This morning effort - Munty

spaniels

Well I'm not one to post often, but after my stalk this morning being such a nice morning to be out and a good result thought I would. I also remembered to take a picture for once!

Left the house at first light walked across the paddocks in front of the house across the lane into the field of potatoes which is surrounded by maize. Wind not quite in the right direction but thought I would make sure nothing about in the arable fields before dropping down into the valley. Stalked along side the maize looking across the potatoes when I noticed a munty. Couldn't take a shot no safe back drop. Had to stalk along side maize until he had dropped down to the edge of a woodland. Got down onto the bi-pod and waited till he presented a safe shot. He took an age to turn side on, which then made the heart pound harder, took my breath put the cross hairs behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The .243 barked and Munty jumped and ran like stink for the wood on the edge of the valley and disappeared into the wood. First thought I had missed him, but like most people I replayed the shot in my mind and knew the shot was good. Decided to leave the Munty for awhile as I didn't want him to run further into the wood as it's quite thick. Walked back to the house, 5min away and got a couple of my spaniels who I know would be helpful in the search, jumped into the truck. Headed around the lane into the valley bottom below the wood. Got the girls out and stalked through the wood and out into the field of potatoes well back from where the Munty was when I fired. Couldn't find any blood around where he was standing. Walked back to the wood where I thought the Munty had entered and saw blood on the nettles, quite a lot of blood in fact which was a relief. The girls picked up the scent from the bloody and wanted to charge into the under growth. By the amount the blood knew it wasn't going to be far. Let the girls hunt very slowly in front and one found the Munty no less than 20 yard inside the wood to great relief. In fact she was trying to retrieve it!

So all round a great morning and I have a spaniels who will find shot deer which can be only be a good thing!

The girls and there prize! :good:

post-12846-0-33296400-1318587628.jpg

• 2 weeks later...