Driven Woodcock

adam f

I had a day out with the Okehampton Woodcock Club yesterday with a view to joining and shooting a bit over the season with them.

A really great experiance - proper hunting, true wild birds in a stunning setting, mixed woodland and forestry in the middle of Exmoor just outside of Okehampton, Devon.

My mate Gary and I met with 5 of the others in a Little Chef for brekkie around 9am before heading out into the plantations and starting shooting around 10am. The plan was shoot one, beat one so with 2 teams of 3 and Barry floating in-between we cracked on. Dale had been insistant on explaining to us that these were wild birds and it is early in the season so dont expect big numbers. He also explained it was hard going.

On the first drive we flushed 5 birds in all but none made the bag - they dont get the repuation of being hard to shoot for nothing! Still it was an awesome sight to be beating through such amazing woodland and then the clatter of wings before the majestic woodcock dips and curls around the tree tops!

Second drive drew a blank, third drive and Stu's cockers put up a bird that was dropped and signalled a proper start to the season!

All in all we managed 9 drives through the day and everyone had at least a couple of chances - but boy are they tough to shoot. Dale dropped a couple of cracking birds that others in the line had missed - he's a mean shot with that little 28 bore!

I have shot woodcock before but only when they have flushed out of a pheasant drive - being on a proper day for them was a completely different experiance. I managed to break by duck on the last drive of the day - dropped it with the first barrel, broke the gun to re-load just as another flushed behind! - a chance of a left and right missed!

To finish the day we stayed for the evening flight - an awesome way to finish off, stodd in the halflight awaiting the birds heating out to feed. The flight was breif, maybe 10 mins but hectic, we saw maybe 6 where I saw stood, I had a cracking chance at a pair but fluffed both but Gary next door managed one as did a few of the other guys.

We finished with 9 Woodcock and a squirrel, we flushed / saw 32 birds in total, which is great for so early in the season. Cant wait till next time.

Woodcock.jpg

Edited by adam f

Glad to hear you and Gary had a good day, I was very please with how the day panned out as i think everybody had some shooting and most managed to bag a bird including gary with his first ever Woodcock, mind you i am glad he missed a couple as it gave me the chances i need to bag my first of the season :D:D

See you again soon

Dale

On a shoot out my way, youd be fined if you shot one.

Thats because Native Sedentary woodcock are scare in GB these days and numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate.

The sub species which migrate to us from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe is very slightly different and does not interbreed with the native species because they migrate back again in the late winter early spring.

I suspect when the OP says wild birds they are actually migrants, albeit wild.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

The club has a massive amount of land, 80% of which is so thick it's impossible to access, shoot and disturb. The 20% they do shoot is mainly around the outskirts of the woods.

The club have shot the land for 25 years and monitor numbers of woodcock carefully, they shoot a very, very small proportion of the birds on the ground.

What I'm saying is the ground isnt shot to death and they guys really look after it - making it a sustainable wild / migratory bird shoot - comparable with wild fowling over a large marsh I reckon.