're right it is bad, I was hoping to get hole in hole groups at that distance! things are improving... a bit more adjustment with the grains of powder & I should be there or there abouts.

As for not reading the posts between the photo's properly...sorry it was a school boy error!

Well best of luck with those home loads don't blow the head off yerself in the process, I was hoping to be making little shamrocks myself.

Yeah, remove the moddy and try without it. I notice its a muzzle mounted type any slight misalignment will trash groups like this. Also check the bolt handle is fully clear of the stock when closed, commonly missed post bedding. Is something amiss with the bedding job perhaps. Next look at giving the barrel a real mega clean finishing with meths get all the copper and crud out including the bolt lug areas. Then examine the crown carefully under magnification, look for uneveness or cracks. Only then would i realy get into looking heavilly at the loads indeed i test new to me or new guns with quality factory ammo initially.

If i was a betting man i bet its damage to the crown or mis alignment of the can and you don't even mention that bit, if you can shoot its nothing to do with the bipod legs in a .22 c/fire you could free recoil that rig and it should do well shot like that on flat level ground

Yeah, remove the moddy and try without it. I notice its a muzzle mounted type any slight misalignment will trash groups like this. Also check the bolt handle is fully clear of the stock when closed, commonly missed post bedding. Is something amiss with the bedding job perhaps. Next look at giving the barrel a real mega clean finishing with meths get all the copper and crud out including the bolt lug areas. Then examine the crown carefully under magnification, look for uneveness or cracks. Only then would i realy get into looking heavilly at the loads indeed i test new to me or new guns with quality factory ammo initially.

If i was a betting man i bet its damage to the crown or mis alignment of the can and you don't even mention that bit, if you can shoot its nothing to do with the bipod legs in a .22 c/fire you could free recoil that rig and it should do well shot like that on flat level ground

Funny you should mention it but, the moderator did seem a little loose when I was taking it off when I got home, I put it down to it being made loose on the way home in the car. Also there is some pitting at the crown but it was shooting alright before this.

Funny you should mention it but, the moderator did seem a little loose when I was taking it off when I got home, I put it down to it being made loose on the way home in the car. Also there is some pitting at the crown but it was shooting alright before this.

Pitting in the crown? if you can see it it could do with sorting, might not sound like much but the crown is critical many new off the shelf guns can be improved by a better crowning job- pitted i should sort. Prove the moddy fire some groups without it and with, if it was just loose this one time then take more care but why was is slack? it could be a bad threading job perhaps?

I'd bet there is nothing much wrong Deeks, If you are shooting those groups off that monster of a bipod you are doing well. Take the bipod off use some bags etc to get a solid mount back the scope off to 8x or so and have another go.

I think I got to the bottom of what was wrong with my groups the other day, the moderator wasn't tight on the rifle.

Anyway I went out for a shot with it again today and I gave the mod a good squeeze to see that it was on right. I came accross a magpie who was approx 100m away from me on the other side of a glen.

I put the bipod legs down and sat behind the rifle, aimed at the mags chest, squeezed the trigger and flattened the ****er outright, nothing wrong with that!

070720111053.jpg

Absolutely chuffed to bits......and so is the magpie.... in bits that is!

Dont know if this has been mentioned but check the barrel isn't touching the stock when it is rested on the floor on the bipod if you get what I mean. The weight of the rifle can push the barrel onto the stock causing poor groups