What equipment wiil i need.

Hi folks im new to the site so dont know if im putting this in the right section.

I am starting up pigeon decoying this year,and was wondering what equipment i would need i know ill need decoys but which ones. I have got about £80.00 to get me started so funds are a bit limited,i know i wont get much for this amount but i can build it up over time,thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :good:

Have a look in the board index,there are sections here to help you out with good imformation :yes:

A set of 12 shells on wobble sticks and a couple of bouncers to create some movement will get you started and within your budget.

You will also need at least a couple of hide poles/leaf cut net and when you have more funds a rotary is a benifit most of the time,but the most important thing in your kit is you......or at least your knowledge of flight lines etc,again tips can be found in the board index.

Have fun,it is now coming to the best time of year for decying pigeons what with harvest and then the drillings.

This would be my advice on spending your money:

£65 gets you an excellent net and poles, Stealth net and twistlock poles. I know this sounds extravagant but these are something you'll have for years and will need every time you go out. This is from the site sponsors UKShootwarehouse.

£18 from that auction site for a dozen shell decoys.

With some discount as a PW member I reckon you just about keep inside your budget.

You'll need something to sit on so for now an old plastic bucket maybe with some sponge on top for comfort.

That is a real basic but essential basis of your kit. When funds allow a bouncer at £16 will add good movement and height to your pattern especially in long crop.

Hope this helps

Cos

Well id say

Shell decoys.

Bouncer.

Hide Poles

Hide Net.

Are you handy with your hands? Wilco sell some good clothes line props, with a few little mods they can be good hide poles.

Ex Army nets can be had cheaply about £20 for a good sized peice, an you can always attach more local camouflauge.

Bouncers can be good but id say they were not essential, and i prefer a rotary, perhaps forget the bouncer and save up?

Get at least 12 shells with solid pegs then buy a set of spring pegs too.Sometimes in high winds spring sticks can be a pain in the kyber.

That should get you started.

If anyone on here has it i think there was a good article on this in Sporting Shooter in 2005/6( ??? ) where Don Brunt had to get completly kitted out for £500 including gun and cartridges. Maybee if someone has it they could scan and post it, it was very good as i recall.

Fud decoys all the way easy to carry :good: a flapper for a bit of movement a bouncer you cannot beat dead birds for deaks also :good: put them in the right areas and they will work :good: face them into the wind :good: Their is plenty of nets on the well Know auction site :good: once you start you will never look back its a very addictive sport :good: good field craft beats all the gimicks i find try keeping things simple and read whats going on around you :good: watch the birds and wind direction :good:

I've got all the kit mate, and still can't get it right, so the kit isn't the be all and end all.

Scour this site, there is some priceless knowledge on here and some really good guys to get tips from.

I'd agree, a hide foremost (other than a gun) some good shelled deeks, and I do better with a bouncer than the magnet.

If you feel inclined, and if one our more expert residents is near to you, see if you can meet up on your permission for a few tips once you've got your kit.

Its a superb form of shooting, frustrating at times, but when you get it right you'll be obsessed with it. Get sorted now this is one of the best times to start, just before or early harvest.

Good luck.

This would be my advice on spending your money:

£65 gets you an excellent net and poles, Stealth net and twistlock poles. I know this sounds extravagant but these are something you'll have for years and will need every time you go out. This is from the site sponsors UKShootwarehouse.

£18 from that auction site for a dozen shell decoys.

With some discount as a PW member I reckon you just about keep inside your budget.

You'll need something to sit on so for now an old plastic bucket maybe with some sponge on top for comfort.

That is a real basic but essential basis of your kit. When funds allow a bouncer at £16 will add good movement and height to your pattern especially in long crop.

Hope this helps

Cos

Sorry to be picky, but you could get by without a hide net or poles. A friend of mine only ever uses natural hides and does very well.I also wouldn't bother with a seat to start off with. In my early years of decoying, i always used to stand.

• 3 weeks later...

10 or 20 flocked shells and spring sticks.

Hide poles.

A net, dont worry too much about the quality, just stuff it with surrounding vegetation.

Some bouncers, you can make them cheap out of a garden cane to begin with.

When funds allow, a rotary and a turbo flapper or 2 :good:

To start with, Id suggest inviting someone out with you, who has the experience and all the gear, to show you how to set it all out and make best use of it.

They can also teach you about field craft, flight lines and all the other tricks of the trade :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be picky, but you could get by without a hide net or poles. A friend of mine only ever uses natural hides and does very well.I also wouldn't bother with a seat to start off with. In my early years of decoying, i always used to stand.

Fair comment, only a personal thing but I prefer not to have to relly on natural resource as some farms are quite bare, one in Cambridge for example I would be limited to two or three places to set up unless I'm drag branches, vegetation etc across the farm. A net and poles also allow me to move my position and set up again reasonably quickly if I need to.

And yes you can stand but again, only a personal choice but if I'm decoying for hours I prefer to sit during the quiet periods.

All is possible and each to their own.

Fair comment, only a personal thing but I prefer not to have to relly on natural resource as some farms are quite bare, one in Cambridge for example I would be limited to two or three places to set up unless I'm drag branches, vegetation etc across the farm. A net and poles also allow me to move my position and set up again reasonably quickly if I need to.

And yes you can stand but again, only a personal choice but if I'm decoying for hours I prefer to sit during the quiet periods.

All is possible and each to their own.

Agreed - a seat is highly beneficial on a long day, but on a limited start up budget i wouldn't necessarily bother. Also, you're right it's far easier to relocate with some poles and a net. My mate by the way, cuts a fresh load of branches on the day for his hide and slings them in the back of the pick up.

Sometimes i'm a bit jealous of the way he does things - he only has a few decoys, no magnet or flapper. The only gear i see him with is a billhook and a few canes. He still shoots more pigeons than me!