Tips for Partridge

Andy135

Safety, Safety and of course safety.

Walked up the birds will normally be in roots/ beet etc and shots will be low, going away.

Take care to watch the dogs and allow an extra second before you shoot to make sure everything is right - hold fire if in doubt.

Try and avoid Greys - we need them.

AND, enjoy it. Have a great day.

Hi Andy, I use a nice open choke with size 6, 30g for partridge. They get up very quickly, but don't rush your shots, let them get 25 to 30 yards away so the pattern has a chance to spread a bit ( otherwise you will miss more as the pattern will be narrow). Also partridge fly low this time of year so watch out for dogs in front.

Enjoy!

1/4 and 1/2 should be fine like said there quick so be ready .im on a walked up day tomorrow myself and will be using 7s 28gram find them great for patridges ,we will be after both french and english and before anyone pipes up with have plenty and will only take a few :yes:

Enjoy your day i love my patridge shooting :yes::good:

Thanks both - agree that the dogs in front require extra consideration. Slow & steady does it then.

Margun - thanks for the tip on choke size - I currently have 1/4 & 1/2 installed. Should I change this to 1/4 and Cylinder?

There is only so much that can be said, and I suspect that when you arrive and ask what everyone is shooting, chokes and carts, you will get a wide spread of responses!

Be safe, follow the pack, and enjoy!

...and yes, generally much better in December/January! :good:

I always find wild partridge a bit small in early september, that is first broods, second broods can be tiny. I would be very very selective.

Much better birds in a months time, but less likely to clamp down for walking up.

You are a very lucky man indeed to be shooting wild greys and even more so to be able to chose which months/broods to shoot.

Us mere mortals have to make do with those little Frenchmen.

About 20-25 years ago I was very lucky to have a few places for rough shooting and our staple gambird quarry was Grey Partridge, never shot many mind as they were very wild. Most of these farms had a covey to every other field, yet the farmers used to say that twenty years previous to that there would be two or three coveys in every field. So the decline was already set in by then although we still had plenty to go at, normally a brace or so would end up in a mixed bag of half a dozen head. Best we did was half a dozen and a few mallard from the dykes.

Don't tend to shoot them now although this season I may allow a couple of brace to be shot on my bit of a game shoot, we have four nice coveys (two well into the teens) on and around the 180 acres I try to keep a few pheasants on.

About 20-25 years ago I was very lucky to have a few places for rough shooting and our staple gambird quarry was Grey Partridge, never shot many mind as they were very wild. Most of these farms had a covey to every other field, yet the farmers used to say that twenty years previous to that there would be two or three coveys in every field. So the decline was already set in by then although we still had plenty to go at, normally a brace or so would end up in a mixed bag of half a dozen head. Best we did was half a dozen and a few mallard from the dykes.

Don't tend to shoot them now although this season I may allow a couple of brace to be shot on my bit of a game shoot, we have four nice coveys (two well into the teens) on and around the 180 acres I try to keep a few pheasants on.

The last wild covey we had here was about 25 years ago. About 40 years ago I remember, fondly, being invited up country to shoot, the sky was black with them. Absolutley fantastic, such a shame youngsters coming into our sport won't see the like.

depends where you are Charlie, we get to shoot some as well ours are doing very well. A good few years of clobbering foxes hard has really paid off we usually come winter have about 150 about on 500 acres split into a few coveys. Its very interesting the ground they like which is about half the farm so you know where they are and can leave them alone when needed. Very different to their French counterparts and hopefully we can keep looking after a shootable population. None have been released so all wild and just seem to be thriving.