crow shooting

thinxs

got to be honest i love shooting the black stuff more than anything and if anyone has any tips to improve things for me please post it!

but generally i put my decoys facing the wind or sort of side on in a sort of random patern with a minimum distace of around 6ft between them.sometimes i find if they've been shot at before they will come for a look but won't drop in low enough for a shot so i either create a opening in front of me in the pattern which they sometimes get drawn to or cut the number of decoys down. i think they could be like pigeons if they don't come in change something.

i usually start with about 8-12 then add dead one's and the more i shoot the better it gets but in some places i found it has the oposite efect!

i see that there are some shell decoys on the market now like the pigeon one's that move in the wind, anyone tried them?

i`m with you on the black bashing , there is just something so satisfing about folding crows that thought they were just out of range ! i have started adding floaters to my crow pattern witch seems to be working well , i just use pinewood floaters (that you put dead birds on) and they really do look good in the wind. looking forward to getting some tips from this thread :good:

• 4 weeks later...

I certainly don't think of myself as any sort of expert on crow shooting and decoying but I do find it very satisfying when I do manage to hit a crow and see it fold up in mid air! A trick that I find often works for me is to put one or two decoys on fence of gate posts (If there are any near by) and half a dozen decoys spread randomly on the ground - Some facing into the wind and a few side on. I then add to the pattern in a random fashion as and when I manage to hit any!

I believe that the ones on the gate or fence posts help any birds in the distance to initially see your pattern of decoys on the ground!

A good caller helps too, I use a Johnny Stewart crow caller which I find quite effective!

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly don't think of myself as any sort of expert on crow shooting and decoying but I do find it very satisfying when I do manage to hit a crow and see it fold up in mid air! A trick that I find often works for me is to put one or two decoys on fence of gate posts (If there are any near by) and half a dozen decoys spread randomly on the ground - Some facing into the wind and a few side on. I then add to the pattern in a random fashion as and when I manage to hit any!

I believe that the ones on the gate or fence posts help any birds in the distance to initially see your pattern of decoys on the ground!

A good caller helps too, I use a Johnny Stewart crow caller which I find quite effective!

I also place decoys on posts where available. They act as lookouts, and should give other birds confidence to land. I find the Primos Power crow call, one of the best on the market. When used correctly, and in conjuntion with decoys etc, it's deadly. I've also got the Johnny Stewart one as well. A crow/jackdaw attached to a flapper with an intermittent timer, is another good way of attracting corvids, especially jackdaws.