Town & Country Sports closing down

chrispti

Went in there today but was rather disappointed by the attitude of the caretaker staff who seem reluctant to let anything go for significantly less than its already inflated retail price.

I went in there with a couple of hundred quid intending to restock my shooting wardrobe but left without buying anything because of their refusal to even match the price of other shooting shops, never mind the internet.

But if anyone is interested they have quite a bit of decent clothing in smaller sizes and a lot of guns left. If you are prepared for a bit of brinkmanship you might get a bargain in the last week or so.

Their idea of a giveaway price on a Browning Maxus was a scant 70 quid below the price one can buy them for anywhere else.

A hat which I recently bought for £15 from another shop had a tag price of £59.99 and he was prepared to let me have it for £45!

Absolutely clueless. The daft thing being that when the shop finally closes anything unsold will go for auction where it will fetch absolute peanuts.

Well, why don't I sound surprised?

Their customer care was so far in the negative that it had to be seen to be believed. My wife refused ever to enter the shop again, a pal's wife told one of the staff what she thought of his rudeness and was totally ignored.

I wonder who'll now run their (over-priced) straw baler at Romsey or is it another local shoot lost?

It has to be said that it's a shame to lose yet another shooting shop and that a large area of south Hampshire is now a long way from such an enterprise but, to be brutally honest, they deserved it.

Shame but I also have to agree , I did get a very good price and quick delivery of my pump from dave at town and country who also converted from FAC to SGC but he seems to have dissapeard over the last few months. Ideally he would chop down the prices to at least sell some of his gear before the auctioneers do but unfortunately it tells the same story.

Probably part of the Reason they are in the situation they are in now. Shame though.

Always been a funny old shop, vastly overpriced and reasonably rude staff.

I phoned the shop up and asked if i came up with some cash could i buy some guns at trade sort of prices along with remaing rifle ammo and shotgun carts and the response was no we aerw not doing any deals apart from a few new semi autos at knockdown prices which if i walked into any other shop could still buy cheaper!

Shame but I also have to agree , I did get a very good price and quick delivery of my pump from dave at town and country who also converted from FAC to SGC but he seems to have dissapeard over the last few months. Ideally he would chop down the prices to at least sell some of his gear before the auctioneers do but unfortunately it tells the same story.

Probably part of the Reason they are in the situation they are in now. Shame though.

Dave no longer works there mate.

They are not in any difficulty, the woman who owns the shop, also owns a transport company. She cannot run both business's and as the transport company makes more money than the shop, she decided to close it down or sell it. I believe there were 2 people making enquiries into the shop/ business.

I know it`s been done to death on other threads but I really do wonder what it is about the modern retail gun trade,as opposed to the proper old fashioned Gun Trade since I`m old enough to remember when at least one local shop had a London trained and time served gunsmith working in house every day, and the staff actually knew what they were talking about.

Contrast that to many of todays retail outlets where many of the staff are ignorant of the technical spec of their stock and they seem reluctant to sell anything at competetive, and I don`t mean silly give away prices, who then complain about competition from the internet whilst you`re standing in front of them with a fistfull of notes that they don`t want to take.

Others have commented on the snotty attitude of some staff. I wonder what is peculiar to the retail gun trade that makes staff behave like that?

I know they are not all the same and there are some good ones out there but what other branch of retail sometimes makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by selling you something.?

Others have commented on the snotty attitude of some staff. I wonder what is peculiar to the retail gun trade that makes staff behave like that?

I know they are not all the same and there are some good ones out there but what other branch of retail sometimes makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by selling you something.?

Many, many times I have wondered this very question myself. Retailers do come in all shapes and forms but the gun trade seems to have way more that it's fair share of poor attitudes. :hmm:

Dave no longer works there mate.

They are not in any difficulty, the woman who owns the shop, also owns a transport company. She cannot run both business's and as the transport company makes more money than the shop, she decided to close it down or sell it. I believe there were 2 people making enquiries into the shop/ business.

I went in to pick up some cleaner last week and there was woman showing a guy around and she made no efforts in hiding how kean she was for a quick sale.

Dave could be a difficult ****** at times but you could usually have a deal with him on clothing. I have never found them any good on cartridges or guns.

Well, I went there this morning to get a pair of MacWets for £20.00. I couldn't believe it, the two chaps in there were pleasant, chatty and helpful, has it changed management? The sign on the door said "closing for stocktaking on the 23rd", no mention of closing down and, apart from the gloves, no sign of a sell off.

The thot plickens!

Edited for typos

Edited by Chris Bb

Well, I went there this morning to get a pair of MacWets for £20.00. I couldn't believe it, the two chaps in there were pleasant, chatty and helpful, has it changed management? The sign on the door said "closing for stocktaking on the 23rd", no mention of closing down and, apart from the gloves, no sign of a sell off.

The thot plickens!

Edited for typos

Sounds like she may have sold it then :hmm:

Edited by chrispti

• 2 weeks later...