waterproofing your boots

darren m

what do you use to waterproof your leather hunting , beating , walking boots eg - polish , wax , dubbing etc.

i,ve just finished off a tub of stuff ( cant remember the name ) i got from a game fair ages ago , mrs as used it mainly for her leather accessories :oops:

chap told me the other day though that it rots the stitching eventually

is there anything better

cheers

i use Leder Gris from Altberg that i got with my boots its an all natural product, i also use Leather Genie and Renapur which i've been told is a natural product of blended beeswax jojoba oil and tea tree oils on my leather shooting stuff gun slips and cart bags etc but also good for boots.

Leather genie is the best value and gives great results.

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

I use URAD comes in a yellow tub available from Arthur CarterI bought mine about 5 years ago from the yorkshire show and i've still got half a tub. Its good for proofing and getting rid of light scratches but doesn't buff to a good shine like polish will, but as it for 'working boots' not really an issue.

I just use the nikwak stuff at the moment but have used dubbin previously.

I'm with you Billy I think that supeer dry stuff looks like the job, as long as you dont need to wash the item of clothing.

If you look on their website, washing the item doesn't rid it of the spray. You have to use alcohol.

Because it repels water, dirt can't physically stick to it, so you wouldn't need to wash it anyway ;)

I just use the nikwak stuff at the moment but have used dubbin previously.

I'm with you Billy I think that supeer dry stuff looks like the job, as long as you dont need to wash the item of clothing.

One of the best leather waterproofers I have come across is Snowseal, its American contains such exotic ingredients as bear fat. Its a bit of a slaister putting it on , boots are best warm and a hair drier helps and plenty rubbing in. Oh and your hands will be l-o-v-e-l-y and soft afterwards. Last stuff I bought was from mountaineering outlet Graham Tiso and I expect it will be for sale on line also.

Blackpowder

A while back someone on here suggested Hydrobloc cream........whoever it was knew what he was talking about, as he put me right on my ideas of dubbing, it's not particularly good in the long run.

I've used nothing else since as it's brill' stuff, smells like marzipan too if that floats your boat :rolleyes: