sitty tree

BenBhoy

hey guys,

one of my permission fields has a tree in a hedge that the birds love, always some in there and some flighting to it. the crop is wheat so should be getting cut soon. this will be first time i've shot this field when it's stubble. so was wondering where you'd set your pattern & yourself in relation to the tree? i was thinking deeks about 40yds into field from the tree/hedge and then i'd position myself abit further up the hedgeline? any ideas? cheers

When you arrive , give it ten minutes watching just to see wind direction and how the birds approach the field. The tree will always be a draw for them , so even if they are not interested in the field use the tree to your advantage , give them something to look at a few deeks or a whirly.

Place yourself under where they are approaching the tree . directly under a tree is not always best.

Hope this helps

Hitman..

When you arrive , give it ten minutes watching just to see wind direction and how the birds approach the field. The tree will always be a draw for them , so even if they are not interested in the field use the tree to your advantage , give them something to look at a few deeks or a whirly.

Place yourself under where they are approaching the tree . directly under a tree is not always best.

Hope this helps

Hitman..

cheers. i didn't want to be directly under the tree cos i thought branches may obstruct my view, and if im under it facing my deeks, but bird lands in other side of tree, behind me then i wont get a shot at it.

Hope this helps

Hitman..

Good advice above :yes: and if possible try to position yourself so the wind is at your back :good:

My personal preference would be to keep the tree about 20/30 yards to my left, and a few decoys/rotary between me and the tree about 10/20yards out.

A lot will depend on what vision you have sitting under the tree.

If you can see through it and out into the field, then set up under it, but if you can't see properly, then set your hide just along the hedge giving you the best (in range) view.

You can still put the decoys in front of the tree.

I have a great looking sitty tree right in the middle of a field, but its an old oak and the branches start about 5ft from the ground and sag lower as they go out.

It is so thick throughout Spring and Summer that when you set up under it you can't see a thing that lands in it and your vision into the field is very limited.

The pigeons are drawn to it, but its frustrating how many opportunities you miss.

I really wish there was a hedgerow about 20ft either side of it. :yes:

found my self in this position only yesterday ,,birds where not going to the pattern but straight into the tree,,so i turned my chair to face the tree,,i was 35 ish yards from the tree,ended with 28 pigeons all of them going into the tree or round the top of it ,had a crow pattern off to my right ,,which was now behind me ,15 crow deeks on the floor,and ended with 37 rooks and carrion crows,i think i probably had 3 times more than that over the pattern,the ones that made the slightest noise coming in paid ,,the quiet ones went away unaware i was there.

I spend quite a bit of time shooting under a sitty tree and as has already been said under it with the decoys 20 yards or so out and the wind at your back is ideal ,the only trouble is if the wind is not in your back they will often come into the tree on your blind side which can be very frustrating ,as you have a hedge if you cant get the wind in your back I would move 20-30 yards doen the hedge a shoot them as crossers when they come to the tree instead of the decoys. :good: