Update on Jack..........

the_commoner

Jack is about 4 1/2 months old now and doing well, basics are getting covered and he is nice a keen on the retrieve i give him around 3 a day during a 10 - 15 minute training session every evening, he's very lively and is keeeping me and my cocker on our toes ............his recall is good, got him walking well on the lead, he's been good with the hens and cat, managed to stop him chasing them fairly quickly, now he is just inquisitive.

housetraing has gone ok, have a few accidents still but they are my fault most of the time and he is quiet at night and in the kennel

Image0005-1.jpg

Image0037.jpg

at 10 weeks old jack went on his first lamping trip, riding shotgun in the back of the landrover as we lamped rabbits around one of my permissions, i was using my .22LR so no worries about any noise, ended up shooting quite a few that night and the rabbits were piled up in the back against the crate so he got up close and personal to a few dead bunnies !

Image0001-1.jpg

at about 12 weeks he came pigeon shooting with me for a few hours, obviously i left him in the landy which was parked well away from where i was shooting so again no problems with the gun shot being too loud, hopefully though it will have got him accustomed a little to the noise even if it was distant.

Image0017.jpg

done a little bit of retrieving but nothing serious, the 3 vids are of him picking a retrieve from across a small brook. (click on the pics below to see the vids)

th_Video0002.jpg

th_Video0001.jpg

th_Video0003.jpg

getting plenty of different experiences for him at the moment which is good, he spent the day on saturday with me and the gamekeeper on a new shoot, let him out towards the end of the day for a run and sniff around the woods where the release pens had been, again just to get him accustomed to the sight smells and sounds

the lad is growing up fast now and is starting to get his head so to speak, i have just started on a little bit more steadiness training to try and settle him, which again he is doing well at, he seems a very bright lad and picks up what he is supposed to do very quickly, extremely biddable with a lovely temprament.

Image0039.jpg

Image0084.jpg

i am sure the hardest bit is yet to come because he is still very young but its all going well so far :good:

Lovely looking dog, I am with you on getting him used to as much as possible early in his life.

A wee word of caution if I may, just be careful not to push him too much too young as far as training is concerned.

i know what your saying wgd, don't worry he's not getting pushed, i shoot over my cocker and will do for a while yet, if i can have him ready for the start of the 2014 game season i will be chuffed, he will be 2 1/2 by then, no rush

thanks for the comments guys

ps - had his first swim tonight !!!!

Cracking pup good luck to the furture,did you no the blood line before you bought it :good:

yes, i did some research on the lines once i had the pedigree but before i bought him, he was bought off madspringer a member on here.

fingers crossed he will turn out ok, there is obviously a lot of discussion on which lines are good / bad......

yes, i did some research on the lines once i had the pedigree but before i bought him, he was bought off madspringer a member on here.

fingers crossed he will turn out ok, there is obviously a lot of discussion on which lines are good / bad......

You no when you see the parents if the dog is going to be ok

he's looking good mate , what you feeding him on .

i called his sister Ruby in the end , shes doing ok , confidence is building , sit , stay and recall coming along

she absoloutly hates the lead :lol: though , but theres plenty of time yet.

was out with madspringer beating at weekend , with the mum jaz and the sister (3 legged one) gyp , brilliant dogs , i,m only hoping some of that as rubbed off on ruby ...