best way to soot from defender 90

hill billy

i went out on friday round one of my permissions i invited a mate of mine who is also shooting nuts, for an added bonus he brought his defender with him which saved walking, we had a great night shot 51 rabbits however i think we could have easily doubled our bag if we knew a better way to shoot from the landy its hard back so you can't shoot from the roof so we ended up with the driver using a 500,000 candle power lamp and stopping every time we sore a rabbit then the shooter jumping out and resting on the door to shoot which gave the bunnies more than enough time to run for cover. i normally use a light force 170 with a red filter mounted to my scope and walk round but because the landy is right hand drive and i shoot right handed it would have been a bit of a job trying to hold the rifle out the window to lamp with :(

so i was wondering if any of you had divised some way of lamping a bit easier from a landy

cheers

buy yourself a series 2 a landy (free tax) and put a pick up cab on it , you can stand in back and with the aid of a grab rail hold on and stop and shoot from the roof failing that on a good night i take the roof off altogether and the windscreen folds down onto the spare wheel on the bonnet giving you alround shooting, i love my old landy she s old slow but great for lampin ;);)

cheers kirky

in youre mates defender have the driver lamp out the window and you shoot from the passenger window and get him to swing to an angle that you can shoot the rabbit when he stops.rob idea is a1 lamp on roof hands out windows often get cold cheers and good luck kirky

Edited by kirky640

Take a tin opener to the roof!!! :blink:

Thats what we did to kenzies' dads old landy.........we cut a big square out in the middle of the roof and made a lid to fit back in out of 1" angle plus ally plate. Was fantastic to shoot from and me and kenzie were able to both get in the back and one lamped while the other shot. We had a roof mounted lamp for when it was just me and kenzies' dad that were lamping (kenzie likes his bed tooo much :lol::lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

We used to shoot sitting in the bonnet mounted spare wheel on my seies three. We used to fill a nitram bag with straw to cushion the ride. We also nicked a pile comforter (heavy duty rubber ring) to fit in the spare wheel from an elderly relative, he was a shooting man so he understood the need :blush:

FT

Learn to shoot left-handed! Works perfectly sitting in the comfy passenger seat :blush: Driver lamps and picks up.

You must have a much more obliging driver than us lot. Or do you have the wife well trained?

You'd have to buy a lot of beer round here to get the driver to lamp and pick up after you.

Ft

Guest Mr Pieman

FT

Its called team work.

I provide the vehicle, rifle ammo and fuel, he drives and picks up. The bunnies go to the gamedealer and we split the cash 50/50.

Suits us.

PP

FT

Its called team work.

I provide the vehicle, rifle ammo and fuel, he drives and picks up. The bunnies go to the gamedealer and we split the cash 50/50.

Suits us.

PP

You said driver, when you really meant chauffeur. With us its always much more chaotic and involves much taking of the urine.

Ft

It's easy enough shooting right handed from the passenger seat. The driver needs to get used to your shooting angles and turn the landy away from the target to give you the angle off the wing mirror. It doesn't take much to get it right with a bit of practice.

I've got a roof mounted lamp (the one on a horizontal pole with suction cups. Works a treat and can be adjusted so it holds direction while I shoot and drive. Mainly though I drive and lamp and her indoors shoots and picks up. It makes sense that while the passenger is picking up, the driver can look for more critters.

If there's three of us it's one driving and lamping with one out of the passenger window and one up out of the sunroof.

Dave