first day decoying

ferret boy

well, got my permission, kit and a semi for pigeon shooting so i went out today.this is first time iv been.i set my hide up near hedge, put 10 decoys in horseshoe pattern facing into the wind and then waited.didnt see any pigeons for ages and then saw the odd one or two but they were high up and not taking notice of my decoys. had a sandwhich and then a crow flew over me so i had that.no pigeons so went for a wander, saw a coulpe fly up from some cabbages so moved there, again nothing, saw one or two fly past and that was it. saw a few in some trees so thort id set up under tree and put decoys on grass in front of tree but no joy. after four and a half hours of no pigeons coming in i decided to go. i may have been doinf things wrong or not being patience enough. i suppose some days there are loads of pigeons about and others hardly any. im gona get back out soon though. the farm says thevy got a problem with pigeons and the cabbages have been mullerd by pigeons, also saw a bird scarer so must be some about. anyone give any advice, books or websites that may be useful?

regards

hi FB

how much recon did you do mate ? did you watch the fields for a while (i.e couple of days) or did you just turn up ?

as for advice and books i would have a look back throught some of the pages on this forum and read a few of the articles to see how others do it ! when i started pigeon shooting 5 years ago i studied archie coats book and peter theobalds book. these are 2 great titles full of usefull tips.

also have you got a magnet or flapper at all ? if not i suggest you dig deep in those pockets and scrape together a few pennies for one. you really need abit of movement in your pattern. have a magnet and flapper and had some great results last summer .a magnet would definatly be a help if you have to decoy on those cabbages !!

let us know how you get on

cheers BS ;)

You should have offered them a bite of your sandwich ;)

No wonder they never came near you if you don't share ???

Hopefully next time you will get better results.

I hear some pigeons won't take interest in a small decoy pattern try keeping a few frozen ones when you get em and use more for decoys.

Best thing is doing the homework. Find fields that have just been drilled and watch the birds.

Find their flight lines etc and set un under their lines real early and wait for them to arrive.

LG

If you are limited with reconnaisance time, then ask the people at the farm where they have been seeing the pigeons and at what time of day.

That will give you a bit of a start.

You don't say what crop you first set up on and what crop are the "cabbages" ?

I know its obvious, but you have to put your decoys where the pigeons might want to go.

Decoys aren't magic things that automatically attract pigeons.

Post all the questions you like, people on here will try to help. :(

well i didnt do much recon, couldnt get up before i went. i spoke to the farmer tho and he said theyd been on cabbages.i think in future il nip the evening before if i can. alsotheyv just planted a field up so idv thought that will get hit by them soon. i am considering a magnet when got the pennies, gona see what sucess i get without one for a while. the cabbages had been eaten alot by them so i thought that would be a good place and plus the farmer said they had been there. iv ordered a book of amazon to help.

thanks for the replies

hi Richard.

learn to sit and watch mate(without the gun), its time never wasted.

if you shoot em up in the wrong area, it will spoil the good times that are to come.

my last 5 trips out have all been a waste of time mate 60 mile round trips.

some days you just dont get a shot.but it will come. Patience.

its all reconnaissance work I'm afraid, even if your on the right field, it may not be the right corner or section, and even if you can see where they've been at the crop thats not to say that theyre still munching at the same part. Did you see them feeding in the field anywhere? if not and the farmer insists they're on it maybe it was just an unlucky day, but you should try and get there beforehand and check out which part of the field theyre in.

IAS

mark, that guns gr8. fits me well and i enjoyed takin thatcrow with it.hopefully il be takin some pigeons with it soon.

Iam, i hardly saw any pigeons all day so i guess it was just one of those days. gona do a bit of reading, got ,the pigeon shooter, of amazon yest. il get back out next week hopefully, may nip for a walk around this sun.il keep you all posted

regards

If the blueies an't there...you cant shoot them! As the other guys said recon is essential. The problem is if you've only got limited permission...and the birds arn't feeding there, then I'm afraid pot shots is all you'll have.

Start tapping the neighbouring farms...you may find that increasing you area could prove productive

well its a 350 acre farm so i should find some, plus theres a goos mix of crops. some just been put in in the last week so when they pop up i should be in. once iv got to know who the neighbouring farms are il get in there.

May I suggest that you always, always find out the name of the farmer first.

Best of all, ask the farmer who's land that you shoot on to contact his neighbours, as personal recommendation is always best. Obviously only do this once you have established with him that you are keen, willing and if necessary prepared to help him out with the odd job.

Always, give the farmer a bottle and a box of chocs for his wife - even if the land is not really suitable as you never know who he will speak to.

Don