Remington Sportsman Steel v Nitro Steel

ayano3

Nitro Steel v Sportsman  

11 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer

• Nitro Steel
    • Sportsman Steel

Has anyone ever compared the Remington Nitro against the Sportsman Steel of the same/similar load?

I know at Tackle & Game where I buy my cartridges, the price for the Nitro is £6 more (£27 - £21)than the Sportsman. I realise the Nitro is plated steel but has anyone actually used both and found one patterns better that the other or any other statistics that could lend itself to the additional cost per 25. This time I chose the Sportsman Steel in 3 1/2" 1 3/8oz #2, as yet I have not patterned them with my gun.

I will let you know my opinions on the Sportsman as soon as I have patterened them and used them.

I haven't patterned either, but i shot both on the marsh last season. While they both killed geese well, i found that the nitro killed a bit better at range. Not much to choose between the two, though.

Thanks for the reply Motty, I will take a guess you shoot on 'lynn' have you seen any geese yet? I see several Widgeon and a few Brent on 'Sheps' Sunday afternoon/night.

Thanks for the reply Motty, I will take a guess you shoot on 'lynn' have you seen any geese yet? I see several Widgeon and a few Brent on 'Sheps' Sunday afternoon/night.

I'm actually a member of the Fenland Wildfowlers. I too have seen plenty of wigeon and brent. I have also seen around 100 pinks on a morning flight yesterday.

<BUMP>

Has anyone ever compared the Remington Nitro against the Sportsman Steel of the same/similar load?

I know at Tackle & Game where I buy my cartridges, the price for the Nitro is £6 more (£27 - £21)than the Sportsman. I realise the Nitro is plated steel but has anyone actually used both and found one patterns better that the other or any other statistics that could lend itself to the additional cost per 25. This time I chose the Sportsman Steel in 3 1/2" 1 3/8oz #2, as yet I have not patterned them with my gun.

I will let you know my opinions on the Sportsman as soon as I have patterened them and used them.

Any luck here?

I have exactly the same question - both loads are equal and have same speed (1550 fps). Both have sealed crimps and primers - almost negating the benefit of zinc plated steel shot.

So... Is there any benefit to paying up to an extra tenner a box for the Nitro Steel?

Opinions rapidly wanted!

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks Motty, never been on Fenland but I know a lot of fellow Wildfowlers in the same club as me are also members of Fenland. If I am not mistaken I met your chairman quite a few years ago when I guided him out on what I believe was one of his first trips on the foreshore. Theres a story attached to this but I will leave that one :lol:

I have been informed a skein of geese come off sheps one morning this week but I didnt see or hear any on Wednesday night.

Jono, I wish I had the answer, I am checking out the Americans too so as soon as I get their version I will post it.

some guys findings ...................

12 GA 3" – REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD

1 1/4 OZ #3 STEEL 1,400 FPS

Aver 193

12 GA 3" – WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD

1 1/4 OZ #3 STEEL 1,400 FPS

Aver 195

12 GA 3" – REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL HIGH-VELOCITY MAGNUM LOAD

1 3/8 OZ #3 STEEL (ZINC COATED) 1,300 FPS

Aver 211

12 GA 3" – REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD

1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL 1,400 FPS

Aver 152

Nitro steel use zinc coated pellets ,have an accurate pellet count ,use alliant powder,dont use a filler with the shot and chrono pretty close to listed velocitys and pattern well,sportsman use non plated shot, have a erratic pellet count, use different powder,use an obscure filler with shot,are way slower than listed velocitys(3"1320fps, 3.5"1350-60fps)and pattern nowhere near as good.,plus shot size is limited too.

• 1 year later...

I am seeing some conflicting information here regarding MV speed of the 3 1/2 Remington cartridges. On the Sportsman Steel box it states 1550fps and on the Nitro Steel box it states 1300fps.

For all my pigeon and game shooting I use a 32gram lead cartridge with MV of 1450fps, and with the Sportsman Steel I do not have to make any adjustment to forward-allowance out to 50 yards; for me it's just a natural, carry on shooting as normal, because it better matches my other shotgun cartridges.

Now with the Nitro Steel at only 1300fps, I found I kept missing behind until I consciously made the effort to add extra forward-lead and when shooting at flighting widgeon or teal in the dusk, with that split moment of opportunity this was not-on, there was insufficient time to make the adjustment. So for me the Faster 1550fps Sportsman Steel gets my vote.

Footnote - I guess if a person normally uses a slower pigeon and game cartridge, then the slower nitro steel might be the better match?

Regards

not used them in 12g but in 10g the sportsman were sh#t they were so bad(birds hit but not killed) i pulled two full boxes apart for the shot and cases to reload them .The nitro steel are spot on even at a slower mv in 13/4oz shot size T they kill big canadas with ease and pettern well for lettered shot so for me nitro steel wins every time

I am seeing some conflicting information here regarding MV speed of the 3 1/2 Remington cartridges. On the Sportsman Steel box it states 1550fps and on the Nitro Steel box it states 1300fps.

For all my pigeon and game shooting I use a 32gram lead cartridge with MV of 1450fps, and with the Sportsman Steel I do not have to make any adjustment to forward-allowance out to 50 yards; for me it's just a natural, carry on shooting as normal, because it better matches my other shotgun cartridges.

Now with the Nitro Steel at only 1300fps, I found I kept missing behind until I consciously made the effort to add extra forward-lead and when shooting at flighting widgeon or teal in the dusk, with that split moment of opportunity this was not-on, there was insufficient time to make the adjustment. So for me the Faster 1550fps Sportsman Steel gets my vote.

Footnote - I guess if a person normally uses a slower pigeon and game cartridge, then the slower nitro steel might be the better match?

Regards

Maybe it's just me, but i have never tried to 'match' different shells to get something of a similar velocity. I just give birds the same amount of lead (lead or steel) and thet does the job normally.

I am going to probably get nitro steel posted to me as I don't think anyone local stocks it. Now by the sounds of it, it's expensive. How much should I be looking to pay for a box of 25?

================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Current prices, August 2013, at my local dealer for a box of 25, 12 bore 3 1/2 inch Remington: Nitro Steel £29.60 and Sportsman Steel £19.59.

Just picking up on some of the comments and experiences of other's using these Remington steel cartridges.

Most shotguns will usually pattern differently with different cartridges; forcing cones, barrel length, chokes, MV speed of the cartridge and wad-type all contribute to this and it does take time and experimenting to find a "best" match.

So, my experience and related findings are only with the 12 bore 3 1/2 inch cartridges in my two SA. I load the Winchester SX2 30inch barrel with the No2 for Duck and the 28 inch Browning Gold Hunter with the BB for Geese. The Winchester has a 3/8 Teague choke and the Browning a 1/4 Teague choke. I have witnesses that attest these Sportsman cartridges give clean kills out to 50 yards.

The different MV speed of the two cartridges, 1550fps and 1300fps (approx. 83 yards per second) I find significant with crossing birds and relates to about 3 feet difference in forward allowance at 50 yards; using same size shot. With going away and incoming birds it is far less significant.

You pays your money and makes your choice!

Question Please. Has anyone here used the latest Eley Lightning Steel at MV 1650fps? My local dealer does not stock this.

Regards