Which breed?

Lewis F

Hi lads, After visiting the vets with my springer who has enlarged heart, you may of known this if you have seen my last topic. She will not be able to work any more and has basically become a pet.

My question is this- I'm not rushing into anything and I am taking the time to look about for the right pup/ breed for me.

I have for sometime now been looking at cocker spaniels very much like the look of these little nippers! If i get another spaniel it will hopefully be used for trialling. The lines I have been looking are Rytex and Buccleugh I am willing to travel, if anybody knows of any good lines out there please suggest them to me! :good:

But then there's the other side iv'e been turning to and that's lurcher's as I do a lot of ferreting a dog like that could become of some use! Having never owned one I do not know what to expect, there are a few that have taken my fancy for example Saluki x Greyhound x Whippet and Saluki x Collie x Whippet x Greyhound.

If anyone would like to make some suggestions please do!

Thanks a lot

Lewis

best advice -- make your mind up first , actually what you want from a dog , before you start to look at breeds/types

i may be wrong but i dont think Dave lisset (Buccleugh) does/breeds cockers , but of course Ian openshaw definately does and i,ve seen them work brilliantly in his hands.

Edited by darren m

Agreed ,first of all you need to make your mind up as a lurcher is no good for trialing and a cocker wont catch many / any rabbits !.

I think you also need to be certain that trialing is the route your def going to go down if you get a cocker as you could waste a lot of time and money looking for a dog that will suit ,which will not be time and money well spent if you only want a hide / peg dog or want to do a bit of picking up etc.

best advice -- make your mind up first , actually what you want from a dog , before you start to look at breeds/types

i may be wrong but i dont think Dave lisset (Buccleugh) does/breeds cockers , but of course Ian openshaw definately does and i,ve seen them work brilliantly in his hands.

Thank you for you reply! On David's website he has a page cocker puppies for sale at the moment there are none available.

Agreed ,first of all you need to make your mind up as a lurcher is no good for trialing and a cocker wont catch many / any rabbits !.

I think you also need to be certain that trialing is the route your def going to go down if you get a cocker as you could waste a lot of time and money looking for a dog that will suit ,which will not be time and money well spent if you only want a hide / peg dog or want to do a bit of picking up etc.

I do totally agree with what your saying! If I get a spaniel Cocker/Springer it will be used for trialling and nothing else! like not coming ferreting etc. Should stated that in my first post! sorry about that! If I get a lurcher obviously its main job will be ferreting/lamping I just need to make the decision of what I would like to get!

Thank you for your advice!

Google marshwood gundogs thats where mine came from the breeder Ron Loomes is / was a field trial judge so should be able to put you right if you want a cocker.

My old cocker came from ron my dad used to get all his pups from him nice chap to boot :good: :good:

Forget that lurcher breeding, get a straight 1/4 collie Greyhound or lightly built first cross collie greyhound. Try Hancock he has been at it for years. Dashes of this and that just make pups unpredictable - AND I PERSONALLY HATE SALUKI CROSSES even as a greyhound x Saluki longdog

A quater bred lurcher a cocker and some ferrets could be sport on steroids :good: . Collie crosses realy are the best for ferrets and lamping biddable and cunning

:good: and consider all the time and cost commitments associated with trialling; joining clubs, getting runs, travelling to get runs, travelling to training ground so you are not wasting time when you do get a run, getting the dog shot over, getting the dog experience on ground and winged game... and the list goes on.

No offence meant but if you are undecided whether you want a dog to trial or a lurcher you need to have a re-think.

:good: and consider all the time and cost commitments associated with trialling; joining clubs, getting runs, travelling to get runs, travelling to training ground so you are not wasting time when you do get a run, getting the dog shot over, getting the dog experience on ground and winged game... and the list goes on.

No offence meant but if you are undecided whether you want a dog to trial or a lurcher you need to have a re-think.

& you might go through 1/2 a dozen dogs before you get one that YOU are good enough to trial.

Edited by PERCE

Thank you for your reply! I get exactly what your saying. No offence taken!

Lewis

Damm was a Whippet, Sire was Whippet X Deerhound/Greyhound, makes her 3/4 Whippet 1/8 each Greyhound and Deerhound.

Had her out with the .410, she is also retreiving dummies to hand. Got her mainly for ferreting, hopefully she will make a good all round companion when out in the fields.