Sloe Gin

Thunderbird

Just been reading what Wikipedia has to say about Sloe Gin. I've read in a few places that waiting for the first frost to pick the sloes is as much about getting the timing and ripeness right as it is about the freezing having any effect on the berries.

Then there is the contrary view that the frost splits the skins, and obviates the need for pricking.

Views appreciated on this, especially as this year fruit in general appears to be early ripening.

i pick october frost or not (usually not) last year if i had waited for the frost i would have missed out :good:

checked the bushes i normally get my supply from and this year there aint a berry in sight :o have you sourced yours yet and how are they ?

if you think about it, alot of the recepies are copied/revised from old notes, before freezers were in every home, a reason they say to wait until the 1st frost, as that splits the skin, back then they never froze them, just picked and started making gin, nowdays we use the freezer to immate the 1st frost, freezing the berries makes them split, so in and out the freezer within 48hrs in my books

I make vodka rather than gin, and remember, when removing those berries, dont throw them away, try on top of ice cream, or covered in melted chocolate

January Celebrate New Year with your own sloe gin

February Sloe gin and champagne for Valentines Day

March/April Look out for the emergence of white blackthorn blossom in otherwise bare hegerows - and make note to return in the autumn for the sloes.

May If you haven't done so already, remove sloes from last year's bottles. There is no benefit from leaving them in the gin for more than 6 months. Decant sloe gin and store in cool dark place until required.

June/July Young sloes are very evident on blackthorn bushes if you look through all the leaves

August Sloes acquire their typical 'bloom' and look good - but DO NOT pick yet! Allow more ripening time for best results

September Make a bottle or two, but only if you must!

October probably the best time to pick your sloes (but can depend on location).Traditionally you would only pick after the first frosts of the year. Sloes bottled now can be ready for this Christmas and New Year

November Still a good month to make sloe gin, but a little bit late for this Christmas.

December Christmas holidays are a good time start sampling the bottles you started in October. Christmas presents of your own sloe gin are also always much appreciated by friends!

CJ Berry, the god of all home brewing IMHO, states the reason for allowing the first frost to get the berries, is to help break down the tannin held in the skin of the fruit, making the liquer less dry and providing a deeper colour to the liquid. :hmm:

Down on the Gower, I've attempted both methods and can't find difference between them, so pick away once purple in colour. Though freezing does help splitting the skins, saves a few hours pricking 6lb of fruit and getting purple hands :huh:

You could also try pouring cider over the decanted fruit, leave for a few days, very nice!! :P

6lb berries

2lb caster sugar

Gin to fill

Drop of Almond essense

Kilner jar, biggest you can find or 2 smaller ones.

First lot of ripe Gower berries in the freezer tonight and will be in the jar the weekend.

Courtesy of Brown Sauce - thank you mate :)

EDIT: Made the sloe gin and forgot about bags of gooseberries and raspberries from my mum I had in the freezer so got a mix of those on too in a separate jar obviously, as an experiment.

Edited by Thunderbird