Hi from SWales....

simjakcal

Hi,,,first post so would just like top say Hi to all and any local shooters on here...

Im currently liveing in Llanharry near Pontyclun,,I held a shotgun license for 10yrs from the age of about 18 and did mainly rough shooting on a mate's uncles farm.

MY mate has just been lucky enough get onto a local shoot this year down at Llampha,and they had a bit of a get-together the other weekend with a bbq and clay shoot to which i thoughly enjoyed,after not shooting a gun for a good 10 yrs or more im now fully bitten by the clay !

I just got my shotgun license,so ive been around a few local gun shops this week and it looks like im going to get myself a 'Berreta silver pigeon 1' tomorow from Sportsmans in Newport,after paying them a visit today..

Looking forward to getting back into a great sport and hopefully makeing some new friends at all the local grounds...

Cheers

Simon...

I just got my shotgun license,so ive been around a few local gun shops this week and it looks like im going to get myself a 'Berreta silver pigeon 1' tomorow from Sportsmans in Newport,after paying them a visit today..

Looking forward to getting back into a great sport and hopefully makeing some new friends at all the local grounds...

Cheers

Simon...

Hello and welcome, before you splash the cash i recommend a visit here http://www.treetops-sporting.co.uk/ have a lesson (they have guns available, then before you buy take the gun your considering out for a quick round and get the fit checked. Sportsman has a great range and god prices (I have always had good service from them in Newport) but they aren't adverse to selling you what's on the shelf rather than what fits... Like any shop really.

hi and many thanks...

HDAV,,,,my plan was to go buy the gun tomorow and then see if i could book a lesson at treetops for thursday evening as i see their open till late,,,i wasnt to sure on their facilities with trying out different guns,,,but your advice is sound,thankyou....i will call treetops tomorow and have a chat with them first,i finish work at 1530 tomorow so i may see if i can go straight down there and have a lesson...

i see your in local to me swales ?

thanks again

simon...

hi and many thanks...

HDAV,,,,my plan was to go buy the gun tomorow and then see if i could book a lesson at treetops for thursday evening as i see their open till late,,,i wasnt to sure on their facilities with trying out different guns,,,but your advice is sound,thankyou....i will call treetops tomorow and have a chat with them first,i finish work at 1530 tomorow so i may see if i can go straight down there and have a lesson...

i see your in local to me swales ?

thanks again

simon...

Yeah I'm in Cardiff, I would say see if you can get a lesson first Andrew the coach & owner is good and will explain gun fit if you ask him to go through it with you, well worth being aware of the way it should fit and get some independent advice first then (Sportsmans are open late thursday too) go splash the cash!

Thanks all for the welcome :)

I did as advised and gave Treetops a call today and managed to get in with Andrew this afternoon for a lesson,and also had a good chat with him,,with regards my requirements...

A Berreta SP1 should hopefully be sitting in my gun safe tomorow evening :)

Thourghly enjoyed my 50-bird lesson today and will most probably call back in there tomorow after ive picked the gun up for another 100-bird practice,,,will then look into booking some more lessons with Andrew...

Thanks for the sound advice to get some impartial advice :good:

If theres ever a meet up off here,id love top tag along.....

cheers

simon...

Cheers HDAV,,,must say i felt a lot happyier after speaking to Andrew today,as i did have some conflicting advice from another local dealer...yet sportsmans gave good sound advice that Andrew backed up and added to...

just reading another post,regarding buying cartriges that u posted on ! u mention ''eley first 28g £37 a slab IIRC'' being completly new to all this,are these an ideal/cheap cart to use for clays and wheres the best place to get them ? was looking at picking up a 1000 tomorow but some guidence would be of great help ;)

cheers

simon...

ps...what does IIRC mean----if i remember correctly ????

IIRC - If I Recall/Remember Correctly

Eley first are fine cheap and quite soft sportsmans do decent prices on carts from £35-£39 a slab and you save a few £ Treetops sell for £160 per thousand (Supergems?) or £44 ish a slab Sportsmans will generally do a slab (250) at 1/4 of the 1000 rate which is nice. You might want to start off on 21g as less recoil and a bit cheaper £35 a slab IIRC If your buying a brand new SP1 then go for as much free/bundled stuff as you can, Gun Slip, cleaning spary, cleaning kit/boresnake, slab or 2 of carts, skeet vest, glasses, ear defenders etc etc etc you'll need it all eventually and buying it in one hit can save a few £££ just do your research on prices of things online etc before you turn up with cash to burn!

Some links:

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/compcarts-first.html

http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Oils__Cleaners_Etc.html

http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_London_Gunstock_Kit.html

http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Shotgun_Tools.html

http://www.hoppes.com/products/kits_boresnake_softsided.html

http://www.topgunclothing.co.uk/

Edited by HDAV

Hi,,,

Well picked my new sp1 up after work today :)

Was happy with the deal on the gun as i px'd a Airarms TX200 i had against it,plus they threw a gun slip in for the shotgun as well....

Also kitted myself out with some discounted :good: glasses,ear defenders,some oil and a snakebore/boresnake,,really impressed with the ease of cleaning with this compared to the old rods i use to use ! stocked up on 4 slabs of Eley carts as well,,went for the 28g as this is what i use to use before talking to my m8...

So off to Treetops i went for 100 birds,,really enjoyed hitting a few plus missing quite a few....but that will come in time !

I did have a problem with the gun on my last cart of the day tho,where i couldnt break the barrel to eject the cart ! thinking it was because the gun was so hot..so i wonderd back upto the logcabin and seen Andrew,,who had a quick look and decieded it was best to get it back to sportsman's,fair do's he called them first for me and i shot off back down there ! it turned out to be the barrel selector/safety button was set half un half ! i must have moved it with out knowing causeing the problem durrrrr ! so they tested 10 carts with it and all was fine :) plus as i was getting back in the car one of the boys ran out and gave me 4 boxes of carts :good:

so all in all im well happy with the days events and looking forward to my next outing..

cheers

Simon....