Practice............

SNAKEBITE

I got up this morning with the expectation that it was going to to be precipitating in a most unagreeable manner so packed up the gear last night for a plinking session, just to keep my hand in.

As it was not raining at first I took a wander round but as the weather set in I retired to the cow shed for a go on the targets.

The truth was that I badly need a bit of practice. Over the last couple of months my groups seem to have opened right up. I kind of suspected this as I have missed a few sitters recently when hunting. The scope was out 4 click right and 4 clicks up but even this didn't help really.

The good news was that after a bit of practice it seemed to sort itself out a bit.

What I would like to know is how many of you practice, how often and how do you improve your technique.

Hi,

I print some rabbit head targets of the internet and stick them on cardboard and then get some wooden kebab sticks and poke these in the target and then in the ground. I also get a thin bendy stick and put it through the ring pull on a coke can and I then stuck the stick in a plastic ring on a fence so the can sticks out. I was hitting this every time yesterday off the shoulder at 60 yards giving it 3 mildots holdover and 1 mildot crossover to the left to allow for the wind. :no:

FM :no:

Snakebite

Has the gun been knocked about ............I haven't adjusted my scope on my Air gun in about 2 years now so do you think the conditions have played a role ,temperature ,wind and rain eg .

It's through past experience that I now very rarely touch a scope once it's zero'd ...........unless the gun as been dropped or knocked even .

Could it be that these sitters were due to range guess work ..............One of the best additions to a legal limit Air rifle shooter is a range finder

As for practicing it's normally in the field on the job ..............If I have an easy miss I'll just select a target (Fence post )and see whats the rifle is doing that day .

Don't be surprised if later on your moving that scope back 4 clicks to what it was .

I do remember knocking the barrel on a wall a couple of weeks ago but it didn't seem to be that hard a knock, who knows though?

I do check the securing bolts at regular intervals just to ensure nothing is creeping. Another factor maybe that I had just cleaned the barrel. A fair bit of muck came out so who knows!

4 clicks @30yds is not a lot anyway, 6mm or so. It was just enough to group it all around the inner circle on those Bisley targets. This was on a 'pod so not really much of an achievment!

It was standing shots @ 30yds that saw the groups opening up. :no:

I tend to check my aim every now and then and especially if the shot doesnt go the way I planned it. But range estimation might not be helping you. I have got myself into a habbit of pacing each and every shot I have taken and compare the results to my initial estimation. I have found this to inprove my ranging extensively.

As for the standing shot, it sounds like you need to build your confidence back up. Try takeing a few shots kneeling. When your confidence has grown, move on to those standing shots again.

As for the standing shot, it sounds like you need to build your confidence back up.

If anything it is over confidence!

I assume that I can take the shot because I used to be able to hit things at that range!

I think it is down to technique, or lack of it now I haven't got a springer! Bad habits are creeping in!

where can i get a range finder as im new an di believe this will help me learn different ranges

Don't do it!

Axe is right - pacing is the best way and far cheaper. Pace to the spot, and then look back to see where you were shooting from as a double reminder check of the range.

Will get you fitter as well.

The wife used to think I was nuts when I used to do this when out shopping with her. It was the best thing about shopping!

Don

'Hmmm I wonder how far that clothes rail is.. pace... pace.. pacce.. its 6 yards darling!'

:good:

Im thinking of buying a range finder, but thats for use with the .222 where I dont want to pace 200 yards too often :no:

Also generally a nice tool to have for other stuff too.

But when airgunning I always pace out the range. Very important to get to know what range you shoot stuff at, and what range you zeroed at.

I like to pace out targets at 25 35 and 45 yards any targets will do printable rabbits heads or score cards then I practice 10 shot groups using the different distances helps you guestimate range when hunting though I don't think I'd try to kill over 30-35 yards.

I also have a test shot before I leave the house, at the moment its butter cups on the back lawn at about 25 yards from the bedroom window! The thing is I dont have enough pests to hunt in the area at the moment (good for the farmers and gardeners not so good for my sport!) so if I don't shoot targets I dont shoot for long periods!

You can never practice too much!

:good: i practice once a week as i'm one of a few people running our club, but you can never get too much practice!!! (i'd love to be out more but it's difficult as i'm also a full-time security officer & my shifts are all over the place :P ). when i'm taking a standing shot (& these are my worst!), i find a relaxed breathing technique works quite well most of the time, try it for yourself (take the shot as you slowly breath out...) :welcomeani: