muntjac and chinese water deerstalking

Another great morning out with MJS. It was a little bit foggy when we got out but that soon burnt off. Within 20 minutes of starting we had a buck and a doe in sight. A nice safe shot was taken, and another doe needs butchering and freezing! We carried on to another bit of wood just for a bit of practice, but the wind had moved round and we got winded by a buck in the wood who wouldnt stop barking!

All in, another great morning, thanks Jason.

AB

post-22713-0-89622600-1321528953.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would just like to say a big thank you to Jason for looking after me on my first stalk today. i was made very welcome and in no way rushed had a great time and saw a lot of deer,very recommended, see you again in the new year

Edited by Rich h

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back from a morning stalk with Jason (Muntjacstalker).

Had a fantastic time, and was really pleased with how it all turned out. Arrived at Jasons pad after a nightmare journey round the M25 then up the A1(M), and was put at easy immediately by Jasons friendly and informative banter. Jason explained clearly what we would be donig on our mornings stalk and gave me a few pointers (showed me the working of his rifle etc), which was ideal as this was my first time deer stalking.

We then drove to the first area where we were to stalk (more chat about fishing - which i discovered we had a shared interest in), kitted up and made our way to what He thought would be a likely area.

After a stalk of forty minutes or so (and after seeing around 4 Muntjac that didn't present a shot) we finally got close enough to a doe which hadn't seen us coming. It was rear towards us so after setting up the shooting sticks and lining up the rifle i had a tense wait for it to turn (probably only a matter of seconds in reality but it seemed much longer) Finally it turned far enough for a clean shot and i squeezed the trigger. On going to investigate (i had lost sight of the deer in the smoke and recoil of the .243) we found the deer dead in the spot where it had been standing.

Jason showed me how to gralloch the muntjac (but if i'm honest did it al himself), them home for tea and biscuits (via a tour of some of his other permissions.

All in all a very enjoyable morning and one i'm keen to repeat at the earliest opportunity.

All the best

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

had my second outing with muntjacstalker to day both times a pm stalk no luck first outing last week but did see plenty of muntjac just always to far off or partly obscured by trees bushes etc to take a shot. to day had a chance within 10mins of starting stalk, but i was not quick enough to get rifle set on shooting sticks oppurtunity gone moved on and soon spotted another had rifle ready on sticks but the munty did not turn to present a good shot. after 2hrs 20 mins just as was getting dark we spotted a doe then a buck further back got sticks ready looking along a drive, as first one moved across drive there was no chance for a shot as kept moving ,then soon after the buck moved out from cover broadside on and stoped for a moment at last the perfect oppurtunity i had been waiting for. squeezed the trigger kept looking through scope but could only see smoke then heard jason say congratulations on shooting your first muntjac he heard the bullet strike we counted 85 yards to where it had dropped on the spot. i had a great afternoon with jason who works hard at getting a result. ive already rebooked to go again in february so it looks like the cost of my shooting has just gone up as im now hooked! thanks jason.

• 3 weeks later...

I arrived at Jases place at the ungodly hour of 5.30 this morning after a 3 hour drive. When I left home the temperature was -5

After the usual welcome of a brew and good banter we set off on a 30 minute drive to some new ground with Chinese water deer on . The temperature display now said -14 .We met the farmer then headed off towards some stubble fields . The snow and ice was that crunchy under foot we may as well have been stalking on rice crispies.

We walked the track into the first field which was still a little fog covered and headed to the bottom edge . As we bobbed through the gateway there was the first CWD I had ever seen . She was sat down in the middle of the field an refused to move as we walked the hedgerow and couldn't present a shot . So we walked the other side of the hedge to see what happened . As we crossed the bottom of the stubble the farmer started spreading muck which didn't help . So we moved to the other side of the farm . We could see 2 deer in the next field but couldn't get straight to them without been seen so we boxed around the field to the opposite side and entered by a styal. About 200 yards away lying down was a nice doe . She knew we were there but didn't seem fazed so we headed along the boundary to get a little closer . At appox 100 yards away we waited it out .at this point I lay down in the snow with the 223 remy sitting in the bipod . Then she stood up turned broadside and Jason said he was happy for me to take the shot . I looked through the scope and slid the safety off . As I did this the damn thing hot footed it and the opportunity was lost . I dusted myself off and we moved around the field to where the other 2 had headed . The others that we saw were nestled in the undergrowth until one walked infront of us Jase put up the sticks and I rested the gun in the vee. But it saw us and ran off . There were no other opportunities the rest of the morning . We had drawn a blank . But it still didn't matter as it was a fantastic morning with plenty of deer on the ground . Think next time he should tie them down .lol Thanks again Jason see you next month .

Slightly late write up, but I have only just got chance....

Having managed to shoot Roe and Sika, in the first 6 months of holding my FAC I decided to attempt to add another species to my list and booked a Days stalking with Jason. I arrived full of optimism early on Sunday morning, and met Mick upon arrival. All pleasantries were exchanged and we headed off to the stalking ground, and within minutes as is so often the case it was clear that Mick and I shared many sporting interests. I had realised that regardless of If i got a deer or not, I was going to enjoy the day in good company.

We wandered through the first patch of woods, disturbing many woodpigeons from their overnight roost, as they made off into the mist, and seeing the occasional munty, that was on the move, none of which really presented an opportunity. We navigated around the corner of the wood to see a nice Doe standing broadside at about 60 yards, as I got onto the sticks she wandered off into the cover....

We then made out a shape through the mist that we knew was a deer in the open field, we closed abit of the ground, and Mick offered up the sticks for me to take rest..... whispering 'its 120 yards, are you ok with that?'

If I am honest I was confident with the distance but had never taking a shot from the sticks before. But my answer was clear, I felt the shot was on. I steadied myself knowing that my zero would leave the 243 round about an inch high at that distance. I steadied and took the shot. Before I had been able to realign my focus on the area that the beast was stood, I was congratulated by Mick with a tap on the shoulder, and a handshake. We made our way to the carcuss, and Mick's labrador, located it for us. Bullett placement was near perfect, I was elated.

We made our way back to jason's for a well earned brew, and photos! My afternoon stalk was not successful in the sense of anoth Munty in the bag, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, seeing over 30 Deer. I had set out my objective of gaining a little more knowledge about a further Deer species, and had been lucky enough to bag one in the process. I enjoyed meeting both of these chaps, and I can definatly say I will be back again.

Between my day with Jason and Mick, and writing this up, I have also been succesful in Shooting my first Red Deer, managing a Hind and Calf before the Scottish season closed. Unfortunatly Jason and Mick are fully booked up for CWD for this year, so I cant manage to add that to my list just yet.... finger crossed for a cancellation!!

Thanks once again guys

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

last chance of some stalking with us this season as we give the woods a rest from the 1st week in april till we start again in october.We do have a few availabilities for does to make up our cull so give us a call asap if you are interested.Prices on www.muntjacstalker.com

kind regards

Muntjacstalker

Hi, I would like to thank both Jason & Mike for a full morning of stalking last week. Mike & I saw lots of Muntjac in the morning, several real good bucks, If I was after a medal buck I could have had a couple. I hesitated on the Doe I wanted and the moment was gone, but mike was still enthusiastic and postive that another Doe would present itself. We ended up back at Jason after seeing around 25+ Muntjac, most of which seemed to be Bucks. Had a Stalk on a doe along way out in the open from Jasons but was to far out to shoot. I wanted my 1st shot to be a deer and thanks to there efforts I shot a buck from Jasons back garden, nearly used his garden table as a rest but was to heavy to move. Thanks again for the extra effort I so wanted to go home with a Deer & did. Want to come back for that Doe but have no freezer space, may worry about that if I get one. Ended up seeing over 30 Muntjac so even though its near the end there season there are still loads around. Thanks

Once again Stokeshooter and myself headed down to see Jase and Mick for another bash at the Munties

The only down side was the thick fog for the entire 3 hour journey

As always the kettle is on and brew in hand before day break

The fog was still bad so we waited a while to let it clear then headed out to another piece of ground a short drive away

Mick and myself headed off down the border of a field and into the first wood the visibility was about 30 yards so was almost pointless

We covered another 3 woods and only saw 3 deer which we spooked into running off as our silhouette emerged from the fog

After nearly 2 hours we drove back to the house to have a brew a wait for the lazy muntjac to get moving

We walked out into a large field behind the farm . A nice doe jumped out of the thick bushes about 300 yards infront so we had a slow stalk to get a bit closer . We chose to open up the bipod ready as it would have been a hell of a long shot from sticks . We got approx 150 yards away and was about to get down on the ground to take the shot as it turned and wandered back into the wood totall oblivious to us being there .

We continued then into the main woods and around all the pheasant pens where things looked a bitter promising as a few were moving around . We walked through the tracks that weave through the wood . About 130 yards out we spotted a young buck .We stalked little closer then Mick offered up the sticks and nodded . He checked through his glass and gave me the go ahead . I had been carrying my gun for that long my arms were shacking. I just took a few deep breaths to steady it out put the crosshairs on the heart on squeezed one off . Then the reassuring thud of the connecting round and it bowled straight over

Mick congratulated me on the shot and then we looked back the munty had stumbled back on its feet and moved behind a tree . As we moved slowly towards it to avoid startling it into bolting we looked for a blood trail . We then saw the carcass only 10 feet away .

It had run on adrenaline . I missed the heart but completely mashed the lungs and liver . Back then to the house for another brew to meet up with Kev and Jase to compare my buck with the 2 that Kev had shot . Thanks again to our expert guides for an amazing day out . See you next season

Back from my second outing with Jason this morning.

Following my trip up to Bedfordshire for my first Deer Stalk ever in january (which was also with Jason), I had a hankering for a re-visit.

Had such a good time the last time I was keen to get a stalk in before operations shut down in april (we've also run out of venison).

So following an early start I arrive at Chez Muntjacstalker bright and early at 6:15. Following a brief cuppa we took the short drive to one of Jasons stalking grounds. As we arrived and parked up all hell broke loose from the sheep in the field by the track, they thought we were bringing them breakfast! Luckily it didn't seem to spook the deer. We started skirting the edge of a wood, looking into the trees to try to spot any muntjac that might be lurking there - we didn't see any but as we came round the edge of the wood it opened into fields. Jason was in the lead, and i got the picture from his body language - he froze and stared intently round the corner of the tree. We we're after a Doe this morning and there was a Buck and Doe together about 50-60 metres away. Unfortunately by the time the rifle was on the sticks the doe had retreated into the wood, typically though the Buck seemed to know he was in no danger and stroled around presenting a perfect target for the next couple of minutes.

We eventually moved on through the wood but saw only a couple of deer bouncing away.

Out the other side of the wood and no MJ in sight but what a view! Open fields with an early summer sunrise, not too hot yet but you could tell the day was going to be a warm one.

After crossing a couple of fields we came to the wood on the other side, this was uneventful for a little while - lots of tense stalking but not catching sight of any deer. We then came to a ride throught the wood which was a moderately steep uphill. Thick wood to the left and a mix of scrub, brambles and a trees to the right. We expectantly crept up the ride mostly expecting to see deer on our left hand side, but when almost at the top of the hill I saw movement to my right. I turned to see a Muntjac slowly dissapear behind a patch of brambles. Jason and i spent a few minutes waiting for it to reappear then when it didn't we crept slowly firther along the track. Jason then spotted a Buck and Doe together. We spent an agonising few minutes (i'd guess about 5 but in the heat of it all it's a bit hard to tell), trying to get a clear shot at the doe. Everytime we'd move the sticks a couple of paces the MJ would walk behind a tree or bush so we'd move again only for the MJ to repeat the process. We saw that the general direction they seemed to be going in was uphill to the ride that skirted the wood, so jason said we should move there and try to get a shot if they left the wood.

Once on the ride, rifle back up on the sticks and we could now see the deer in the wood about 50-60 yards below us - more frustration as they were moving way too much to get a chance of a shot. While i was watching the wood Jason must have been glancing up the ride as well - as he alerted me to the fact that there was a MJ on the ride. I turned and it was **** end on about 60 yards away, quickly re-positioned sticks/rifle and into the aim. Jason said it's ok it's a Doe and the tension ratcheted up another notch for me. After what seemed like ages but was probably only a couple of seconds the MJ turned to the right and took a step back towards the wood, it paused a fraction of a second and bang - it was down. Quick handshake with jason (we waited a few minutes before approaching the deer), then we went up and inspected our prize. Jason once again did the dirty work with the Gralloch and then back to his place throught the beoautiful Bedfordshire countryside then off home.

As you can tell from the write-up, I'm once again well pleased. I plan to look up Jason again when the stalking starts again in october.