tomatoes

holly

still getting plenty of toms looks like there wont be any green tom chutney in this household :o

hows everyone elses crops done this year i stuck to one variety (sungold) in the greenhouse , outside i planted 4 hanging baskets with a variety call (arctic plenty) thinking in the name arctic (should be good for colder areas ) plenty (should get loads ) how wrong, ended up pulling and binning without seeing one tom

post-14152-0-36640200-1318750446.jpg

The best plant that I've had for bulk is a self sown one on the compost heap. The plum tomatoes were out of this world for flavour but there werent many of them. I had some tired looking plants from an old girl down the road and the theory was that I'd plant out two in each planter (only suitable for 1) and then remove whichever looked the weaker after a few weeks. There was nothing in it for ages so against better judgement I let nature take its course with predictable consequences.

Too much competition for light.

I reckon my problem has been the same as ack-acks too much competition for light, and, the plum tomatoes were small and quantity down.

As usual money maker made up for both except in flavour. My sungold were good flavour but small - Whhats the best formula guys and I'll try it next year. P.S. I have a 12'*8' greenhouse and do cucmbers and melons as well as peppers?

I tried a few different ones this year and all were pretty poor, Red Pears were ok, now got 6 jars of green chutney and 8 of red so not all lost! Next year I will stick to Sungolds in the greenhouse, anyone found a good 'un for outside?

Tigerella were nice taste but struggled as all were outside, maybe try a couple inside? Got a couple of pounds ripe ones left, has anyone tried pickling their toms? :blink:

we too have had bumper crops with sungold, first time growing this variety, but wont be the last, really sweet, the poly tunnel just exploded with fruit, along with some plums types too, a few outside that were overspill from the polytunnel, plus have around 10 ??? self sown from last year pop up next to the potatoe patch, yup, its been good here too :good:

Had mostly Gardener's Delight, 6 plants in green house and 6 outside, also had a few sungold.

It seemed to be a good crop this year but mine seemed to ripen late, might try and get the seedlings started indoors earlier next year.

I did lose a lot to Woodlouse and snails, seems to have been a plague of the criters this year and loads of bloody earwigs.

Think I lost the least from the outside plants.

Also tried upside down planters hanging from hooks but they were a dead loss, will probably swap to hanging baskets and try some cherry tomatoes in those next year, perhaps they don't like being upside down.