Some very basic shotgun questions

Stratts

Ok so I have my 1st shotgun and got on ok the 1st time I used it but I have some very basic shotgun q's for ya.

1) Which barrel usually fires 1st on a single trigger baikal o/u?

2) Which barrel is half and which 3/4 choke and why when they are fixed?

3) If I was to draw a cross on a big bit of board and aimed at it from 30 yards along the bead/barrel, where would the spread of shot be, ie, above/below/centered, etc?

4) Do different cartridges end up patterning the board differently in location as well as spread?

5) Do you clean the barrels after every outing even after say 25 or 50 clays?

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll think of more!!

Cheers

1) Which barrel usually fires 1st on a single trigger baikal o/u? bottom barrel

2) Which barrel is half and which 3/4 choke and why when they are fixed? bottom barrel

3) If I was to draw a cross on a big bit of board and aimed at it from 30 yards along the bead/barrel, where would the spread of shot be, ie, above/below/centered, etc? should be 2/3 above

4) Do different cartridges end up patterning the board differently in location as well as spread? yes depending on shot size

5) Do you clean the barrels after every outing even after say 25 or 50 clays? yes

hope this helps

Deershooter

1)Depends if your gun has a selector-you can switch barrels.

2)In fixed choke guns the tighter choke is usually top.

3)Depends on how you mount the gun.Everyone holds them differently so best thing to do would be pattern it yourself.

4)I've only ever patterned one brand of cartridge to be honest so no idea if they're different.

5)Not always-depends if im feeling lazy.

Ok so I have my 1st shotgun and got on ok the 1st time I used it but I have some very basic shotgun q's for ya.

1) Which barrel usually fires 1st on a single trigger baikal o/u? usually bottom, but might be selective, does it have a button on the safety catch which flicks side to side

2) Which barrel is half and which 3/4 choke and why when they are fixed? most likely bottom half, top 3/4,

3) If I was to draw a cross on a big bit of board and aimed at it from 30 yards along the bead/barrel, where would the spread of shot be, ie, above/below/centered, etc? 70% above and 30% bellow is about right for a sporter

4) Do different cartridges end up patterning the board differently in location as well as spread? yes, depending on speed, wad type, load and shot size

5) Do you clean the barrels after every outing even after say 25 or 50 clays? end of each outing

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll think of more!!

Cheers

1) Which barrel usually fires 1st on a single trigger baikal o/u?

As said - Some guns are selectable, but easyy enough to find out if you just load two carts, fire one, and open the gun to see which one fired.

2) Which barrel is half and which 3/4 choke and why when they are fixed?

You might find that the half will fire first, purely because a target will be closer initially, and if you need a 2nd shot, the tighter 3/4 will be more suitable for a longer distance.

3) If I was to draw a cross on a big bit of board and aimed at it from 30 yards along the bead/barrel, where would the spread of shot be, ie, above/below/centered, etc?

Depends if the gun is trap/sporter etc... Patterning can be an interesting thing to do, so just have a go.

4) Do different cartridges end up patterning the board differently in location as well as spread?

Different velocity carts might drop at different speeds, but at typical shotgun ranges, you'll not notice a great deal of difference.

5) Do you clean the barrels after every outing even after say 25 or 50 clays?

Usually, yes.

Hope that helps.

When shooting at the cross don't "aim down the bead" as such as this won't give you a true picture of were your shooting. Just stare at the cross slowly mount the gun and fire :good:. I clean them after every outing mainly because they get covered in all sorts of rubbish :good: the same cartridge will pattern differently in different guns and the same for different carts in the same gun. Don't get to caught up in choke, cartridge etc concentrate on a smooth swing gun mount and feet position. Dry mounting ( unloaded of cause) will help build the muscle memory up ! .....no such thing as a stupid question mate

Edited by mpk

"dry mounting" yeh i read in a book (dangerous) to stand with your gun broken standing facing a wall and then close and raise your gun and slowly swing/follow the join of the cieling /walls allong half of the left hand wall allong the flat wall in front of you and half way allong the next, to build muscle memory and get used to the gun pointing where you want it to, it sounds silly and very easy but when i first tryed it i found my gun wobbeling a fair bit, yet after a while this stopped and my gun mount and swinging motion became smoother..

Don't get to caught up in choke, cartridge etc concentrate on a smooth swing gun mount and feet position. Dry mounting ( unloaded of cause) will help build the muscle memory up ! .....no such thing as a stupid question mate

All of this.

Dry mounting practice transformed my shooting. Now when I stick the gun in my shoulder it goes in the right place and shoots where I look. I still cock it up occasionally, but I know instantly from the feel when I have, and can fix it in milliseconds.

Get your feet right too - this may take some time and experimentation to understand, but your feet position naturally affects your whole body position, and therefore affects everything from how easily you can mount your gun, to whether you are going to be off balance and wobbling when you pull the trigger.