Roadkill legalities

Ferret Master

we had a thread on this a while ago, and i searched and searched and searched through uk law, and found absolutely nothing stating you can't pick up what you hit.

The only legal aspects are, in theory the highways agency own the carcasses, however hell will freeze over before you get prosecuted for taking their meat!

Also there's the 'driving deer' thing (ie intenionally driving at a deer) which you could possibly fall foul of, but unlikely... see http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/reference/dcs_drivingdeer.aspx

Roadkill. I seem to remember that I was told that if I were to pick something up that I had hit, then I would be breaking the law. However if you were following, or happened to come across game that was dead on a road then it was OK to take it.

There was a TV program about a Guy that ate what he found on roads and went round colecting Roadkill and had a freezer full of all sorts including badger!

Paladin

So far as I can make out ? >>

The Highways Agency is responsible for "removing" and disposing of injured or dead creatures from the roads.

but >

If the 'creature' is a wild animal, that is, defined as any animal not "kept" by a human, so squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, hares and badgers are probably 'safe' to collect and 'use'; assuming they not suspected of having an infectious disease.

however>

The most relevant regulation is the EU Animal By-Products Regulation. So, animals that are owned, however, must be disposed of according to EU rules - which usually means they have to be processed and incinerated. This includes pets, circus animals, and farm animals. It would, therefore, not be legal to eat them.

The most relevant regulation is the EU Animal By-Products Regulation. So, animals that are owned, however, must be disposed of according to EU rules - which usually means they have to be processed and incinerated. This includes pets, circus animals, and farm animals. It would, therefore, not be legal to eat them.

Deer are wild animals (unless part of a farmed herd), so are not covered by that legislation.

Pheasant and Partridge are farmed (when in pens), until they are released, they then become wild animals and once again are not covered.

it does make sense that there would be a law to that effect otherwise in theory you could go round trying to run down deer and wild animals just so you could pick them up. Ok you'd need a hardy vehicle but the average landy owner thinks nothing of a few dents. Though might not be the quickest vehicle for the activity ;)