.223 bullet weight

Hey guys. I'm developing a load for my .223 and I'm not happy with the bullets I've tried so far. I want to go heavier but I'm not sure how far I can push it?

I have a Browning A-Bolt, so 1-12 twist I think. I've tried 50gr Blitzkings which the gun didn't like that much, and 40gr V-Max which I don't like much because they seem to drift a lot in the wind.

I'd like to try the Sierra Varminter 60gr HP as I think they'd be better for range use and also ok for Fox. Are they too heavy for a 1-12? Borderline perhaps? Or even fine?

I have considered A-Max but I want to try something cheaper - I'm as tight as it gets when I feed my bunny rifles and I waste a lot of ammo at the range! :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks for the advice. It seems 50-55gr is as high as you've all suggested I go. Is that because anything heavier doesn't handle well with a slow twist or because you like to keep the trajectory as flat as possible?

55gr is a good step up from what I've got now. Hopefully it will help with the windage a bit because the 40's, well they wander all over the place! I was shooting at the range yesterday and my 7-08 was drifting about an inch over 200 yards - the .223 was three or four. I know I can't make the .223 shoot like the 7-08, but a bit less drifty would be good! I don't mind drop as I find it easy enough to range things. Wind baffles me though! :blush:

Well I dropped in to see my RFD and get some. He didn't have Sierra Varminters but he did have Bergers in 55gr so I got those as I want to get on with trying them.

If they work then I'm happy. If not I guess I'll have to make an order for the suggested bullets from the states and wait for them to arrive. It's a long drive to most RFD's around here and I couldn't stand the thought of going home empty handed. Should have phoned first! :blush:

Hopefully it will help with the windage a bit because the 40's, well they wander all over the place! I was shooting at the range yesterday and my 7-08 was drifting about an inch over 200 yards - the .223 was three or four.

Unless you regularly shoot in that sort of wind you can more or less forget any results from yesterday.

Those 52grn A max's one holed at 50 but were blowing off and inch or 2 at 100 yards, depending on the gusts.

I was messing about plinking with the .22 and was aiming up the right hand side of stuff just to hit it :blink:

That range certainly does test you at times. Yesterday was nothing - last time I was there it was that windy I thought my gun was going to blow away!

I just found the 40's winded more than I'm used to. I don't mind an inch or so but not three. That's excessive. When you're out on a rough night it's one less thing to worry about if you know you don't have to worry too much about anything other than range and the backstop.

Strangely, I've just been on the Berger website and they list all their bullets up to 64gr as suitable for a 1-12. They must be short for weight as everywhere else I've looked suggests that 55gr is about the heaviest I should go? 60 as an absolute maximum depending on the gun?

So how come Berger (who should know) say that 1-12 will handle up to 64gr? I'm confused! :hmm: