What would you do? (HELP)

Wildfowler12

Hi guys, wondering if you could give me some FRIENDLY advice? A guy from my shoot recently sent his stock and action off for some repair and refinish work. The work was completed and the stock and action where posted back to him using 1st class recorded mail. The parcel hasn't arrived back with him and he thinks RM have lost it. The problem is it's only been a 9days and RM don't consider a parcel lost until 3weeks has gone by. They will then do an investigation into the missing parcel (apparently). I think he should consider phoning the police and explain the situation to them but he's worried he might get in trouble for posting it, although he seems to think that as long as barrels have been removed, it's ok to post as it's classed as component parts?

Some of the other guys on our shoot have told him to just wait and see if it turns up, or if it is sent back to the sender? Others think he should explain what's gone missing to RM to see if they'll hurry along the investigation (but I think they'll hit the panic button).

Could any of you offer recommendations? Please let me know your thoughts guys.

Edited by Wildfowler69

I sent some dippas out 1st class, 60 miles away , took a day under 2 weeks to get there , 2nd class customers were takeing an average of 3 days includeing to scotland and wales . Just wait a while longer the mail say allow 2 weeks for 1st class. .

Edited by deny essex

No it was his farther in law who was doing the work for him. Definitely 1st class recorded but his F-I-L has lost the receipt with the tracking code. And NO it was incorrectly insured, so he will get naff all if it's lost.

Without receipt he is well and truly knackered better hoe it turns up!

As far as I know it would be illegal to post firearms in this way-whats to stop people posting ,say,shotguns in 2 or 3 parcels a few days apart? As the item has already been posted however,I suggest that he rings the manager where it was posted and ,calmly, ask him/her to spell their name as the police were looking to interview anyone who might be responsible for the theft of the firearm-A similar event happened to me a couple of years back with an Air Rifle(still classed as a firearm)-after I had spoken to the relevant manager my parcel arrived the following morning after being missing for 3 weeks-might just have been coincidence but who knows????

Should be with you within a week. rm have been takin a little more time of late to deliver. I got something from Japan quicker than I got something from U.K last week.

:good::yes:

I've had a few were they don't even bother, just get a card in the post box to collect.

Reason - too big to deliver! Why would they accept it as a parcell if it was too big to deliver? Seems they are on some sort of work to rule around here.

The OP should just wait it out a bit, or go to the local sorting office and make enquiries.

I gave the lad a copy of your responses and he rung RM yesterday to explain the situation. They said as the parcel was not sent special delivery they will do naff all to help and will not run an investigation as it's not trackable. They said although it's not illegal to ship in this way, they class it as prohibited goods and therefore will not pay any compensation... What a way to waste £500!!!

Simply he is a bit up a creek without a paddle, the issue you have is how long to leave it till he comes clean about it. The action is the important bit and ok its unuseable without the barrels but technically it is an offence to send it via RM. Personally I'd probably give it another week and then its time to face the music, the monetary value is irrelevant he may well not have a ticket by the time he is finished. If he is with BASC get onto them first and see what the best way to go is.

forend is fine, if the worst happened and it was lost you could get another you can't get another action. However when you look at the cost of a forend and the fact that royal mail insurance seems to exclude firearm components its probably not such a good idea

There was big thing some months ago about posting barrels and in the end it was IIRC not illegal under 1967 act but not advised by the FEO/FLO of the OP. Ideally use a courier company not royal mail and if possible get RFD to arrange collection through the RFD courier scheme, Parcel force or TNT i think.

I have lost a few things in the past one year just before Xmas a City link van got Robbed at knife point and my new fax machine went missing Local city link depot (as it had "on van for delivery") told me so but it was down to the supplier who wouldn't do anything until 14 days had passed then with Xmas etc it was 5 weeks before i got it! nothing i could do in the meantime.

Agree if the sender or recepient are BASC members (hopefully both) contact them for advice, it may be the parcel (did it have sender address?) got pulled mid shipment.

So is the only option to privately hire a courier firm then? Or I suppose you could pay your local RFD £25 to send it somewhere for you.

with your forend the only certain way is to hand deliver it, no point using a RFD to RFD service as there is no need and they use the same couriers you can use yourself with something that is essentially a piece of wood. However loss can happen the same as using royal mail only other option is a dedicated courier but the cost is too high for things like this. The issue you have is the cost of replacement is quite high for what it actually is.

With the OP it should have gone to an RFD but its too late for that now so the way forward is definitely to check with BASC how to word it to the FEO

HDAV I've heard a few things like that can be an excuse might have happened, worst we have had is a load of stuff for a large supermarket came down to london to their advertising agency who are a customer of ours to have the photos taken a load of cameras and mobiles etc they all got stolen from the same companies "secure" hub :no: they just nicely delivered the empty boxes for us. Gave me weeks of grief that one

Edited by al4x

HDAV I've heard a few things like that can be an excuse might have happened, worst we have had is a load of stuff for a large supermarket came down to london to their advertising agency who are a customer of ours to have the photos taken a load of cameras and mobiles etc they all got stolen from the same companies "secure" hub :no: they just nicely delivered the empty boxes for us. Gave me weeks of grief that one

Indeed all the courier is contracted to do is deliver the package (checking the correct contents are in it is a different matter)! This is whay you should always sign for things as unchecked (i.e. sign for a box not the goods) and why alot of stuff is sent in black shrink wrap!

My mate rung RM, BASC and his FAO today. RM said they won't pay out a thing because it's a restricted item, but both BASC and the Police said although it's frowned upon, it is actually legal to post action/stock via RM. They even said there is no law to say you cant post a shotgun with the barrels attached!!?? I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, after doing all the ringing round, his gun arrived in the post this afternoon! Thanks again for all your help guys!

Technically i think your Postie could be nicked for being in possession while delivering it (unless he was classed as your servant?) another reason our laws need a revamp and not just because of the actions of a few very very few people understand them properly! IT should be easy for everyone (police, RFD, cert holder) to understand what is and isnt permittted.