Digital Camera

JohnGalway

It would be a bit mean if I didn't answer this.

John

When it comes to buying digital cameras the world's your winkle - there is quite a range.

Your budget has to be the primary consideration however it also depends on what you intend doing with it. At a basic level you need and optical zoom, i.e. the fixed lens moves in and out to change the focal legth allowing wide angle and telephoto shots. Plus you need a viewing screen on the back of the camera to review your pictures, this will also help you to edit the shots when you are away from your computer freeing up media card space.

The higher the quoted number of mega pixels the better quality the images will be, most amateur systems start at 3 or 4 these days and go up from there, to be honest 5 or 6 is more than adequate for your use.

If you get very keen you will need an SLR no not a self loading rifle! - a single lense reflex. This is the next stage up which will allow lenses to be changed according to the shot required.

I would recommend the Canon Ixus range, a compact award winning stainless steel camera which folds to about the size of 20 cigarettes, costing between £90 - £200 depending on spec.

The Canon Outlet is a company who advertise on Ebay, selling "refurbished" cameras. These are new cameras returned due to leads missing or damaged boxes the link will take you there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet-DSC-IXU...1QQcmdZViewItem

Take heart when you pay for your camera, I have just bought a Hasselblad / Phase One combination which gave me very little change out of £30,000 !! (and yes the number of noughts are correct) and the worst thing is it's my second. :blush:

photopro

Panasonic Lumix FZ5.

Small, lightweight, and the best thing about it is the Leica 36 - 432 (12x) lens with stabiliser.

Its an absolute beauty, and bloody easy to operate. Set it on auto, and away you go.

Priced about £225 - 250.

It was one of my intentions this weekend to learn how to send pics to this forum, and so I'll do my best.

Don

I second the Ricoh and the Fuji cameras BOTH spot on for their money Ricoh being the more expensive

For £250 toy should be able to afford on of the high end Fuji range with an SLR body BUT if your wanting Point and Click and good images then it leaves the gate open to LOTS of cameras

I just got a cheapo Fuji A201 for £15 second hand and the images are ok (take a look at the sporting pics section for Thimbleby clay ground)

Don't always beleive the pictures they post on the internet and say this is from the cameras for sale and there is a picture perfect photo of K2 or Ben Nevis etc

Check out the reviews and ask in Jessops etc for advice (advice dont mean you have to BUY from them :blush: )

LG

You want LENS quality rather than Mega Pixels

I have seem Pictures from a 3MP camera OUTCLASS a 6mp camera because the LENS on the 3mp was far superior to the peephole lens on the 6mp

I am sure the camera my Friend has is a Lumix with a lens made by licea and it has FANTASTIC clarity

As i say look for a Camera with Good lens AND a decent image resolution of around 3mp up over

The Fuji 5500 up over are very nice

Lumix

Richoh

And as mentioned above Kodak etc

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

You want LENS quality rather than Mega Pixels

I have seem Pictures from a 3MP camera OUTCLASS a 6mp camera because the LENS on the 3mp was far superior to the peephole lens on the 6mp

I am sure the camera my Friend has is a Lumix with a lens made by licea and it has FANTASTIC clarity

As i say look for a Camera with Good lens AND a decent image resolution of around 3mp up over

The Fuji 5500 up over are very nice

Lumix

Richoh

And as mentioned above Kodak etc

LG

I agree, lense quality does matter, but you tend to pay more aswell, sometimes.

My wifes cousin has a Cannon with less pixels then mine, 3.0 i think, but the pictures are fantastic. :blush:

Great lense makers Cannon. :drinks:

As if to prove the point the 4.1meg Ixus is rated as a far better camera then the 5meg that replaced it :blush:

I get mine for nothing from work, but if I was spending my own money it would be the Ixus (old one) for qaulity or a Casio Xlim for shear portabilty - these things are wafer thin and top quality :drinks:

Hi Frank,

We were out until 3am last night so I'm going to gather together the suggestions I've recieved here today/tonight and take a good look at them. Am in no condition to make big decisions at the moment ??? It'll be Monday or Tuesday before I can get to civilisation to check them out for real so I've until then to decide :o

John

:yes: That bad is it? :o was you out after foxes or the amber nectar? :rolleyes: :o

:o That bad is it? :o was you out after foxes or the amber nectar? :rolleyes: :o

Definately, I just about remembered to go to bed I was that knackered lol. Was 2 of us after foxes, hes killed at least 6 lambs in 3 of our places. I wouldnt have minded so much but there was a free bar in town last night too :yes: Have seen the sod 2 nights in a row now, smart though hes comfy at 70/80 yards then gets edgy and is more careful after that. He caught me out in a jungle last night, still it's an improvement from the boghole he put me in a few weeks back ??? One of these nights I'm gonna knock him on his *** though :(

John

:lol: What you need is a .223 and then all your troubles will be over sir. ;):D

And don't I know it! I was making a deal with the devil last night for my soul if he could produce one on the spot :rolleyes: There was 2 lovely shots for it with great backstops and this fox was stopping sideways and all looking at us, but mocking is catching they say and I'm determined to catch him (my friend would say obsessed lol).

John

Is it just the 1 fox John that you need shot of?

Is it just the 1 fox John that you need shot of?

Not entirely sure Frank, I know for definite this one is killing as it's travelling the paths where lambs have been found (going to set a snare or two this week when I get some, not the way I'd ideally like to do it but...). I'd suspect there's a minimum of 3, and going on the numbers that were there last year it could be more. We're seeing it around the 12.30/1am mark so it could be travelling in rather than having the den nearby. I'm not yet expierenced enough to say if it's a dog or vicky from seeing it from 80 yards or so but it's very dark brown and black in colour.

So much for this being a camera thread :yes: Maybe I am obsessed :rolleyes:

John

:o you think your obsessed? ??? , Im not too far behind you mate. :o