hornet load

has anyone on here ever tried the barnes varmint grenade through there .22 hornet? just trying to think of a good rabbit round for use with the lamp that doesnt ricochet.

Hi,

Having been tipped the wink that it was on the cards, I've just banged in for a second Hornet - one or the other will be a dedicated NV sight. I have a "sticky" on the bottom of my PC screen with the VG details. Somewhat chaotic at the moment and won't do much about it until (and if) the other rifle arrives. Consequently, if you do have a play, could you, kindly, keep us in the picture?

Cheers,

Phil

It has a very poor BC and it is only called Grenade becuase non toxic ricochet like crazy. it might be better than norm non toxic but why bother with Lead hornet bullets being designed so frangible. I cannot see it being any better than a 35 v-max and if your looking for a hard to shoot well at range light frangible bullet i should look there first.

Can't say i find the hornet bad for ricochets with bullets going up to 45 grns and speeds approching the high 2's. Good luck if you have already bought the heads and let us know how you go on though

No round doesn't ricochet BTW :good:

Edited by kent

I often wonder about the knowledge that anyone has whose sole contribution to a discussion is to state the obvious. Exacerbated by an opinion that if a rifle does not suit one particular make of ammunition, it's better to change the rifle to suit that ammunition rather than trying various rounds beforehand.

Edit: PS The BC (as advertised) for the VG is 0.101 and a vastly improved (!?) 0.109 for the V Max 35

Edited by wymberley

it was only a thought that came to me the other night when i was out lamping, it was blowing fairly strong winds so i took my .223 over the .22lr and it seemed a bit much as the rabbits were no further away than 70 yards, but i would have been struggling with the .22 due to the wind and i thought that a hornet would be ideal. maybe i should stop thinking :lol: . i would just like another rifle.

I've never used the Varmint Grenade in a Hornet but I can vouch for the 35gr V-Max being extremely unlikely to ricochet. I've shot a couple of thousand of those and have had perhaps twenty that haven't broken up even on quite flat ground.

I'm looking at the Speer 40gr SP for my Hornet. As kent mentioned the light bullets do suffer in wind so a compromise between light and accurate is what you want. I'm using 33gr Speer TNT at the moment and they drift around like feathers in the wind! I'm using them at under 150 yards just to use them up!

it was only a thought that came to me the other night when i was out lamping, it was blowing fairly strong winds so i took my .223 over the .22lr and it seemed a bit much as the rabbits were no further away than 70 yards, but i would have been struggling with the .22 due to the wind and i thought that a hornet would be ideal. maybe i should stop thinking :lol: . i would just like another rifle.

The hornet will do this perfectly - i do it myself with 45's ( wind is a major issue up here 35's are little use to me), its also handy for crows and a better long range bunny gun than a HMR IF you use the better BC stuff 35 v-max and the like don't give much gain over a Hummer . Forget loading down a .222 or .223 the Hornet can achieve 2800 with only 11 grns and a full case, lower presure with little gun and moderates a dream if you put a good moddy on it

Hardy ever seen a post anywhere that says VGs are good highly accurate bullets. Seen lots saying muzzle velocity is high, accuracy is not good and retained energy on target is less than good. Use 40 or 45 grain Sierra bullets that are designed for Hornet. Friend here tried VGs in his 22.250AI, velocity over 4000 fps but accuracy and energy on target was far worse than lead Berger's he usually uses. I see no benefit at all in using them,, accuracy is where its at not velocity.

A

Edited by Alycidon

What moderator would you recommend for a hornet?

Have a look at MAE which are sold by JMS Arms. I use the 22WMSTS - nothing to do with me, my RFD chose it for me - but it's well made and does the job very well. Going for another Hornet which I'm going to push a bit and although undecided at present, am eyeing the 224STS.

I use a T12 SCout MAE from JMS arms. As good a sound reduction as the T8 maybee better and way smaller and lighter stainless built with a matt/satin black finish. No noise audible other than sonic crack and the impact (fire it into a soft baground at 8ft or so and no crack develops, you just get "thump" as the bullet strikes) :good:

I use a T12 SCout MAE from JMS arms. As good a sound reduction as the T8 maybee better and way smaller and lighter stainless built with a matt/satin black finish. No noise audible other than sonic crack and the impact (fire it into a soft baground at 8ft or so and no crack develops, you just get "thump" as the bullet strikes) :good:

£310 bit steep, looks quality though and a slimmer profile than others.

£310 bit steep, looks quality though and a slimmer profile than others.

It is but it's also very well made, there are a lot of cheap c/fire mods about presently but i recon i will get a good few years out of it. I also have a spare bush and plan to have it sized to suit my .243" when i get round to re-barreling it. £165 for a moderator for each gun sounds ok don't it? I nearly bought a titanium one but was told so many bad things about the guy who does them i knocked it on the head, it correlated to my phone conversation with him. Spoke to JMS and Third eye they were both spot on, third eye even said i could come down and try one on my gun.

MAE have been making moderators for around 40yrs now so i guess they know what they are about :hmm:

Julian at JMS said put a mini T on it as one of his clients had been fitting them to .223 rem for clients by mistake (they are a HMR moddy realy) the customers liked them so much there was a bit of a waiting list forming. These are cheaper and lighter but i wanted the very most performance as it (quietness) was a primary reason for buying the Hornet and wanted the two guns one moddy thing. one moderator and two guns works quite well as i can store the moderator and its harmfull internal muck in a sepparate safe (i dont think constant dismantling does them any good)

Edited by kent

You pays your money and takes your choice. You have to decide whether or not you want the equivalent of a half a pound bar of chocolate extra hanging on the end of the barrel and how many rounds/what percentage of a complete loading kit could £135 get you. Take the point about switching it about, but if you have nowt to switch to, then really it's a waste of money in my view.

hiya,am i the only one about that think,s mod,s are seriously,ridiculously,serously,over priced,they must be laughing all the way to the bank,at us mug,s who pay such stupid prices,they are,nt al made by deben are they,just curious as to how they work out their priceing on these thing,s,i have,nt noticed any gold and diamond,s on any of mine,just the usual,sst or alloy,i know they do make a dif,but christ,prices are bliddy silly,just a thought,i run a ruger77/22 hornet,cracking little toy,mainly feeding her 35g v max over 12.5 of little gun,and small rirfle primer,s,cci,just gave her a good clean out yesterday,hopeing to get out the day,bliddy rain,ah well,catch you later,cheer,s,ian

hiya,am i the only one about that think,s mod,s are seriously,ridiculously,serously,over priced,they must be laughing all the way to the bank,at us mug,s who pay such stupid prices,they are,nt al made by deben are they,just curious as to how they work out their priceing on these thing,s,i have,nt noticed any gold and diamond,s on any of mine,just the usual,sst or alloy,i know they do make a dif,but christ,prices are bliddy silly,just a thought,i run a ruger77/22 hornet,cracking little toy,mainly feeding her 35g v max over 12.5 of little gun,and small rirfle primer,s,cci,just gave her a good clean out yesterday,hopeing to get out the day,bliddy rain,ah well,catch you later,cheer,s,ian

:stupid:

It seems that if it's for shooting, fishing or golf (so I'm told) then up goes the profit margin. It's particularly noticeable on items which also have domestic or industrial applications.

Although in reality it's just an excuse, the manufacturers/retailers will give development costs and relatively low production runs as the reason for the price.

Cheers

PS Swap the 35 V Max for 45 Speer SP, same load configuration, and it stops being a toy. No wind and if the mist clears will be off to do an accuracy check on various configurations (charge weight) shortly.

Origonally an Engineer by trade, i actually feel the worst Value for money if from some of the cheap aliminum jobbies you see so much of these days. Unfortunatly many look to price as an idicator of value, yet the two things are quite sepparate on many occasions at both ends of the spectrum.

x2 on the heavier hornet bullets. 35's offer nothing down range that interests me most slower 45's and the like can sacrifice quite a lot in muzzle velocity and still beat the lighter stuff on drop and wind to significant amounts

yep that,s about right lad,s,anything to do with sport.hobbies,is just priced,from the joke manual,golf,fishing,shooting,all of which i do,biggest culprit is deben,ferret finder,s.lamp,s,etc,cant work out why prices go sky high in a recession,instead of down,cant get my head around the mentality of sales peep,s,they cant sell the gear,ah well,

any way back on topic,kent,can you pm me the info on your load,s for the heavier head,s,ie oal,etc,would like to try em,allso can you do the same for me wymberly,will drop you both a pm,sure ive got some heavier head,s,but they are too long for the case,s to get oal i need,may have to drop the gharge a fair bit to make room,will have a check what i have,and catch you later,be interesting to see your test result,s,wymberly,well of to the market,another rip has apeared in my rucksack,bliddy barb wire,no wonder i keep loseing bit,s,catch you all later,atb,,ian