What is Caliber...

COLINSRI

ok

your pretty close now just imagine 0.50 cal and the pistol dirty harry used was a 44 magnum (.44) soemtimes you will see the poin (.) and sometimes you will just see the numbers.

It gets really confusing when you talk about .22 centre fire cals though LOL

.22-250

all the above are .22 centre fire (and yes i know i missed a few out LOL)

ROB <_<

Now what about Bore?

A 12 Bore or Gauge

Is the diameter 1/12th of a pound of lead made in to a perfect sphere would make

A 20 Bore being the diameter 1/20th of a pound of lead made in to a perfect sphere would make

1/20th being smaller than 1/12 hence the 20 bore is smaller than the 12 bore.

With common shotguns the only one that does not follow the rule of thumb is the

4 10 which is .410 calibre

i believe that bore means the amount of lead balls the diameter of the barrel it would take to make a pund that is why the smaller the number the bigger the barrel for example 1bore is way bigger then 20bore because more balls of lead are required to make a pound then the 1 bore where only one ball of lead is required to make a pund

i think that is right anyway.

hope it helps

cheers

flash

damn i posted when dave posted typical, though it is two different ways of explaning the same thing <_<

Edited by flash

Well, nowadays caliber can almost be seen as the name that the cartridge is given and is mostly related to the diameter of the bullet, for obvious reasons. :lol:

Since there are numerous different cartridges with the same bullet diameter, some way of differentiating between cartridges is needed, thus calling it something different.

A 38S&W and 38Special for instance is not .38" but .357", thus the same as a 357Magnum, all with different case lengths and the former two can be used in a firearm chambered for 357Magnum but not visa-versa.

A 30-06 is in fact a .308" bullet but the cartridge was incorporated in the American Army in 1906, hence the name.

Sometimes the designation is derived from the history i.e. .450-577 of the late 18th century. A .45" bullet used in a necked down .577 case.

It could be derived from the case dimensions i.e. 7x57mm Mauser. A 7mm bullet with a case of 57mm long.

Sometimes the same cartridges are given different names to remove a connection, like military cartridges. 9x19 NATO (9mm bullet with a 19mm case) = 9mm Parabellum = 9mm Luger or .308 Win = 7.62x52 NATO or .223 Rem = 5.56x45 NATO.

All cartiges with the same bullet and seemingly similar shapes are not compatible. For instance you will get a 9x17(9mmShort), 9x18(9mm Makarov), 9x19(Parabellum, Luger), 9x21(9mmSuper), etc. NONE of these are compatible. The 9mmShort has a very narrow case, the 9mmMakarov is fat and the latter two is almost parallel.

Clear as mud? <_<

And the 6.5`s maestro...........just curious??

What about them?

As far as I am aware none are campatible with each other and it would be dangerous to try swapping cartriges (a bit like biting on a stick of dinamite <_< ).

I have only used the 6.5x55 Swedish, 6.5x54 Mannlicher, the 6.5x57 Mauser and the 6.5x58 Portugese Mauser and these are significantly different from each other.

And just to confuse him even more…….a .303 is actually bigger than a.308. :blink:

(.308 = 7.823mm and the .303 = 7.925mm) :good:

But don’t worry too much about it, all will become clear in the fullness of time. :unsure:

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

Can somebody explain to me what exactly is Caliber please. I know its the bore size of the gun in parts of an inch....ie 0.22 is that of an inch.

Bret 50 caliber is not 50 inches round so what is Caliber.

is a do you not mean 5.0 which would make it a .20 cal?:good: might be on the wrong track here

And just to confuse him even more…….a .303 is actually bigger than a.308. :oops:

(.308 = 7.823mm and the .303 = 7.925mm) :good:

But don’t worry too much about it, all will become clear in the fullness of time. :unsure:

G.M.

According my calculations .................

.308" = 7.82mm and .303" =7.70mm

Although I could be wrong I doubt it, after all I am as perfect as is possible in human form :blink: