Joe Frazier RIP

MM

I used to do a bit of boxing in my teens, fought at the Wimpey amateurs event in Bristol once. Remember watching a recording of the "Thriller" in 75 with a few of the lads at the club....what an incredible fight...

Also remember Ali...taking the proverbial out of Joe with a big toy Gorilla on the Parky show...Kept punching him while shouting out " its Joe Frazier, Joe Frazier, Joe frazier" and on BBC ....couldnt do that now...

Sad way to go for a very courageous fighter.

yes sad loss , remember watching all the great boxing legends along with my dad during the 70's and 80's.

whats happened to professional boxing why as it gone so flat , it used to be really popular when i was growing up.

my old man and his brothers used to run a boxing club at the white horse public house in radford nottm back then , real spit and sawdust :yes:

A very good, but not all time great heavyweight. A bit like Henry Cooper - floored Ali and lived off it.

Got slaughtered by George Foreman, who was the most fearsome heavyweight I have ever seen.

A very sad end to a proud man.

IMO,your way underestimating Smokin Joes legacy as a heavyweight.He gave Ali pure hell and in the 3rd fight if it was held nowadays Ali would be disqualified.I remember reading that the ref had told Ali about illegal holding over 100 times during the fight,and didnt even take a point off.Frazier should be remembered as an ATG,beating the likes of Jerry Quarry,Bob Foster,Ali and George Chuvalo who would all be contenders in HW division today.He was a big player in a golden era.

IMO,your way underestimating Smokin Joes legacy as a heavyweight.He gave Ali pure hell and in the 3rd fight if it was held nowadays Ali would be disqualified.I remember reading that the ref had told Ali about illegal holding over 100 times during the fight,and didnt even take a point off.Frazier should be remembered as an ATG,beating the likes of Jerry Quarry,Bob Foster,Ali and George Chuvalo who would all be contenders in HW division today.He was a big player in a golden era.

Can't add much other than :stupid:

I don't think I am underestimating Smoking Joe. He was a fine heavyweight in his time and gave Ali three hard fights.

Foreman flattened him twice - Joe wasn't big enough to shake Foreman and could not withstand Foreman's punch - Ali could and beat beat Foreman.

In the list of all time greats, I just don't think Joe was up there with Jack Johnson, Dempsey, Ali, Foreman, Joe Louis and Liston. I suspect he would have struggled with Lennox Lewis and the Klitschkos.

As for the Thrilla in Manilla - points deductions don't come in to it. He quit.

His death is a tragedy, but I don't want to get carried away.

He was a big player in a golden era.

No argument with that. :good: :good:

I don't think I am underestimating Smoking Joe. He was a fine heavyweight in his time and gave Ali three hard fights.

Foreman flattened him twice - Joe wasn't big enough to shake Foreman and could not withstand Foreman's punch - Ali could and beat beat Foreman.

In the list of all time greats, I just don't think Joe was up there with Jack Johnson, Dempsey, Ali, Foreman, Joe Louis and Liston. I suspect he would have struggled with Lennox Lewis and the Klitschkos.

As for the Thrilla in Manilla - points deductions don't come in to it. He quit.

His death is a tragedy, but I don't want to get carried away.

No argument with that. :good: :good:

Check your facts fella.Frazier didnt quit,Eddie Futch in his corner stopped the fight.Just because the famous "quote" by Ali was,"he quit just before i did" doesnt mean he did.

Anyhoo,no need for bickering,a true boxer and character has gone,RIP.

Edited by sako751sg

Also just for the record it was Ali who instructed his cornerman to cut his gloves off because he wasn't coming back out to carry on. He didn't know but at the time Joe's corner were telling the referee they were pulling Joe out of the fight. Someone could have easily died that night. It was a truly epic fight and one of boxings best I think.