Best 22 LR Sub HP rounds

coneyhunter

Here here for the eleys, and afaik no yellow jackets are not subs.

IMO if you plan on using super sonic rounds alot then get a HMR, at least you get flatter trajectory and less recois for the same noise!

Agreed. Hi-V .22 rounds are noisier than HMR because the wider cross section generates a greater pressure wave and a louder sonic crack. Horrible things in comparison and energy and accuracy tail off rapidy past 100 yds.

Stick with whichever subs shoot best in your rifle, regardless of what other people think of them, for silent sub-100 yd shooting and use HMR for everything else out to 150 yds. Or a Hornet - nod to the happy band of PW Hornet fanciers.

Edited by Gimlet

I used Rem HP Yellow jackets in my CZ .22lr for a while and found them to be about the best HIGH VELOCITY round out there, 1500 ft sec and about 32/33g I seem to remember.

But I thought this was about subs, do they do a Yellow Jacket sub?

sorry if that post was a little bit lacking in detail, i found that friends were buying 22s and not useing them much after experiencing the trajectory of most subsonic ammo, i always steered them towards hvs especially the light and high impact remington yellow jacket, it shoots pretty flat and hits hard, it was the nearest thing to a 17hmr before the hmr was developed. subs are alright if you can be bothered estimateing range and drop every shot, i couldnt and didnt want to so used the quickest lightest bullet i could find and had more bunnies for it

subsonics have thier uses for some people, i never found the need for them, i would rather have the accuracy and impact of the yellowjacket, people tend to think that an hv .22 makes more noise and disturbs the bunnies more and unless you try its an easy assumption to make, i was a single handed keeper when i was 20 and very often spent the whole of my monthly wage on a chainsaw or a rifle or a landrover or something else that the tight **** in the syndicate wouldnt buy, leaving me with nothing but rabbit money for the rest of the month, i once shot 49 bunnies all head shot for the butcher with a box of yellowjackets

i couldnt have done it with any brand of subsonics and will be forever grateful to remington for keeping me from starving after i had spent my wages on a brno .222 :lol:

subsonics have thier uses for some people, i never found the need for them, i would rather have the accuracy and impact of the yellowjacket, people tend to think that an hv .22 makes more noise ( :hmm: it does :yes: ) and disturbs the bunnies more and unless you try its an easy assumption to make, i was a single handed keeper when i was 20 and very often spent the whole of my monthly wage on a chainsaw or a rifle or a landrover or something else that the tight **** in the syndicate wouldnt buy, leaving me with nothing but rabbit money for the rest of the month, i once shot 49 bunnies all head shot for the butcher with a box of yellowjackets

i couldnt have done it with any brand of subsonics and will be forever grateful to remington for keeping me from starving after i had spent my wages on a brno .222 :lol:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

For whatever reason we seem to have had completely opposite experiences!

The High Velocity HP Yellow Jackets I used were about as good as I could find in HV for the .22lr (which simply isn't suited for HV shooting with commonly a 1-16twist). And a sub, even at 100 yards, has FAR more impact than you will ever need head shooting rabbits! :hmm::yes:

I have never found a HV to be as accurate as a Sub in .22lr, even if you pushed the distance out to 100yards I could always get tighter groups with the Subs. And the HV are much louder with or without a mod, and bunnies learn! :yes:

ATB! :good::good:

Edited by Dekers

+ one for Remington subs, :good: lucky for me as I get them for under £6/100. I tried other subs but find Remmies accurate despite cheap looking packaging. I use my CZ american for lamping bunnies and target shooting at the local rifle club. Just try anything you can get hold of reliably, then test thoroughly. I would allow 10/20 rounds between different brands to 'clean' barrel then test off a steady rest.

Worked for me :) Cheers.

subsonics have thier uses for some people, i never found the need for them, i would rather have the accuracy and impact of the yellowjacket, people tend to think that an hv .22 makes more noise and disturbs the bunnies more and unless you try its an easy assumption to make, i was a single handed keeper when i was 20 and very often spent the whole of my monthly wage on a chainsaw or a rifle or a landrover or something else that the tight **** in the syndicate wouldnt buy, leaving me with nothing but rabbit money for the rest of the month, i once shot 49 bunnies all head shot for the butcher with a box of yellowjackets

I once killed over 12,000 bunnies in one year without a single High Velocity round - I have never

felt the need to use HV in my .22. Don't get me wrong I have experimented with ammo but the .22

subsonic kills perfectly well enough - at the end of the day you can't get deader than dead.

I once killed over 12,000 bunnies in one year without a single High Velocity round - I have never

felt the need to use HV in my .22. Don't get me wrong I have experimented with ammo but the .22

subsonic kills perfectly well enough - at the end of the day you can't get deader than dead.

Can you fill in some more detail, that is 33 bunnies EVERY SINGLE DAY of the year, without a day off anywhere, I'm happy to get a 33 bunny single day!

Put simply how did you manage to find that many.

I keep accurate records as I need answers for my landowners and I have never had a year close to 12,000, and the VAST majority of people will never get anywhere near to that in a lifetime!

:good::good:

Check the zero key on your keyboard, I think its sticking.

Can you fill in some more detail, that is 33 bunnies EVERY SINGLE DAY of the year, without a day off anywhere, I'm happy to get a 33 bunny single day!

Put simply how did you manage to find that many.

I keep accurate records as I need answers for my landowners and I have never had a year close to 12,000, and the VAST majority of people will never get anywhere near to that in a lifetime!

:good::good:

I was fully employed for a year as a Rabbit trapper in South Lanarkshire and the estate was made

up of 12 tenanted farms which were a mix of arable, grass and heather - the ground was a huge basin

and was overun with rabbits, previously I shot about 1,000 rabbits a year and was very happy

with that - but this place was something else. In actual fact I didn't shoot them all I used

various different methods but the .22 was my main tool, drop boxes, 12g, ferrets I even ran them

over in my 4 x 4 when I could. To give you an example of how overun this place was - when I

first started I drove around with the boundary map and my .22 - I drove into a large field at

approx lunch time and parked up - I then started shooting the bunnies in this field which seemed

not to be bothered that I was there - an hour later I left that field with over 100 bunnies and

a grin on my face. In the end I got a bit fed up with killing rabbits and it is fair to say that

they have never come back in such numbers in that area as I have been back a few times for a look.

I used to take my rabbits to a Game dealer at Moffat and I said to him that I must be his best

customer and he said nope the Buccleugh estate bring in 30,000 rabbits a year - jesus.

Check the zero key on your keyboard, I think its sticking.

Nothing wrong my keyboard mate!