Pen thefts

We've had the padlock smashed off our pen over the weekend and the electric fence zapper stolen, as far as I can see birds were not taken but hard to say as they are big enough to fly out of the pen now. Nothing else was taken and none of the feeders or water barrels were damaged. Police told me that a similar problem occured somewhere else in Bedfordshire. Anyone else had problems?

last wednesday about 1130pm a well know person on the beds cambs border stole about 60 pheasants .his car or should i say his mitsi was park up some distance away by the land owner so he did not think to much of it . allso a local gamefarm had there partridge sheds broke into a keeper mate had his partridge pen drinkers feeders electric fence all stolen in one night the bloke is a total toser he has been in side something to do with firearms he runs is own small shot

A couple of my customers have had pens broken into or smashed, and birds stolen - Pheasant and Partridge- in the last couple of weeks. Also I have had several reports of similar troubles in a large arc ranging from Leighton Buzzard, round Barton, Hitchin, and on to Wheathamstead, as well as up the A505 corridor to Royston. Most of this appears to link back to persons from Stopsley (Luton) and their bretheren at Tilsworth (Leighton)

Vehicles to look out for include a Green Daihatsu 4Track on a K plate, and a Green Subaru Estate.

On a local shoot I've been helping out on, 2 weeks ago, 2 side by side partridge pens containing 400 birds were smashed up and the birds released, nothing stolen just wanton vandalism :/

We managed to catch up about 150 but where the other 250 went god only knows?

If the culprits return we have a few surprises for them :yp:

Poached, no doubt assuming no signs of fox kills.

I would suggest that all you guys around Leighton ( I used to live there for over 20 years so may know some of you) get together and compare notes with your local police wildlife officer. Perhaps a meeting at Dunstable nick. Take all your info, in particular details of your bird suppliers. Have a look in Shooting Times of a few weeks ago to see if anyone locally is selling cheap birds. If all else fails ( and its all a bit late now) then next year you should all lock your pens, deploy trail cams to cover your gates discreetly. Tell no one what you are doing. Someone within the local shooting community knows whats going on, knows where your pens are and the gate positions. This is possibly a keeper or beater or more likely an ex keeper/beater so trust no one. Trail cams on tracks in to pens are also handy of they dont flash. Be an idea to change your bird supplier, I have a reliable guy near me ( Northants). Someone is tipping off your poacher when your birds are being delivered.

Keep an ear open for keepers with returns that are just to good. My pens were robbed for 3 years, one local keeper on a new beat was getting returns of over 80%. Locked the pens and my problem solved. After 3 or 4 weeks in the pens the birds are to wild to be caught.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Gamefarm is that a green over silver fourtrak, if so I've seen it about in Lilley a couple of times and followed it out last week. If you have a full reg number that would be great

Partridges stolen from farm in Biggelswade last week and batteries nicked as well

Theres alot of people doing stuff like this at the moment weve had problems with equipment and turkeys going missing all our main fields are fenced around the edges 6ft high with metal gates which are padlocked 24/7 along with angled barbwire along the top + 4 police reject alsatians living in the pens. Night time farm entry lazer detection you name it lol weve got it.

Had alot of problems in the past if its not people taking stock there taking equipment or its Animal Aid Sneaking around the pens trying to film stuff (that actually happend a few years ago)

We had country file here filming here last year after thieves cut trhough the fence and stole some turkeys cant remember how many.