Gearbox Grinding :(

Wildfowler12

My gearbox has been making grinding noises when putting it into reverse or when trying to shift down after being in 6th gear for long periods.

I have a 2001 X-Trail with 108,000 on the clock. The clutch and flywheel where replaced at 95,000 miles. I've tried double de-clutching but it's not helping. Any ideas what could be the issue? Hopefully not as big a job as a new gearbox??

My gearbox has been making grinding noises when putting it into reverse or when trying to shift down after being in 6th gear for long periods.

I have a 2001 X-Trail with 108,000 on the clock. The clutch and flywheel where replaced at 95,000 miles. I've tried double de-clutching but it's not helping. Any ideas what could be the issue? Hopefully not as big a job as a new gearbox??

Hi sounds like the synchros may have given up the ghost, they can be replaced but box needs to come out and stripped down or alternatevly a second hand or exchange box would be the easier option

cheers Justin

Are all the other gears OK ? How easy is it to engage first from neutral ? If that's a problem it could be the clutch dragging, if a dealer paid for it, he's going to do it as cheap as possible as opposed to properly. There's even a slim chance it's just the clutch friction disc sticking on the splines causing drag.

My Renault Master is the same, just started crunching a bit when selecting first or reverse, then the crunch decided to invade second gear as well :blink:

That was 3 years ago and its only got very slightly worse in that time! A common fault on well used vans, but the gearbox is pretty strong so will probably stay until I bin the van, its almost standing me a zero now. If you cannot get a warranty repair I'd just live with it for now :good:

Neutral to first isn't too bad but it's by no means perfect. It's reverse that's the big problem. No matter how gentle I am trying to nurse it in, sure enough there's a nasty grind.

A lot of vehicles don't have synchromesh on reverse, so if there is any clutch drag it will graunch going into reverse. Nissans have always had small bearings in their gearboxes, and things have got worse since their links with Renault.

• 4 weeks later...

When you press cluch pedal the hydrolic pressure push's the operating arm so the clutch is disengaged - The fluid can leak in two ways - first is a direct leak to the outside and you will see fluid around cylinder or it could be an internal leak - when you press pedal the piston and seal push's fluid but if the seal leaks fluid will come back into main body with result the operating arm will not move the correct amount to disengage the clutch - hence grinding -- by pumping pedal quickly it builds up pressure and arm should move full travel - if you put it in gear without grinding there is your problem. seal leak! new master cylinder.

Dave

Clutch needs bled or a new master cylinder..... :good:

Nothing wrong with the box i'd say but it will cause damage if you keep running it with the clutch failing to disengage....

Regards,

Gixer

EDIT - Just noticed they diagnosed a master cyclinder.. :good: sorry for repeating!

Edited by gixer1