Couple of Cull Bucks

Tam

The mad woman got me some stalking with Mark Robson for my birthday. I had arranged meet up with Mark about 7ish but left a bit earlier is case I got caught up in T in the Park Traffic. Anyway, met Mark & headed off to check zero on my rifle - 2 clicks to right & on centre bull :good: As we headed down the road we checked a bit on the side of the wood to see if anything was local - nope so off we headed to some of Mark's superb ground (well it is "Gods Country after all") The first place we tried overlooked a valley with a wood & grass fields on the other side. Mark said if we don't find anything we will sit out in the field later as something is sure to come out the wood as the grass had just been topped & they loved the new sweet growth. Anyway after looking there & climbing another hillock with 4 foot bracken (remember I'm not a racing snake anymore if I'm back please Mark :blush: ) we found that the farmer had been up spreading slurry & the area was quite high with overgrowth.

Back in the truck to next area but on the way we stopped off to check out a couple of wheat fields that Mark had heard the top one was windblown & flat, half way up the first field a Roe jumped through the fence 20 yards to our right as we walked up the tram lines left by the tractors :oops: the wheat was that high that we would never have seen it in a million years!When we got to the top field we found the wheat just as tall. Back to the truck to try another area - walked up the edge of field & round the wood, again a deer ran inside the wood but the cover was high & nothing showing in the clearings. Headed back to truck again & saw plenty footprints in all the tractor tracks :yes: even the 4 1/2 foot rape! hope the yield is as good as the growth for the farmer.

From there we headed to another farm (I had lost my bearings but this was where we were going to wait on the freshly topped grass on the other side of the valley as mentioned earlier. On the approach to the field we saw a Fox running out about 80 yards (you used one of your life's there Charlie as we had other things on our list) Half way up the field Mark saw a Roe Doe & Kid run back in to the wood! he thought that would spook everything. A couple of steps further Mark saw a Buck at the bottom of the valley on some set aside, as we headed down we had some obstacles to cross :oops: never easy is it :lol: after we crossed the main obstacle we looked where the Buck was only to find it gone :hmm: we paused for a bit & as it was heading downhill on the hillock we thought it may be out of sight at the bottom? We stalked carefully down the field for what seemed like ages - once at the bottom we looked & better looked :look: there was a huge overland water pipe & a burn & heavy weed, thistle, nettles separating us from the next field/setaside area where the buck was! We must have waited 20 minutes & were sure that the Buck had not gone back over the hillock as it was working it's way down? After no sign we headed back up the field, once at the top Mark was once again glassing the area with his binoculars whilst I was recovering/catching my breath :blush: After I recovered I raised my swaros & saw movement - I saw antlers above the hillock (or did I ??, was buck fever kicking in ?) I told Mark where I saw the deer & he eventually saw it too (sigh of relief - I'm not going mad)so off we trots back down. When we got to the bottom again the deer were still at the top of the hillock but there were 2 bucks & 1 doe, Mark suggested we cross the burn & hopefully we would be in the right place & present a safe shot when we got there. You will get wet feet he said (I had high leg boots on but wasn't bothered if I did) Mark set the sticks up but the deer were now too low & out of sight due to the undergrowth :blush: The first buck came in to view & Mark said take the shot when you are ready (never shot at that range off sticks before :blink: ) once I was ready & the shot looked good to me I squeezed the trigger - Mark said good shot - I asked if it's down, yep reload ( wondering if it needed a follow up shot ???) on the right hand track you will see the other buck - can't see it yet I said, just then it came in to view but was heading up the hill, we shouted, whistled & eventually it stopped & turned for a second - a second was all I needed ;) Mark headed across to collect them & asked me to go back across the burn & find a crossing point downstream from where we were earlier. Well the shallowest bit was 2 feet deep :oops: with steep nettle & thistle encrusted banking. Mark gralloched the Bucks & we headed back up the hill. We did not cross my last crossing as the burn was narrower & faster flowing but I fell in the small ditch the other way :blush: At the top of the field Mark shouted I'll go & bring the truck down to the gate (huge sigh of relief from me as I was about 50 yards behind & struggling)

Anyway, thanks to Lynelle (Hopper on here) & Mark for a thoroughly enjoyable evening :good:

ps, just recovering fully from Friday - being arthritic doesn't help :blush:

I got a DVD of a fellow PW member, skinned & butchered the Deer & made Venison Kebabs, Venison Burgers, Venison Chili & the rest of the joints are on the freezer for ron :good:

010-3.jpg