Advice Ref Wifes New Business

danielsonson

So, The Wife has been made redundant and being resourceful decided to go into business for herself.

Having vet nursing experience and equestrian qualifications she has set up a Dog Walking, Pet Sitting and Horse Care business called Country Tails.

We are aware of other dog walkers in the area however; She has competitively priced her services, is fully NARPS registered and extensively insured (unlike a lot in our area) so genuinely unique.

We are also advertising the fact that she is working dog friendly (i.e. won't ruin your training) and has a fully converted van.

Can anyone think of any other good ideas to help get the business off the ground?

All advice appreciated and taken on face value.

P.S. if anyone needs her services she works in the A30 corridor from camberley to Englefield Green including Chobham, Lightwater, Bagshot, Deepcut, Ascot, Sunningdale and surrounding.

Sorry shameless plug!

Have a look into Gooogle Adwords, this is something you can set up and manage yourself, it is very easy to do and costs as much as you want it to. I use it can get abut a 10-1 return on my money. The most important thing is the keywords and how you set them up, you have to think like the third person and how they would look and ask a search engine for the service you offer.

Best of luck to you and your wife in the business venture

wrong time of year but holiday care is something to consider (as an intro to regular clients). Word of mouth is key but it's a slow start!

Forums are a good place to get awareness up. Also try adverts at local feed supplies, pet stores (anywhere really) I can't think of anyone who needs her services, but i will keep my eyes & ears open.

Good on you both.

I would ask if you could post notices in your local vet surgeries - I cant see they would mind.

The local shop and butchers would be a good place to advertise.

We have a free mag called 'buy/sell' an advert in there is a useful idea.

Try and get in touch with your local radio and see if they will do a feature on your new business - do an offer of 20% off for over 60's if they agree and advertise that. E.G. Radio Shropshire is a fine example of supporting local businesses.

Try a notice in the local wholefoods/organic shops - lots of peple are starting to use them.

Finally, hows about an advert on 'guns on pegs' or the beaters and pickers up sites.

Oh, yes, get in touch with your local gun dog breeders and agree a discount for dogs bought from them for the dog sitting service.

Lots of things to try.

The very best of good fortune to you both.

Oh one thing we have found, there are many new and interesting dog products in Spain etc good quality leads for stronger breeds - the wider your product base the more opportunity for development.

topless dog walker ehh :hmm: i'd pay for that!....... only joking mate is she qualified for dog health checks or you said about her experience with working dogs could she help with training for people who work and may not have enough time to put in.

good luck to her though mate, i was redundant for a year and it was one really bad, not nice at all.

gry

I would -

* Change the make up of the pages of your website. At the moment all the pages have the same title, description and keywords. You need to better SEO your site so it gets found.

* Join, participate and become part of the community on forums that apply to dog walking etc. Some forums will allow you to add your web address in your signature. Don't go on about your business, offer help and advice.

* Prepare press releases and send interesting stories into your local newspapers. A good accompanying photo is key to this. Local journos are always looking to fill space. Your story should be informative, humorous, involving current affairs or celebrity etc - it shouldnt just appear as a blatant advert. I have written to all of the Royal family telling them about stuff I have done, you always get a reply and hey presto there is your first story - "Local dog walking business gets letter from Queen" - simples :yes:

* Hold a competition in the local paper.

* Arrange a pet show and have your branding everywhere.

* I guess that many people from your area commute into London and they are the people that need dog walking services. Find a way to promote your business at the station. Hand out business cards at the station in the evening or in the morning.

* Identify other target audiences for your services. If you think that maybe pensioners would be interested then go to places were pensioners hang out.

* Join and participate in your local dog clubs.

* Place postcard ads in your local shops and newsagents.

* Advertise in a local services or residents magazine. We get a both and I have advertised a previous business in them and it works.

* Start a Facebook group and invite everyone you know.

* Start a Blog about the business with tips, news etc - this is a very Google friendly. (i.e. your site will be better found as a result

* Regularly tweet or twitter about doggie related stuff.

* Have the van signwritten or covered in fur, create a crazy statement that draws attention

* Get cheap business cards made on Vistaprint and give them away as much as you can to as many people as you can.

* Start strategic alliances with other local businesses i.e. find complimenting local businesses and agree to promote each others businesses. i.e. house sitters, cleaners, window cleaners, estate agents, removal companies - think of every scenario when people wont have time to do this service themselves.

* Join and go to some networking events. There are ones like BNI and others. This takes patience but the idea is that the other members of the group promote your services and you promote theirs.

* There is a good forum called www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk there are many clever people on there who will also make useful suggestions (and push their services so be careful!)

* Go on a pigeon shooting forum and ask advice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! thank you to you all for such quick and useful advice. I have just read out all posts to my wife and she is feeling considerably more bouyant! Thank you.

We have set up adwords and I am hoping that momentum will build. All other ideas will be actioned this week, I will update you on their success. Thanks from us both!

D + S :-)

We have set up adwords and I am hoping that momentum will build. All other ideas will be actioned this week, I will update you on their success. Thanks from us both!

D + S :-)

You can spunk a load of dosh for no return on adwords if you dont know what you are doing.

The adwords are only there for as long as you pay their fees. If you instead paid someone to better SEO your website the effects will last longer.

Google "299 steps to website heaven" by Nikki Pilkington and read her other stuff about blogs etc.

You can download the 299 steps here - http://www.buildmeafabwebsite.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/downloads-manager/upload/SEO%20299%20steps-Nikki%20Pilkington.pdf

Edited by ME

Good advice their from ME...(i think i will have to take some of that myself) other places to offer services are animal shelters and alike (the ones that rehome dogs) Join as many facebook groups as you can (set the business a profile with cute dog pictures and just post some cute dog pictures with stories etc)

Google likes updated content (news, blogs etc) thats why forums rate so highly. Look for unanswered posts and answer them.

Almost every breed of dog has an "owners club" that has a website and runs events (go along to learn more about the breed)

Costco often run free business things where you get to put leaflets on a table or similar and talk about your business.

Farmers markets, Point to point meets are all good venues to try in the flesh but i recon there will be facebook groups websites and forums to go with them.

Get testimonials from clients and have a page on the site for them, also you can offer existing customers a referral discount.

Gumtree could be worth a try, found a competitor here: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/classifieds/Dogs%20%26%20Pets

Try contacting http://www.chobhamroadvets.co.uk/online-services/local-services/category.php?CatId=15 as they have a page on their website but no links (link exchanges can work so perhaps offer to list other companies on your site for a link on their site (all the people you would think a got/horse owner may need and if you like you can take it a bit further, would be wise to check out the companies your linking to are decent etc)

More

Start a profile on Freeindex

Add your business (or home) address to Google places (in your business name)

Submit for a free listing in Yell.com (but dont pay to advertise)

Start a profile in BT Tradespace

Start a profile on Linked In.

What about scenarios where people temporarily cant walk their dogs after an accident or operation? Contact rehab charities, physios, hospitals and doctors surgeries.

Go to places like country parks where people walk their dogs, park up your signwritten van and give out business cards.

Write into the letters section of local and national papers and dog magazines. Not blatant adverts but comment on things that effect dog owners. Include your company name under your name.

Contact local dog groomers and promote each others businesses.

Edited by ME

Organise a local sponsored charity dog walking event.

Host a charity event for a local dogs / animal home.

Have branded poo bags made up with your company name and number on them and give them away.

Look up dog related record attempts in the Guinness Book of Records and make an attempt to beat a record or create your own record.

Find all your local celebrities - (don't Cliff, Cilla and Brucie live in Surrey?) and write to them to see if they want your services.

Create a profile of busy people (i.e. too busy to walk a dog) and target them.

Join a local charity club like the Lions, Ladies Circle or Rotary, it is a great way to get to meet lots of local people - but never push your services.

Collect all the email addresses of clients and potential clients and send a monthly newsletter using software such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp.

Offer a free trial for your services, some people might abuse it, but some will feel obliged to continue paying for the service.

Add "how to" and "top tips" items on your blog / twitter / facebook / website / newsletter i.e. how to safely clip a dogs claws.

Sponsor a kit for a team at a local football / rugby club having your business name on the front.

Have removable magnetic signs made up for your car with your business name and number.

Buy a Scooby Doo costume (on fleabay) and wear it whilst out walking dogs in the high street on a Saturday. Give out balloons and business cards whilst wearing it. Get a photo and submit it to the papers.

Create a talk about dog care that you could do at schools / cubs / scouts / the WI.

Have a pitch at local fetes / events and run a fun competition / raffle.

Train your dog to be useless and apply for Britains Got Talent (it worked with the Chihuahua lady in the last series)

Study dog psychology and set yourself up as the next Barbara Woodhouse / Victoria Stillwell / dog whisperer and get your own TV show.

Have a loyalty card that you stamp every time you walk a customers dog and do every tenth walk for free.

Have car window stickers made up and ask local friends and family to put them in the window of their cars.

Contact your local radio station and try to get an interview on the radio.

Have branded fleeces and polo shirts made up and wear them as much as possible.

Contact the local council about sponsoring a roundabout.

Start a local "clear up after your dog campaign".

Dress up as a super hero, call yourself "dog poo man / woman" and promote the fact that you are a local anti dog poo on pavements vigilante. (get photos for the papers)

Get a pretty, large chested girl to wear a bikini around town with your company name on it.

Sponsor a banner link on a dog related forum (like the ones at the top of PW)

Start your own dog walkers forum.

If there isn't one already, start a national dog walkers club / association and approach companies to offer members discounts for dog walkers insurance etc.

Make helpful posts on forums like moneysavingexpert and netmums and add your website address into your signature.

Join the school PTA and help them with fundraising, again a good way to meet lots of local people.

Teach a dog to say "sausages" and get Esther Rantzen to bring back "That's Life" for one last series.

Do a streak at a Rugby match or sporting event and have your company name written on your bottom.

Go on Dragons Den and ask for investment (I bet you £5 that Duncan Bannatyne doesn't invest - he never does)

Buy a DOG private plate for your car and send the story to the papers etc

Change your middle name to DOG thru Deedpoll and send the story to the papers

Create a calendar girls type wall calendar with only a lead and poo bags hiding your modesty

Buy a brass name plate for your house and call it "The Dog House" or some such like - send it to papers.

Start a local keep fit drive involving dog walking

Start a local dog walking club

Edited by ME

Change your company name to iDogwalk or Virgindogwalking or Easydogwalk and pretend that it is a Steve Jobs / Richard Branson / Stellios related enterprise. (not really)

Make "how to" videos and submit them on Youtube i.e. how to remove a tick

Have the largest dog lead in the world made and use it as a promotional tool.

Run the London Marathon or do the London to Brighton bike ride with a dog.

Tell the papers that you took a bump to the head and since then you think you are a dog (cock your leg and sniff peoples crotches to make it seem real)

Sell vouchers on Fleabay for £2 off your dog walking service.

Start / join a local residents association / neighbourhood watch scheme. (you get to meet locals)

Apply for the next series of The Apprentice.

Create your own brand of healthy dog food / dog snacks.

Start a web shop selling dog related items.

Put business cards under car windscreen wipers in car parks (although you have to be careful about littering)

Write articles about the healthy benefits of walking your dog and submit to your blog and internet press release / article sites.

Add your website and business details to local listings sites and directories like touchlocal and bestof.

Create a local internet portal / forum for your town (if there isn't one already)

Contact the local council about creating a local dog walking route guide.

Start a website promoting local dog friendly businesses and places to go.

Start your own local or support a national "a dog is for life, not just Christmas campaign"

Support a local dogs home by getting involved in their fund raising and PR - promote this on your website.

Support dog related causes on your website by promoting neutering and micro chipping (if that's what you agree with)

Have a local lost dog section on your website.

Have a local dog re-homing section on your website.

In the summer write letters and articles about the dangers of owners leaving their dogs in the car on a hot day.

Create micro websites (short one or two page mini websites) through keyword related domain names like www.dogwalkingascot.co.uk (don't buy hyphenated domain names)

Create dedicated individual town pages on your website to promote your services i.e. www.yourwebsite.co.uk/dog-walking-ascot these pages are very Google friendly. (use hyphens to split the words NOT underscores)

Create a Yahoo Group for your business.

Use a proper email address like you@yourbusiness.co.uk not bigboydan123@gmail.com

Request the birthdays of the dogs of your clients and send them fun birthday cards (sounds stupid but keeps you in the owners mind)

Add a photo gallery section to your website and ask people to send in funny or interesting photos.

Have a dog food / dog product review section on your website.

Write articles about the positive and therapeutic benefits of dog ownership.

Create polls on your website i.e. what is the best working dog, what dog makes the best pet.

Sell dog art / prints on your website.

Have a dog photography competition on your website.

Include stories from history of famous or heroic dogs on your website.

Have a charity section on your website where people can donate to the Guide Dogs / hearing dogs and other good causes.

Dog walking is a good business but it does take time to build up and get known. There are websites that you can advertise for free in your area.

www.dogwalkingnow.co.uk is a good one but probably others just as good. Forget the gimmicks the best way to get known in an area is to be seen by other dog owners when out walking their dogs because dog owners network among themselves. A sign written van is invaluable from that point of view.

But keep on plugging away and its a can't fail business it just takes time. Most forms of advertising like local papers etc are quite expensive relative to what you get back.

My son did it while on a gap year from Uni and it didn't take him long to get three walks. That was good enough for him, the beauty is that most are every day so its a regular income from day one. Thats why its such a perfect business, ten dogs on a regular basis and you are flying. See the dog walkers on Hampstead Heath or Bristol up on the downs. They turn up with van loads at a time

What he did was to get a load of leaflets printed, which I paid for, and delivered them door to door. That worked but interestingly none of the jobs came from places he had delivered to so people obviously pass them on. They keep them too because we are still getting phone calls now 18 months on.

Leaflets work but you have to deliver thousands. I have a business in the cleaning industry so I asked around who was doing the best deals on leaflets and ordered about 20,000. They are not dear. Then you go out and deliver 500+ a day until they are all gone. Make sure all the local pet shops, vets etc have some.

Get a local street map and colour in each road as you do it so you can keep track. Don't expect instant results though.

I can ask around again about deals on leaflets if you like

Edited by Vince Green