Rabbist on caravan site

HAYBURN

Hi GUYS

I know of at least 2 large static caravan sites with a large population of rabbits,they burrow under lodges,caravans and deckings and poss do other

damage.my mum has a van on one of the sites.the sites are open all year,almost empty during the colder months.

I was thinkin of lampin with air rifle....Do any of u guys control rabbits on caravan sites....if so how do u approach the owners?

Any advise and tips please....

I have shot over 2 sites.

1 open all season so no lamping, jus day time shooting so people and pets are easily spotted, first light was the best time to be out and we got sat on a caravan roof (ask the owner first), good vantage point looking over the warren entrances.

The second place was shut a few months over winter so we shot anytime with airrifles.

We also ferretd both locations with good results.

I wouldn't recommend lamping if there is people on site unless they have been told to stay in their caravan/chalet..etc and DON'T shine the lamp through their Windows.

Becareful of ricochet aswel.

Go and have a chat with the owner or site manager.

I wouldn't do it without some sort of insurance either!

Edited by TJ91

I can only imagine that this would end in tragedy...

Shooting around caravans which house children who probably want to sneak out at night (entirely possible) along with people who fancy a midnight stroll :yp: I appreciate that there's a quiet season, but there are just too many variables to be using any firearm in that sort of area.

My extended family have a caravan and I remember as a kid cycling all around the park with kids at night and knocking on caravans and legging it.

As Zapp said, ferrets would probably be the answer.

I'd like to add, that it's really what I am picturing in my mind what it'd be like. There may be a great spot to shoot which is hardly ever used and has great backstops. It's really down to the layout of the land and where the potential risks are..

Edited by Billy.

I have a caravan site and control the rabbits myself, i also deal with the rabbits at another couple of sites. I would never shoot during the season when people can stay, you never know who is out and about at what time, whether they are walking the dog at night or before dusk or coming back from a club at 3 in the morning. Just because you think being up at 5 am is strange its not if you do it day in day out for work. I shut my site from the end of September to Easter so i can shoot a pile of them then.

Do not even think about it without insurance.

I have a caravan on site in Northumberland and it is wick with rabbits.

I have asked the owner if I can take a few when the site closes and he has agreed so will have a go with the NV and the rimfire after January 6th when it closes.There are some areas where it is possible to shoot without harm to the caravans.

Hi guys and girls

sorry not been on sooner pc problems.pigeon forum looks different,unable to open gmail.

possible virus :unsure:

The caravans are owner occupied most of then shut down for the winter.I have insurance.

hoping to go to the site in the next week or two and pluck up the courage to ask them.

Thanks for all your help and advice...... :good:

Edited by HAYBURN

Hi guys and girls

sorry not been on sooner pc problems.pigeon forum looks different,unable to open gmail.

possible virus :unsure:

The caravans are owner occupied most of then shut down for the winter.I have insurance.

hoping to go to the site in the next week or two and pluck up the courage to ask them.

Thanks for all your help and advice...... :good:

Do it whats the worst that can happen.

I have had my site for about 12 years and i have never been asked about someone shooting the rabbits on it not a huge area about 14 acres but my anwser would be no as i do it myself, but it does suprise me as its well know that there are lots of rabbits here. Maybe they know i shoot and that stops them asking.

Do it whats the worst that can happen.

I have had my site for about 12 years and i have never been asked about someone shooting the rabbits on it not a huge area about 14 acres but my anwser would be no as i do it myself, but it does suprise me as its well know that there are lots of rabbits here. Maybe they know i shoot and that stops them asking.

Sounds to me like everyone knows you will say no even though its clear you need a hand as there are so many Rabbits on it. Typical scenario.

Edited by yankeedoodlepigeon

I Manage two caravan parks, One is open all year so dont shoot anything as there is always a risk no matter how quiet the park is, the other one is closed for a month in January so I go and spend a couple of nights with the .410 knocking the numbers down. Wouldnt use the .22lr or the .17hmr as of the risk of ricochett into caravans would use air rifle as alternative.