Thick or thin tyres for muddy off roading ??

xX Hunter UK Xx

Thin tyres are the best, as has been said they cut down through the sloppy stuff to get a grip, big wide tyres look good but can slip around on top of the muck, I have done a fair bit of offroading and have had to winch a lot of people out who had big wide tyres on.

Live and work on a farm...

first go around the wet mud holes where ever possible.

On the tractors we always go for the tallest and widest possible tyres. but we are trying to tread softly softly, I normally run about 16psi for cultivation.

On a 4x4 it probably depends on the conditions you normally go in.

The bf goodrich mud terrians are suppose to some of the best tyres. Not so good on the road however...

Tractors and similar vehicles have wide tyres for one reason = low ground pressure, to float over the surface.

Conversly, narrow tyres with a stiff sidewall concentrate the weight and help to cut through down to firmer ground under the mud/snow.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Definately thin tyres for grip in snow and surface mud but for running on top of ground wider tyres are better and make less mess. The new farm Defender we have will go more places on 235/85r16 Good Year MTR's than the Terrano that it replaced would on 265/75r16 BFG AT's (and yes I know the Terrano was a hideous bag of bolts with built to fail componants when shown hard work......)

I work for a Electricity Supplier and we use BFG Mud Terrain on our Defender 130's. Good all round tyre for off and on road, we run the Rovers fully loaded to 3500kgs. The BFG All Terrain we used for a while were not as good as the Mud Terrain. The tread was soon full of mud and it was then like running on slicks, they were not good in the wet on the roads neither.

When we went on out 4x4 refreshers at Manby Airfield the off road training vehicles there all had narrow tyres.

It depends what you are going to be doing, but a good rule is 'if the farmer has not been on the field then you shouldn't be'

I work for a Electricity Supplier and we use BFG Mud Terrain on our Defender 130's. Good all round tyre for off and on road, we run the Rovers fully loaded to 3500kgs. The BFG All Terrain we used for a while were not as good as the Mud Terrain. The tread was soon full of mud and it was then like running on slicks, they were not good in the wet on the roads neither.

When we went on out 4x4 refreshers at Manby Airfield the off road training vehicles there all had narrow tyres.

It depends what you are going to be doing, but a good rule is 'if the farmer has not been on the field then you shouldn't be'

Thats a very good mantra to stick by but we sometimes don't have a choice other than to run into wet fields unsuitable for vehicles when it comes to checking on bird bangers and setting up banger ropes on a daily basis during the winter so best not to take it as a clear indication all the time

Thin tyres with lots of sips for snow. Mud tyres are worse than all terrains on snow covered road.In mud it depends on what is under the wet stuff. thin ones will cut through the gloopy stuff but if said gloop is deeper than your ground clearance you'll belly out and leave deep ruts= unhappy farmer. wide tyres may not give you the best ultimate traction but will lower your ground pressure so less likely to leave ruts. If you are driving around fields, My advice would be wide, all terrains and if you think it's wet enough to get stuck, you'll make a mess so don't go there.

I might be wrong but I was always lead to believe air pressure was as important as width ( motox background) if you only had one set of wheels I would say go for wide ones and in mud lower the pressure and for road simply increase it :good:

Edited by mad1

Thats a very good mantra to stick by but we sometimes don't have a choice other than to run into wet fields unsuitable for vehicles when it comes to checking on bird bangers and setting up banger ropes on a daily basis during the winter so best not to take it as a clear indication all the time

Yes there are times we have to go into fields to do pole changes and repair wires, but if we can carry out the work without crop and land damage we do.

Thin tyres with lots of sips for snow. Mud tyres are worse than all terrains on snow covered road.In mud it depends on what is under the wet stuff. thin ones will cut through the gloopy stuff but if said gloop is deeper than your ground clearance you'll belly out and leave deep ruts= unhappy farmer. wide tyres may not give you the best ultimate traction but will lower your ground pressure so less likely to leave ruts. If you are driving around fields, My advice would be wide, all terrains and if you think it's wet enough to get stuck, you'll make a mess so don't go there.

Not entirely true from what i have found, i had nexen all terrain tyres which were pretty good but when they wore out i replaced them with insa turbo special tracks as i tend to do alot of driving on muddy tracks and any road miles i do is about 5 miles each way to drop my daughter at school. I have found special tracks to be very good in snow because of the centre lugs give quite abit of surface area and the diagonal lugs down the side help too even on compacted snow, on ice they are the same as most other tyres and lose traction but then the snow chains come out to give bite on ice.

Not entirely true from what i have found, i had nexen all terrain tyres which were pretty good but when they wore out i replaced them with insa turbo special tracks as i tend to do alot of driving on muddy tracks and any road miles i do is about 5 miles each way to drop my daughter at school. I have found special tracks to be very good in snow because of the centre lugs give quite abit of surface area and the diagonal lugs down the side help too even on compacted snow, on ice they are the same as most other tyres and lose traction but then the snow chains come out to give bite on ice.

Got to agree with the above, I have insa turbo saharas on my defender and last years bad snow didnt make my driving any worse. My defeder would happily drive on any surface that you would normally encounter either on road or off with ease. They were bought second hand for £180 for a set of 4 including compomotive alloys and have now covered 20,000 miles and will still last this winter before they need changing. :good: