Looking for pigeon magnet

Jurrasicway

As is often said on here, don't be fooled into buying a cheap one, many problems have been reported with some of the products available and after sale customer service can be non existant.

UKSW advertise on the Forum and their products and customer service are excellent, you also get a Pigeon Watch discount.

Make your own,decent steel,decent welds,twenty quid max. may be heavier but will last forever, never seen a shop market one yet that is sturdy, plus if it dont work you havent spent a packet & you dont feel you have to justifying using it cos you just spent best part of a ton on a magnet.

My uksw magnet was £50 and has lasted for years. It gets used alot and is very sturdy. I wouldn't even bother with the time and effort of making one myself.

If you can afford it go for a good quality LIGHTWEIGHT one. I think UKSW do a good one and I know the Pinewood one is very good, but they are very expensive. I've got a good cheap second hand one I bought of a PW member a couple of years ago and its still going strong and works a treat, but....

It weighs a ton! :oops:

So much so I often leave it if I can't drive to my hide. Along with the batteries, deeks, cartridges and all the other gear you have to carry across a muddy field, it soon adds up to a hernia! So my tip would definitely be to fork out for a good lightweight one. I might get around to following my own advice one of these days :blush:

Edited by Blunderbuss

I have pinwood standard. i have used and made a few in past years but now i will not use anything else. 7amp battery and a very light magnet makes carrying very easy. plus it works in strong wind unlike others that just wipe around then stop then wipe then stop.

shoot warehouse do one very similar and im sure it will work just the same but i havent seen or used so cant give a comparison.

I am going down to UKSW today to have a look through them. I phoned them yesterday and asked about the silosocks Turbo and asked why it was on offer. I was told that they had just bought a job lot from the states and the rest of their magnets are made in the uk in Birmingham.

The silosocks looks ok and has a remote speed control built in to boot :good: , but it looks as if it only has 2 legs to pin it into the ground :hmm: and the other "ultimate" decoy which is about the same price has 4 to keep it stable. I will let you know how I get on and if they give me any forum discount. :D :D :D

Went to Box Farm in Marsh Gibbon and I was really glad that I did. The lady working in the workshop was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. She unpacked three magnets for me to look at and explained the differences. I finally went for the optima which is exactly the same as the pro motion and has a detachable base for ease of carrying. I thought that I could turn the spikes away from the base of my kit bag when carrying so the spikes would not push through the bottom. This model was on offer at £80.

Magnet £79

Battery £16 (only went for the 7 amp as it will last for 6 hours and I do not really go for longer than that)

Timer £20

Kit Bag £15 (went for the monster kit bag instead of rotary bag to fit the rest of my stuff in)

Total £130

Discount 10%

Paid £117

If you do not have a charger you will have to add £20 on to the total (£18 with discount)

Excellent service and prices but really helped going to see them and to talk through the options.

Now time to get out and test my new Kit... :good:

Went to Box Farm in Marsh Gibbon and I was really glad that I did. The lady working in the workshop was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. She unpacked three magnets for me to look at and explained the differences. I finally went for the optima which is exactly the same as the pro motion and has a detachable base for ease of carrying. I thought that I could turn the spikes away from the base of my kit bag when carrying so the spikes would not push through the bottom. This model was on offer at £80.

Magnet £79

Battery £16 (only went for the 7 amp as it will last for 6 hours and I do not really go for longer than that)

Speed Controller £20

Kit Bag £15 (went for the monster kit bag instead of rotary bag to fit the rest of my stuff in)

Total £130

Discount 10%

Paid £117

If you do not have a charger you will have to add £20 on to the total (£18 with discount)

Excellent service and prices but really helped going to see them and to talk through the options.

Now time to get out and test my new Kit... :good:

• 2 weeks later...